My adventure begins

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamjam1

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm new to van dwelling and I start my adventure on new years eve. Over the last several months I have dedicated just about every spare minute I have to research, testing and building my dweller van.
16h6ng5.jpg

She holds 10 gallons of water, has 12v water purification, 110V power (850AH 12v battery with 1000 watt inverter), solar battery charger, a futon bed, a propane hot water heater, and a mini.. ok more like MICRO fridge. I built the interior to be as simple as possible and removable for when I upgrade in the not-so-far future to a high top camper van.
123tcti.jpg

My 'dweller van next to my Quigley 4x4 Dodge van.
24ys9df.jpg

I'm sure Ill be rambling alot on this site about how it all goes.

Hello Steamjam1,

How exciting! you must be counting the days if not the hours. Welcome to the group.

ENJOY the adventures.

Nicole

I left my house early and I've been in my van for a week now. After a few days settling in, I find it amazing how little I really need to live. Oh BTW I just noticed that I made an error in my first post. I have a 80ah battery, not a 850ah.

Hi Steamjam, Welcome from n. Florida. I have a question, why didn't you set up the Quigley van for dwellin'? I wasn't aware they 4x4ed any Dodge vans, I wish it were mine. Congrats on being out in your van! Duane

Best of luck. Hope to hear more of your adventures...

signman said:
Hi Steamjam, Welcome from n. Florida. I have a question, why didn't you set up the Quigley van for dwellin'? I wasn't aware they 4x4ed any Dodge vans, I wish it were mine. Congrats on being out in your van! Duane

I decided to shelve the 4x4 Dodge for a while because it needs alot of work and I had a deadline to meet. It was simply easier and cheaper just to get another van and start there.

Stay tuned! The Quiggy will make its debut here in a few months.

I Understand deadlines. That is going to be a fun project, not bad to practice on the 2x, so you know just how you want the Quigley. BTW, does it have dana 60's or ? Coil or leaf in front ? I'll stay tuned. Duane

Hiya SteamJam, and WELCOME from Oregon!

where in this big land are your from?? Are you gonna be traveling, or staying put in one place??

I like your dwelling's simple layout! NICE!

btw...can you elaborate on your name a bit?? (I may have a connection, but just wanna see how correct I am!) :D

signman said:
I Understand deadlines. That is going to be a fun project, not bad to practice on the 2x, so you know just how you want the Quigley. BTW, does it have dana 60's or ? Coil or leaf in front ? I'll stay tuned. Duane

The Quiggy features a Chrysler Corp 9.25 rear axle which is pretty standard for a 3/4 ton from the late 80's. Up front is a driver drop Dana 44 with a really unique 4-link suspension system that makes the van surprisingly well mannered on the road. It does have coil springs in the front which also use a Ford style coil bucket and shock system. The prev. owner already swapped out the 3speed for a 4speed auto, and ditched the original NP203 Xcase for a BW1356. (which is getting ditched for an NP205)

Lots of postings about rust repair is in store for everyone... :(

Patrick46 said:
Hiya SteamJam, and WELCOME from Oregon!

where in this big land are your from?? Are you gonna be traveling, or staying put in one place??

I like your dwelling's simple layout! NICE!

btw...can you elaborate on your name a bit?? (I may have a connection, but just wanna see how correct I am!) :D

Well hello there Neighbor! I'm just a bowling lane down the row from you in Northern California! Indeed I will be traveling up,down, and even sideways to all the funky, out of the way places I can find.

A steamjam is a steam powered brake that was used way way back on steam locomotives on lumber railroads out here on the left coast of the USA and Canadia.

steamjam1 said:
Well hello there Neighbor! I'm just a bowling lane down the row from you in Northern California!

A steamjam is a steam powered brake that was used way way back on steam locomotives on lumber railroads out here on the left coast of the USA and Canadia.

Hey...I'm over on the Southern Oregon coastline. Hey there!!

if you like steam powered machinery, then you'll probably enjoy this...

http://www.antiquepowerland.com/html/steam-up.html

It's really incredible the ammount of things that show up for this every summer!!

Patrick46 said:
Hey...I'm over on the Southern Oregon coastline. Hey there!!

if you like steam powered machinery, then you'll probably enjoy this...

http://www.antiquepowerland.com/html/steam-up.html

It's really incredible the ammount of things that show up for this every summer!!

I don't just like steam powered machinery, its my profession! I got to go check it out this summer!

steamjam1 said:
I don't just like steam powered machinery, its my profession! I got to go check it out this summer!

Then all the more reason for you to attend. You can camp out right there on the grounds, (in your VAN!!) and I'd plan on spending the entire 3 day weekend there if I were you.

Powerland is INCREDIBLE!!! I usually go every year to their antique truck show (late August). There are 2 antique truck museums, an antique car/motorcycle museum, one for heavy equipment, one for railroad stuff, one for fire apparatus, an antique gas station, a building full of running steam engines, 2 running steam trains, a steam powered 'operational' sawmill, and a working blacksmith shop.

During the 'Steam-Up', the grounds are COVERED with collectors showing their steam-powered contraptions. Everything from tiny table-top size steam engines, to enormous Hit & Miss engines. Demonstrations are on-going through-out the weekend, and steam tractors are always parading their way around the grounds. (and if you're lucky enough to catch it, they even fire up their old steam powered railroad crane from time to time.)
oh, and the smells of burning wood & coal is everywhere!!

Are you convinced yet??? (Yeah...I thought so!!) :D

btw...I think U-Tube has several videos on it too.

Latest posts