MWCD (Ohio) parks open

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got an email from the MWCD (Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District) inviting folks to their annual Earth Day Cleanup Challenge (Pick up litter and win FREE camping!) , which is  happening now through Sunday, May 3

The MWCD is a large chain of parks that stretch along the length of the -- you guessed it -- Muskingum River in eastern Ohio. They are mostly remote and wooded and are arguably the prettiest parks in the state.

If I read this right, they are planning on having the parks open for all activities, including camping, with the usual requirements of safety and distancing.

Sorry I can't post a link, but their address for more info is mwcd.org . 

Good news! 
Johnny

Update:

I got a new email today from MWCD clarifying the earlier one that I shared above. This one says that they're open as of today for "seasonal" campers and dockers only; that is, folks who rent a dock or RV space for the whole season, which runs May through October.

(It's a thing that lots of families in that part of the world do in the summer -- Grandma and Papaw and the babies stay out in the campground all summer and Mama and Daddy come out on weekends. Everyone puts up strings of little lights on their campers so folks can just wander around after dark in the glow of the lights and the fireflies -- not a bad way to live, IMO.)

Anyway, they're not ready for daily and weekly camping and boating yet and the restrooms and showers and concessions aren't open yet, but they hope to have all that up and running ASAP, hopefully by Memorial Day.

Johnny

wow MWCD is a mouthful. thank you for taking the time to define it and thanks for the info. highdesertranger

Update:

I just got an email from MWCD that said they are pleased to announce that they had gotten the go-ahead from Governor DeWine and that regular camping will resume on May 21! They are taking reservations starting today for overnight and weekend camping for the rest of the summer.

Their campsites are all in rural, wooded locations and are level, with water and electricity, pretty much like the state parks.

Johnny

little pricey for me. $31 for primitive to $65 for FHU waterfront campsite. But to each his own. I stick to the state parks with my golden buckeye card-50%  off Sun-Thur and 10% Fri-Sat. They have done a lot of work on the mwcd CGs. After paying an extra $6 per year tax assessment (along with every other property owner in the mcwd watershed) for several years, they received, if I remember correctly a little under $40 million bucks for a signing bonus plus a 20% royalty fee on a gas lease for over 6000 acres of conservancy district land, they 'generously' lowered the assessment to $3 per year. I was hoping they would lower the camping fees, but I believed they increased them. But the lakes are quite scenic (especially Piedmont and Clendenning). We boat on them frequently. Just haven't camped there for several years as the CGs were nothing to brag about and I thought they were overpriced. But maybe with all the work that has been done it might be worth it to someone, just not to me.  Gary