My 2003 Honda Odyssey

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragster2000

Reaction score
Help! I don't know when to stop. I'm planning on attending the RTR in January. My problem is I keep coming up with ways to change my layout which was supposed to be a first time experiment. I wasn't originally going to sink that much money into a 2003 vehicle. I just wanted to sample the life style. Now, I just seem to be spending money like mad. Any advise?

Do you have
a bed?
a place to store food? (Not necessarily a fridge freezer combo, but dry storage at the least)
a place to store water?
a plan for toileting or a toilet setup? (Can just have a plan to pee in a jug and solid waste gets downloaded in public toilets)
a sleeping bag that will keep you warm when it's freezing outside? (or at least one that's rated to the temps you need in the place you are going to be travelling to)
accommodations for any specific-to-you health concerns/needs you may have?
a plan for keeping your body clean? (This can be an anytime fitness membership, truckstop showers, a shower in your rig, or a plan to use a basin of water and a spray bottle. Whatever works for you)
a heater of some type, to keep your rig warm enough to be liveable during the day?
a stove to cook on? Single burner is fine to start.

If you're answer to the above is yes, stop there. That's the basics, and if you still have the goal of just trying it out to see how you like it, every $ you spend beyond the basics is an unnecessary expenditure that could've went toward your gas tank or been saved for your rainy day/repair cushion/big build fund.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

There is a very simple mantra to say when making decisions that helps keep from overspending.

Do I really need it or do I just want to have it?

Or the more handy short version...
need or want?

If it is truly needed then it belongs

If you just want it because it is fun or might come in handy, or looks cool then pass on it for now.
You can always revisit that decision at a later time by putting it on a "wish list".

I would add to Angie's great summary of needs:
Lighting
Utensils (cook, eat with and can opener)

Wow! Thank you Angie and the others that replied. This was a bit of a wake up call. I'm glad I took the time to post. I think what happens is i try to catch up with those i see in other videos. However, the other people I see have been doing it longer or more often than I.
Thanks again for the "snap out of it"!

Best to start minimal, only "build" the less necessary stuff after you've been doing it.

Keep in the front of your mind, once you're actually out there you will **really need** that money!

Figure a dollar a mile, and make sure you set it aside for each trip / week / month before actually laying down the miles.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?pid=353330#pid353330

Seems I try to pack like I was joining a wagon train for a nine month trip to California.
Have to remind myself there is a Walmart every few miles in this country. I plan on sleeping at many of them as I travel xcountry. Certain I can run inside for any food, clothes, tools, bedding, pots and pans, toothbrush I might need.

yeah, a lot of people can't tell the difference between a need and a want. highdesertranger

Starting as simple as possible, you will find out as you go along, what you really need AND what you really want. Nothing wrong with coming to an understanding of what actually makes you feel comfortable.

For me, it's a comfy place to sleep, which can be either a bed or a hammock. And sufficient pillows of the proper kind.

Next, a plan for toileting. Again, I'm flexible, as long as I have a plan that works for the situation.

Food is always good. If I have a fridge, I use it. Otherwise, I'm OK with non-perishable eats, plus whatever fresh stuff I can keep cool for a day or two till it gets eaten.

Shade is important to me, so I have various tarps and even a Clam shelter, because shade is really important to me. And I carry a couple of chairs and a roll-up aluminum table, and a patio mat that keeps the dust down in my camp.

Then there is the question of storage for all of the above, plus tools, clothes, etc., and of course water.

As you can see, your kit will come together quite naturally, according to your needs. I bet you could walk out the door with only your keys, wallet, and any prescription stuff you may need, and within 3 days you would know exactly what-all you need to fit out your mobile living space.

The Dire Wolfess

Latest posts