My "new to me" stealth camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurdyOrnery

Reaction score
[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]NewStealthCamper 2019.jpgNewStealthCamper B 2019.jpgNewStealthCamper C 2019.jpg
I'll retire in 17 months. I was planning on buying a brand new cargo trailer to build out myself, but I found one for sale that was basically exactly what I was [/font]
[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]planning [/font][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]on purchasing. Ramp back door, camper side door, insulated, water and electrical power connections, TV, stereo, cabinets, drop down tables, and a bed. It's a 7.5' x 12', undercoated, new tires, privacy screen mounted in the back. Nearly identical to what I was planning. It is an older trailer but then again, the man was only asking $2,800. His father recently passed and he was in Arkansas liquidating his father's estate and needed the money. I was planning on a 7'x14' trailer, but I'm only giving up 8 square feet of space, basically one foot off the back of the trailer. My problem? I didn't have $2,800. I had $1,000...so I asked a family member for a loan. He said yes, and I went to get my trailer! I work at a state park, and plan to do some work camping after retirement. When I arrived at our meeting place, the owner really did a good job of showing me his trailer! I told him of my future plans, and he asked me if I had the $2,800 and still wanted his trailer. When I said YES!.....he said, "just give me $2,500 and she's yours." The title is clear and I've already got it licensed in my name. I only have to add a vent fan and I'm buying it tomorrow. I'm getting excited about my retirement plans now.[/font]

Attachments

• NewStealthCamper 2019.jpg
    NewStealthCamper 2019.jpg
    41.5 KB
  • NewStealthCamper B 2019.jpg
    NewStealthCamper B 2019.jpg
    82.8 KB
  • NewStealthCamper C 2019.jpg
    NewStealthCamper C 2019.jpg
    68.9 KB
The saying....what's not to like...fits this one to a T. Congratulations, it is perfect and think of all the time and money that you saved finding it ready made. Plus no need to bargain to get the price lowered? Home run on your new home!

You lucked out for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWEET you walked into a deal you love. cool. Enjoy working on your new rig :)

Congratulations. Most people have to wait quite awhile to find their rig. You may want to check the date codes on the tires. They may look new but they do age out. You don't want a tire coming apart on the highway as it will tear up more than just the tire.

Looks nice. Appears to be VERY worth the $$$$ too.

What are you towing it with? (God, please don't say "Ford Explorer...")

(Make sure your transmission has fresh juice flush and a cooler on it.
If your $$$ situation is as described, it will be your best investment to protect against pricey failure.)

Congratulations, definitely right place at the right time...  Looks like a sweet build and such a great deal.  So clean, and most of the work is already done for you.  Plus, you bought it for little more than what a quality trailer would sell for by itself... and the aero cap is a bonus.  Looking at the pic with the counter top and bar stools I'm thinking all you might need is an Expresso machine up front and you'd have your very own pop-up coffee shop.  Lol!

I really like the aero cap for better fuel efficiency, and the folding bed to make the trailer usable as a hauler when not camping. Good luck !

Hi all, I got the creeping crud on Saturday, and I finally feel somewhat normal again today.

Upon retirement, my retirement "take home" will be quite a bit more than I'm taking home right now. Also, I've very carefully planned to have all my bills paid off within 2 months after my retirement date. That includes my mortgage and the loan for the purchase of my little trailer. I've also been sticking funds into an IRA for more than 10 years (via payroll deduction so I never see it.) I'll have about $1,200 from Social Security, $900 from Arkansas Public Employees, and $230 from Arkansas Teacher Retirement. Plus a couple rather hefty lump sums from unused annual, holiday, and sick leave. I see SO many people struggling that I really tried to squirrel away extra when I had it over the years. That doesn't mean I'm rich, but I will have "enough."

I haven't purchased a tow vehicle as yet, but it will probably be a state fleet vehicle (Probably a Ford) from one of the parks that has reached its 100,000 mile trade out limit. I wouldn't mind purchasing the vehicle that I use daily at work right now. It's a 2010 Ford Cargo van with just over 100,000 miles on it. Why? Because I KNOW exactly what kind of maintenance it's received over the years. (My employer is meticulous when it comes to fleet maintenance.) Good lawd, he Armor-Alls the FLOORS in his police vehicle. I hate it when he hits the brakes too fast. I could fall right in the floor from the slick seats. I can't say that about all the park fleet, but the ones here? NOT a problem!

I am probably going to change to a full size bed in the trailer, but still "foldable" and stowable. I've been shopping! I'm very frugal by nature, but I'm also a packrat, so I've had to learn to talk myself out of buying stuff that I don't have room for, or need.

I really like the smooth walls in the trailer. I'm going to be able to use peel & stick wallpaper on them in a woodgrain pattern. That way I can have the look of wood without the weight. You can't see it in the pictures, but the previous owner also left the air mattress and a brand new propane camp stove and all kinds of tiedowns in the cabinets.

Maybe I can go get that fan tomorrow. The other day I got sick and wasn't able to go pick up my used Fantastic Fan. Looking forward to the future. :)

HELLO AND CONGRATULATIONS ON FINDING SUCH A GOOD DEAL ON YOUR TRAILER,  IT LOOKS VERY NICE AND TIDY.

