My intro and a few questions on safety and security

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've driven Pickups for years, work related......

And I've had a number of convertibles.

These two units while worlds apart in use have very similar security concerns........ THERE IS NOT ANY SECURITY!!!!

Everything you have is there to view, and take if one were so inclined to do so.

Now I'm not stupid and leave wallets or computers in plain site, but I've had 1,000's of dollars of tools and supplies in the back of my truck.

Never has anything been taken.

I leave the convertibles unlocked, I'd much rather they take my $300 radio without slicing open my $3,000 top in order to get it!

In my experience theft is a minor concern, the vast majority of people are honest good souls.

I say this living in the greater NYC urban area too!

Dave

Djkeev, I agree that most people are good but this man suffed injuries that doctors perdict he has possibly only a year to live. if someone could have warned or made him aware of this trend I'm sure he may have made different choices that evening. He lived in a home with his wife so it had nothing to do with this lifestyle but he was driving a vehicle when it occured which is why I felt a need to share.

there was a thread on here that talked about police in some states confiscating large amounts of cash when found in a vehicle and the responsibility was on the owner to prove that it did not come from elicit activity there was also talk about having secret hidaways in your van and that being a legal problem??? I don't remember the thread title. I don't quite understand why you would need a lot of cash in this day and age of plastic and electronic payments. Motels, tow trucks, repair shops all take plastic or there is usually cash machines close by????What kind of documents do you plan to carry, I would leave your Will and deeds in a safety deposit box or in with a friend or family member, your passport is small enough to fit in a cubby hole somewhere in your vehicle that no one would find easily. there are all kinds of cubby holes in vehicles big enough for that kind of thing. Even a couple thousand dollars can fit just about anywhere. There are also all kinds of threads on here about guns, pepper or mace sprays, if you are worried about physical safety. you could get a dog or a big hairy boyfriend, or you could leave a large chain with a large water bowl and a pair of size 14 work boots by your door. You could get one of those riffle association stickers, maybe a trump hat on the dashboard. anything to make you look scary or crazy.

My alarm is an Autopage - has a remote with display alerting me to motion, doors opening, windows breaking, and I can trigger the alarm myself from afar.  Range is about 1500 ft if I remember right.  Good for Walmart; not so great for a woodsy hike.

I have a brake lock that goes up under the brake pedal and around the steering wheel, even though they say any good thief can just cut the steering wheel.

Going to install a kill switch that, unless I flip the hidden switch, prevents fuel from flowing.

Curtains across front and back, tinted windows on side.  When I'm not there, no one knows if someone's inside or not.

When I am in there, personal safety stuff as mentioned in other posts -- always in the same place and like Beth said, park facing out and keep a path to the driver's seat.  I also (try to) keep a tidy ship so any sudden departure won't add chaos to the stress.

Urban areas, shopping, or where I'm just not sure...I look around to see who's hanging out, especially parking lots.  They're jungles, I swear.  I park by RV's and campers and if I see life, I give a wave.  I keep looking around even down to getting the key in the lock.  I figure it's just fine if people see me being observant.  First thing I do when I get in is push down the lock.  Then I leave. I'll find a hang out place where I feel comfortable.

I don't keep much cash on board. But years ago, I used to ferry $ to and from the bank, so I get your concern.  All I can say is eyes on rear view, detour around, get it deposited soon as you can. A safe box installed somewhere unwieldy like behind the wall of the sink cubby... pain in the keester to get to, but that could be a good thing.

I keep in touch with friends/family.

I find out where area police stations are.  Haven't needed to come to a screeching halt in front of one yet, but it could come in handy.  Been known to call them to see if they know where I can park overnight.  I've found people seem to like to be helpful.

For the few minutes these precautions take, they help me feel safe and comfortable.

Sassy

These are always interesting threads.

I appreciate that well-meaning folks talk about what they think will keep them from harm's way. Thirty years of working the streets as a cop taught me some interesting lessons.

The fact is that crimes are random acts committed by not-too-bright people who are sometimes under the influence of substances, and by not-too-bright people who aren't under the influence, but want desperately to be. For your personal safety, situational awareness is the best tool you can possess. Don't look like a victim, or like you could be an easy victim. I am always prepared to be challenged on the street. I will tell you that in thirty years and hundreds of thousands of miles of trailer travel and now van travel, I have never once been challenged. That said, I seldom carry more than $20 cash.

For property crimes, "target hardening" is the key. Every lock can be defeated if someone is clever or determined enough and has time and tools. Usually, the easiest way to get into a vehicle is to break a window and unlock the door. A crook can be into your car, search your car, steal your stuff, and be out before anyone can finish a call to 9-1-1. Alarms are a waste of money. Parking in a lighted area and parking in a busy area both may deter someone... but they may not. It depends on who the crook is that's looking you over. The best you can do is to use the locks you've got, and figure out a way to store your goods to make your vehicle look less inviting than the one parked next to you, and hope for the best. If a crook can't see anything worth taking, they likely will pass on your vehicle; especially if yours is older and rattier looking than the one next to it. That said, if you leave your vehicle unlocked, then all bets are off regardless of what it looks like. You may come "home" to find some drunk sleeping in YOUR bed. MOST auto thefts (except for exotic cars that are shipped overseas and Chevy pickups that are stolen to take to Mexico) occur because the owner left the car unlocked and the keys in the car. Hotwiring is a thing of the past.

Common sense measures will keep you and your possessions safe 99.9% of the time... and if you're a victim at that 0.1%, you've just got bad luck.

Best wishes!

hepcat said:
These are always interesting threads.  

I appreciate that well-meaning folks talk about what they think will keep them from harm's way.  Thirty years of working the streets as a cop taught me some interesting lessons.

The fact is that crimes are random acts committed by not-too-bright people who are sometimes under the influence of substances, and by not-too-bright people who aren't under the influence, but want desperately to be.   For your personal safety, situational awareness is the best tool you can possess.  Don't look like a victim, or like you could be an easy victim.    I am always prepared to be challenged on the street.  I will tell you that in thirty years and hundreds of thousands of miles of trailer travel and now van travel, I have never once been challenged.  That said, I seldom carry more than $20 cash.

For property crimes, "target hardening" is the key.  Every lock can be defeated if someone is clever or determined enough and has time and tools.  Usually, the easiest way to get into a vehicle is to break a window and unlock the door.  A crook can be into your car, search your car, steal your stuff, and be out before anyone can finish a call to 9-1-1.  Alarms are a waste of money.   Parking in a lighted area and parking in a busy area both may deter someone... but they may not.  It depends on who the crook is that's looking you over.   The best you can do is to use the locks you've got, and figure out a way to store your goods to make your vehicle look less inviting than the one parked next to you, and hope for the best.  If a crook can't see anything worth taking, they likely will pass on your vehicle; especially if yours is older and rattier looking than the one next to it.  That said, if you leave your vehicle unlocked, then all bets are off regardless of what it looks like.  You may come "home" to find some drunk sleeping in YOUR bed.  MOST auto thefts (except for exotic cars that are shipped overseas and Chevy pickups that are stolen to take to Mexico) occur because the owner left the car unlocked and the keys in the car.  Hotwiring is a thing of the past.

Common sense measures will keep you and your possessions safe 99.9% of the time... and if you're a victim at that 0.1%, you've just got bad luck.

Best wishes!
Sage advice to be sure....

CityWoman said:
I'm really surprised about the responses thus far - it seems no one bothers.
Or perhaps most people here, many of which may well fit your idea of "paupers", haven't found this problem to be, in their real lives, worthy of any expensive or complex solutions.

This community seems to me (perhaps intentionally) oriented around simplicity, frugality and to some extent rejection of mainstream overconsumption.

I bet a gun-oriented or prepper-type forum would yield a lot of responders with creative ideas for small stealthy safes.

Myself personally I find it hard to imagine the need for more cash on hand than I usually spend in say 3-5 days. And effectively hiding even a few grand's worth of twenties in a vehicle doesn't even seem a challenge.

Where (in America anyway) do you imagine it is difficult to convert plastic to cash money? We're pretty close to the point in our society where if the gummint eliminated cash only criminals, tax evaders, black marketeers and privacy fanatics would be greatly inconvenienced.

And your average pauper of course.

Note that your desire to make your setup aesthetically pleasing would actually be the main factor causing you to be a target in high-risk areas, and also works against the concept of stealth.

IMO even the most heavily armored rolling fortress, if it looks upscale and shiny, is less secure than a vehicle that looks unlikely to contain anything of value.

Finally FWIW, in my long experience travelling and living in places populated by paupers, the world is in reality a much less dangerous place than most people who regularly consume "news" and other mass media imagine.

I'm new here, but have been part-timing it out of my vehicle for a couple of years while camping and traveling. I also do solo thru-hikes, so I can attest to spending large amounts of time by myself.

Regarding safety - Through over 40 trips, the only time I felt unsafe, was when I was in Yosemte, and had some roudy drunk neighbors at the campground. They left some of their food out all night (strictly against the rules), and a bear wandered into camp. The ever-alert rangers chased him away, but I just happend to be going to the restroom, and the bear almost knocked me over, (came within inches). Other than that, I have never feared for my safety, unless maybe I was in a city. I've actually experienced the opposite. Lots of nice genteleman who tell me they will watch out for me.

Regarding the vehicle - what everyone has said here is good advice. Keep things out of sight, don't keep everything in one place, etc. I've never really worried about my vehicle, per se, but I am careful to not leave things out where people can see anything valuable.

Best of luck!

Thank you, Sassy.  Good stuff.  A lot of common sense and also some things I had not thought of.  Plus it's nice to be acknowledged for the need to carry cash.

sassypickins said:
My alarm is an Autopage - has a remote with display alerting me to motion, doors opening, windows breaking, and I can trigger the alarm myself from afar.  Range is about 1500 ft if I remember right.  Good for Walmart; not so great for a woodsy hike.

I have a brake lock that goes up under the brake pedal and around the steering wheel, even though they say any good thief can just cut the steering wheel.

Going to install a kill switch that, unless I flip the hidden switch, prevents fuel from flowing.

Curtains across front and back, tinted windows on side.  When I'm not there, no one knows if someone's inside or not.

When I am in there, personal safety stuff as mentioned in other posts -- always in the same place and like Beth said, park facing out and keep a path to the driver's seat.  I also (try to) keep a tidy ship so any sudden departure won't add chaos to the stress.

Urban areas, shopping, or where I'm just not sure...I look around to see who's hanging out, especially parking lots.  They're jungles, I swear.  I park by RV's and campers and if I see life, I give a wave.  I keep looking around even down to getting the key in the lock.  I figure it's just fine if people see me being observant.  First thing I do when I get in is push down the lock.  Then I leave. I'll find a hang out place where I feel comfortable.

I don't keep much cash on board. But years ago, I used to ferry $ to and from the bank, so I get your concern.  All I can say is eyes on rear view, detour around, get it deposited soon as you can. A safe box installed somewhere unwieldy like behind the wall of the sink cubby... pain in the keester to get to, but that could be a good thing.

I keep in touch with friends/family.

I find out where area police stations are.  Haven't needed to come to a screeching halt in front of one yet, but it could come in handy.  Been known to call them to see if they know where I can park overnight.  I've found people seem to like to be helpful.

For the few minutes these precautions take, they help me feel safe and comfortable.

Sassy

Rather than a kill switch that interrupts the fuel, I installed a hidden switch that interrupts the "start" position on my ignition switch. Just find the control wire going from your ignition switch to your starter solenoid and put a switch in that line. Anyone trying to start the vehicle won't be able to get it going, thinking the battery is dead.

When I take my vehicle in for service I have a sign I hang near the switch letting the mechanic know to pull the switch before turning the ignition to start position.

I used a momentary spring loaded SPST switch which always returns to the "off" position so I don't have to worry abt forgetting to reset it

Just my opinion . . .

