Murphy Bed Design & Installation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cargovanconversion

Reaction score
I'm back to designing and implementing a Murphy bed into my cargo van and I have figured out most of the construction details.

Two issues are still bothering me:
  1. The twin-bed is positioned parallel to the wall and I designed two removable legs to hold it up when in use. How would you make these legs permanently attached to the bed, but still be out of view when not in use.
  2. What kind of locks or locking mechanism would you use?

From here on I will start implementing the bed design, by first working on the wall, adding a window 'border', followed by the outer bed frame and the bed frame itself. Then the upper and lower cabinets.

You can find more design pictures here.

Van WilliamsS
[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

I'm back to thinking a Murphy bed might do what I want, without having to spend $1k for the Happyjac lift system. Here's a link to a Youtube tour I was studying the other day...at 9:25 in he demonstrates the bed, and It appears to me that the sofa arm rests form the platform supports. Which leaves me with two ideas:

1) A sofa might be a good choice in front of a murphy bed because most anything else you want to put there runs into a host of conflicting issues,

2) regardless, it wouldn't be hard to plan build around two permanent "ledges" that sere as support when bed is down. I don't believe that the platform requires support all the way to edge, such as legs would do.

Check out this video on a kit from Rockler (kit is $300ish) ...it has a nice design for support that flops in to hold mattress in place when closing:

BradKW said:
Check out this video on a kit from Rockler (kit is $300ish) ...it has a nice design for support that flops in to hold mattress in place when closing:

I've seen many of these. They seem to work quite nicely.

I have two problems it. First, my bed is somewhat elevated from the floor to allow for kayak storage underneath, which may make it unusable. Second, in the case of Rockwell such a set comes close to $400, which I find pricey.

Van Williams

StarEcho said:
Here's another take on it.

[img=800x600]http://imageprocessor.websimages.com/fit/1920x1920/www.beddeskplans.com/P1142201.JPG[/img]

http://www.beddeskplans.com/

The desk actually rotates in place so that the bottom of the desk is on the floor and supports the bed.  You don't move anything from the desk, so it's much more convenient.

Saw a version of this on tiny house nation too.  S1, E5 -  A search on youtube for hidden bed desk will show up a bunch.

I have seen this option too in various applications. It's not feasible for me either, as I have planned a collapsible desk/picture frame instead.
But good ideas from everybody!

Van Williams

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

VJG1977 said:
Google the term "folding table legs" many options that can be shortened.  

On Amazon, 24" Locking\Folding Leg

I've been unsuccessful so-far to find anything that stores out-of-sight with a Murphy bed. I'm finicky with these things; it has to fit perfectly or else...

Van Williams

I did see a guy build a set of legs that stayed attached but folded basically flat. it does require a small amount of welding. Basically there is a piece of angle iron bolted to each end of the bed, with a piece of flat steel welded between across the length of the bed. when folded up the legs fold flat against the bed. When down the legs are angled away from the wall at slightly more than 90 degrees with the flat piece acting as a stop to keep the whole thing solid. I'll do a search on TTNT and see if I can find it to link a picture.

Ok, let's see if I can copy a picture from one forum to another.

http://pvangel.smugmug.com/Other/Mini-toy-haluer/i-tCpHnBV/0/L/IMG-20130310-00510-L.jpg

http://pvangel.smugmug.com/Other/Mini-toy-haluer/i-Tb8bMxG/0/L/IMG-20130310-00511-L.jpg

http://pvangel.smugmug.com/Other/Mini-toy-haluer/i-mHLmDSF/0/L/IMG-20130310-00512-L.jpg

Built a little different then I remembered, or maybe I'm remembering 2 different trailers. :huh:
Hopefully this helps. It looks like the pictures will just show up as links, but you should be able to click on them and see them.

masterplumber said:
I did see a guy build a set of legs that stayed attached but folded basically flat. it does require a small amount of welding. Basically there is a piece of angle iron bolted to each end of the bed, with a piece of flat steel welded between across the length of the bed. when folded up the legs fold flat against the bed. When down the legs are angled away from the wall at slightly more than 90 degrees with the flat piece acting as a stop to keep the whole thing solid. I'll do a search on TTNT and see if I can find it to link a picture.

Thank you for your efforts to find those pics. The problem I have, is that when the bed is not in use, the legs should be out-of-sight. Either, somehow folded inside or transformed into another feature. It's going to be a modern and 'very clean' interior.

Van Williams

Well that would be more difficult. I can only think of two ways to do that. One is to make removable legs that slip into pockets. But then you have to find a place to store them when the bed is up. That's basically what I did on my trailer, except I used pipe flanges and nipples. My beds are rarely ever raised so looks underneath weren't a concern. The second way is to make a solid front panel that folds flush when the bed is up. It would limit storage under the bed, but if all that's under there is a kayak that can be removed through the back doors it may not be an issue. The panel if placed properly could even become your fold up desk when the bed is in the up position.

masterplumber said:
Well that would be more difficult. I can only think of two ways to do that. One is to make removable legs that slip into pockets. But then you have to find a place to store them when the bed is up. That's basically what I did on my trailer, except I used pipe flanges and nipples. My beds are rarely ever raised so looks underneath weren't a concern. The second way is to make a solid front panel that folds flush when the bed is up. It would limit storage under the bed, but if all that's under there is a kayak that can be removed through the back doors it may not be an issue. The panel if placed properly could even become your fold up desk when the bed is in the up position.

Unless I find a better solution, I already choose your first option. Removable legs that slide into a side pocket in the bed with dovetail sides that lock like a French cleat. Simple and efficient, but extra storage.
Although I have considered most suggestions in this thread, I appreciate the efforts that are being made to come up with something different.

Van Williams

I built a murphy style bed in a 96 Chevy G10 van. I agree with your blog about floor space being critical during the day. I didn't put leg on mine as it folds down and rests on a bench located directly across from it. I don't have pics of it with the bed down and my mattress in there yet. I can fit a queen size mattress on my bed platform. I've also got a lot of storage up top and below the bed and bench.

Good luck with your build and post pics.

Attachments

• small - From Front.JPG
    small - From Front.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 19
  • small - bed down.JPG
    small - bed down.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 27
Chrisbx7 said:
I built a murphy style bed in a 96 Chevy G10 van. I agree with your blog about floor space being critical during the day. I didn't put leg on mine as it folds down and rests on a bench located directly across from it. I don't have pics of it with the bed down and my mattress in there yet. I can fit a queen size mattress on my bed platform. I've also got a lot of storage up top and below the bed and bench.

Good luck with your build and post pics.

I think, that I've your pics before, but always had the impression that the bed flipped up from the passenger side. This is a much better solution. Looks good. I sometimes wonder, how many different variations are possible in such a small space.

Van Williams

They have one in the Winnebago Travato G model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk