My nephew's home blew away

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggy

Reaction score
My nephew in North Dakota has been interested in my way of living and tried living in a van for awhile. He thought it was a little too primitive so he bought a pickup with a camper on it. The first real trip he took it on was yesterday. The camper wasn't attached well enough and blew off on the freeway. Totally destroyed! Now he's living in his pickup while considering his options.

Ouch. :( Hope everyone was okay. And.. I bet next time he makes sure the thing is attached GOOD. :)

Hope no one else on the freeway was injured from it. Dangerous situation.

wow I hope no one was hurt that would be scary to be behind that. highdesertranger

wow. Hope no one got hurt, did the police get him for anything? This is why I overdo bolting and bracing and overbuild things.

GypsySilver said:
Oh that is bad luck.

Bad luck had nothing to do with what happened.
Bad luck is hooking it up and binding it down properly like it should have been done in the first place...and then it STILL comes off the truck. THAT'S Bad LUCK!!!

He tried to cut corners, and now has to pay the price. Simple.

It IS too bad, but this is how we learn. (...or at least, how I seem to learn!!) :s

Nobody got hurt and he didn't get any tickets. He's kinda bummed because he was going to go on a road trip to Texas and stay the winter. Now he is getting a small apartment and is going to work thru the winter in North Dakota, in order to save up money again. He'll be alright. Maybe he'll reconsider living in a van instead.

Luck - faeries - Santa they are real. Don't tell me different. . You buy stuff and it's buyer beware. It seems always.

I hoped he learned. it's the people who don't learn that are the scary ones. highdesertranger

He's a pretty bright guy. I doubt he'll repeat that mistake ever again. I should've been dead a few times for risky things I've done. I go on to new mistakes, not the same ones. Except when it pertains to women. There, I'm a slow learner. :)

Sometimes we all have a hard time learning from our mistakes. Good thing I found myself a good woman.

@ Iggy~I should've been dead a few times for risky things I've done.

Thank GOD I don't get what I deserve!!

I am sending good wishes to your nephew. Were he near me I would do what I can to help him recover.. Sometimes our misfortune is caused by our own disintelligence, and some times our dissonance is due to true statistical error.

Folks often don't look deep enough to discern the divide.

I have no judgement re; your nephew.

Peace to you all in this difficult time.

~Alla

My elderly Mom was shocked by some things I told her I did in my mis-spent youth (some shoulda killed me!) and I likewise was shocked to learn of a few things she did when young! :)
A good buddy finally sold his long-unused Toy Hauler TT, and now is going to check out a slide-in camper for his Big Truck (Ford E350 4X4). He had one years ago in another truck, and needs something to travel the hunting woods. That THTT was just too danged BIG!
I've cautioned him about securing it, but he's "been there, done that".

Whoa, glad he's safe.

And a good warning about that kind of setup.

Latest posts