John61CT said:
Or perhaps most people here, many of which may well fit your idea of "paupers", haven't found this problem to be, in their real lives, worthy of any expensive or complex solutions.

Well, good for them.  And I'm sure "most" people here are glad you're speaking for them.  However, the purpose of the thread was for people to share what they do for safety and security regarding money, etc., so if you don't think it matters, then you're not my target audience in asking my questions.  Scolding me for thinking it matters accomplishes absolutely nothing.  And I never called anyone a pauper; I merely said that I didn't want to live like one. Whatever kind of shelter I live in, I would want to enjoy it and be comfortable in it.

John61CT said:
This community seems to me (perhaps intentionally) oriented around simplicity, frugality and to some extent rejection of mainstream overconsumption.

Intentional simplicity and rejecting the mainstream is very much related to avoiding banks and credit cards.

John61CT said:
Myself personally I find it hard to imagine the need for more cash on hand than I usually spend in say 3-5 days. And effectively hiding even a few grand's worth of twenties in a vehicle doesn't even seem a challenge.

Oka-a-aaaay. 

John61CT said:
Where (in America anyway) do you imagine it is difficult to convert plastic to cash money?

Where did I say I thought it was difficult?  I never said I thought using plastic or getting cash from an ATM would be difficult.  I only expressed a need to carry cash and wanted to know how people store the important papers they need when their home is a vehicle.

John61CT said:
Note that your desire to make your setup aesthetically pleasing would actually be the main factor causing you to be a target in high-risk areas, and also works against the concept of stealth.

IMO even the most heavily armored rolling fortress, if it looks upscale and shiny, is less secure than a vehicle that looks unlikely to contain anything of value.

Note that I'm not an idiot.  I was talking about the interior, to make it cozy and attractive for myself when I'm relaxing inside.  Who said anything about making the outside look "upscale and shiny?"  Not me.  I'm an intelligent person talking about being stealthy.  If I'm worrying about hiding money, does it make sense that I would make the exterior look upscale at the same time?
:rolleyes:

John61CT said:
Finally FWIW, in my long experience travelling and living in places populated by paupers, the world is in reality a much less dangerous place than most people who regularly consume "news" and other mass media imagine.

I wouldn't know about "consuming" the news since I rarely ever watch or read it.  I don't even have a TV.  But I'm a woman.  Far too many times I've had to deal with people who believe I'm not my own person and don't have the right to walk down a street without a hassle.  Women learn at an early age to always be on guard for their own safety.  I need to be aware of how to protect myself in an unfamiliar situation, and van dwelling would be unfamiliar at first.  Hence, my asking the questions I did.  As a guy, you wouldn't understand that perspective.  I wish you well.

speedhighway46 said:
Rather than a kill switch that interrupts the fuel, I installed a hidden switch that interrupts the "start" position on my ignition switch. Just find the control wire going from your ignition switch to your starter solenoid and put a switch in that line. Anyone trying to start the vehicle won't be able to get it going, thinking the battery is dead.

When I take my vehicle in for service I have a sign I hang near the switch letting the mechanic know to pull the switch before turning the ignition to start position.

I used a momentary spring loaded SPST switch which always returns to the "off" position so I don't have to worry abt forgetting to reset it

So clever!  More good information!  Thank you!

tonyandkaren said:
I can't give you any advice on securing your van or the contents but I can tell you about our experiences. We love going to cities to  visit museums and other cultural attractions. When we do we usually stay in big box store parking lots which are sometimes located in the "bad" sections of town. We've never had anything stolen or harmed in over 20 years of fulltime living.  It could be just a fluke or it could be because our home is a RV and in the mind of a thief we could be inside at anytime. You would get the same type of security with a class B. A class B is also more stealthy than a larger motorhome.  I  think you should rent or borrow a van, load it up with simple camping equipment and take some short trips before you make any decisions.

Our blog (link below) will give you an idea of our traveling style.

Great idea about renting a van first!  Thanks!

Latest posts