My buying problem

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cammalu

Reaction score
I'm never going to get out of here if I don't quit buying STUFF! I know I'm stuck for a bit with family health issues and my broken leg healing but I'd sure be better off if I could just walk by stuff without buying.

Yesterday I couldn't seem to walk by the Halloween section without buying a howling wolf skeleton and a regular skeleton....

Well, I don't have a dog and the skeleton wolf at least won't cost much to feed...

Really, its usually buying for family members all the time. They don't expect me to do that or anything it just seems natural to take care of everyone.

I gotta get over it... I still have a Visa bill I'm working on but the house and car are paid for. There isn't a reason in the world financially I can't get my stuff together...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I meant to put this in the girls room and don't know how I ended up sticking it in here... Oh well....

Us guys spend too much money as well. I keep buying tools. I am retired now and already have more of them than I need. I have already been shopping for what the first Social Security check will help buy in December, (looking at Class C and trailers). According to Tony Robbins, I have to make a decision that saving is more pleasurable than spending. Human nature seeks comfort and pleasure. If saving is distasteful it won't happen, so my attitude has to change first.

I do like to look around the tools at Home Depot also. I haven't bought any in a while thank goodness but I sure get the addiction. I will certainly need something a bit larger than a regular van or I won't have room for my sewing machine, embroidery machine and fabric stash. I've already decided I just won't be without at least on hobby.

I know that Bob uses a quote but I couldn't find it right now but googled and came across this website: http://healthythoughts.in/2014/05/1.../motivational-quote-on-change-by-arthur-burt/ The thought that I was looking for, close to what Bob uses is by Arthur Burt: "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change." Once I crossed that point, it became easier to to pass up that which might weight me down and to also realize that it in no way at this point was I being selfish in putting my effort toward having my turn, finally. I am now down to one final cut which I hope to accomplish in the next 6 weeks.

If anyone knows exactly the quote Bob uses, I'd appreciate someone adding it. The first time I read it, I felt heartbroken. Reality can be harsh.

Anais Nin — 'And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.'

DannyB brings up a very good point about saving. In my early 20's me and one of my best friends started a friendly competition of who could save more money in 12 months. Six months in it started becoming a habit to save and you inherently started to figure out cheaper ways to accomplish the same tasks....like eating so that the savings account could grow faster. It turned into an 8 year savings spree and I was able to buy a house with cash at the end of it, before turning 30.

I'm more in a buying mode now but have a few expensive items i'd like to get and plan on starting another savings spree to get them rather than take from my savings.

Saving money can no doubt fill that same exact void buying stuff does. I think it works the same area of the brain.

I live in a van, if I buy something it has to have a place before I buy it... I can't get another coffee mug unless I get rid of one I already have.
It's often hard not to buy shiney things that get my attention (I've had tv since I was a little kid <shrug>) but this does help.

I've seen that from the full time RVr's, one thing in means one thing out. Space and weight are both considerations even for the big buses with basement storage.

So for me it will be easy to ask myself if I need it and where will it go. I know the space I will have will be filled with practical things that I will actually need or have to hang onto.

STOP and ask yourself: Do I really need this? ....... as opposed to 'want'.

Lately I've learned to ask myself "will I want this full time in a van? Will it fit in a van? What would I have to get rid of to make this fit in a van?" And "will this be yet another thing that I have to get rid of before I move into the van?" It's working well to deter the urge to buy.