I'M WITH BC ON THE TIRE SITUATION.   ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO OVER A 3 MO. PERIOD I WENT FROM A RANGER XLT 4X4 PICKUP AND A VIKING POPUP THAT WOULD SLEEP 7 TO A SAFARI HIGHTOP CONVERSION VAN AND A ALINER POP UP THAT WILL SLEEP APPX 2...DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH ROOM QUEENIE MY ATTACK CHIHUAHUA DECIDES SHE NEEDS TO SLEEP  ;) 

THEN I LEARNED THAT BOTH THE VAN AND TRAILER HAD TIRES THAT WERE 10yrs OLD.  SO I HAD TO BUY 5 TIRES AND A FULL SIZE STEEL WHEEL FOR THE SAFARI AND 3 TIRES AND HAVE THE BEARINGS SERVICED ON THE ALINER.  I KNEW THE VAN NEEDED TIRES  HOWEVER THE ALINERS LOOKED NEARLY NEW. 

I LIKE THE ACE PARKS AND THERE ARE 2 LESS THAN 100 MILES NORTH OF ME HERE IN AL.  ALTHOUGH MY FAVORITE IS LAKE BARDWELL.  IT'S JUST OUTSIDE OF ENNIS TEXAS ABOUT 40mls  SOUTH OF DALLAS.

I HOPE YOU CAN FIND THE PERFECT PLACE TO WORKAMP IN.  DO YOU KNOW THAT WORKAMPER NEWS OFFERS A FREE ONLINE EDTION?

JEWELL ANN

HELLO AND CONGRATULATIONS ON FINDING SUCH A GOOD DEAL ON YOUR TRAILER,  IT LOOKS VERY NICE AND TIDY.

I'M WITH BC ON THE TIRE SITUATION.   ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO OVER A 3 MO. PERIOD I WENT FROM A RANGER XLT 4X4 PICKUP AND A VIKING POPUP THAT WOULD SLEEP 7 TO A SAFARI HIGHTOP CONVERSION VAN AND A ALINER POP UP THAT WILL SLEEP APPX 2...DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH ROOM QUEENIE MY ATTACK CHIHUAHUA DECIDES SHE NEEDS TO SLEEP  ;) 

THEN I LEARNED THAT BOTH THE VAN AND TRAILER HAD TIRES THAT WERE 10yrs OLD.  SO I HAD TO BUY 5 TIRES AND A FULL SIZE STEEL WHEEL FOR THE SAFARI AND 3 TIRES AND HAVE THE BEARINGS SERVICED ON THE ALINER.  I KNEW THE VAN NEEDED TIRES  HOWEVER THE ALINERS LOOKED NEARLY NEW. 

I LIKE THE ACE PARKS AND THERE ARE 2 LESS THAN 100 MILES NORTH OF ME HERE IN AL.  ALTHOUGH MY FAVORITE IS LAKE BARDWELL.  IT'S JUST OUTSIDE OF ENNIS TEXAS ABOUT 40mls  SOUTH OF DALLAS.

I HOPE YOU CAN FIND THE PERFECT PLACE TO WORKAMP IN.  DO YOU KNOW THAT WORKAMPER NEWS OFFERS A FREE ONLINE EDITION?

JEWELL ANN

I remembered seeing a fold down bed show that was inside a sprinter. Very simple, adjustable height, next to zero carpentry involved for the bed itself. The link below is to the interview Bob did on cheapRVliving youtube channel. The bed is show at 6:45 in the video.

Great buy! I found a low milage rust free 1993 diesel ambulance (80k) or I'd have done a trailer as I have a great tow vehicle but really love the ambulance. It's the last full year of the 7.3 IDI diesel (no computer), 250 amp altonator, heat & air front & back, everything works great. looks 2 years old, not even seat tears. No blowby at all, new tires, altonateror, & batteries last year, full build prints so I know where the wires go. From a rich small suburb of Detroit fire dept & was the 2nd or spare ambulance. I have a 101" x 10' deckover tilt snowmobile trailer with a splash guard.
Before you leave I'd have the bearings repacked and/or replaced & new tires. Gongrats you got a winner!

Doubleone said:
Hey, so where you taking it for the first adventure?

I honestly don't know. However, since time will no longer be at a premium, I will probably go visit people that I haven't seen in at least 40 years. FB is wonderful! I've managed to find everyone I've ever lost! Tomorrow is not promised and I *hope* to make up some time and visit a friend in Paoli, Indiana. The last time I saw him in person we were both 21. He's had some serious health issues in the last couple years, but appears to be stable now. Then on to Eudora, Kansas where my best friend lives for a couple weeks. We have seen each other fairly recently, but there are still too many miles between us. Let me see....I'd like to travel Montana and Wyoming during the summer time and visit some of the national parks and other beautiful places. Then there's a friend who lives in Nevada, I'd like to revisit our friendship from when I was 16. Why yes, he WAS the boy next door and my dad booted him to the curb after our first date. But we've remained friends all these years. Just like to see him in person again.  Hmmm, I became friends with a young man in Spokane, WA in the chatrooms about 22 years ago. We still speak daily on FB but have never met in person.  One place that I intend to work seasonally is Historic Washington State Park in southwest Arkansas (I live in Arkansas). I worked full time there for 8 years, LOVED it, and want to work seasonally after I retire to be able to do what I want to do instead of what I HAVE to do. I was a supervisor then, I just wanna be one of the guys for awhile in the same park. Love the park, love the people. It's HARD to be the boss with a group of people that you also consider to be friends.

Sounds like a pretty good plan... I've driven through Arkansas for about a minute while traveling from or to somewhere, but I can't remember staying over night. I suppose because I don't know what we can do there... I'm going to have to look up Washington State Park, might be something for next road trip.

This has lot of potential, with another interior will look great.

Latest posts