MSM and Arthritis Does it help?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyntonstu

Reaction score
I noticed that MSM was on an expense spreadsheet posted on the forum.

Do you have experience using MSM to relieve arthritis symptoms?

I have used a product that has MSM in it for pretty bad joint pain and inflammation. Could not make a clenched fist with my left hand or cross my right leg due to knee pain. Took two bottles of naproxen that never helped but that stuff did in a couple of weeks. Sulfurzyme is the name. My Sis talked me into trying it finally.
Also took care of a retired barrel racing horse that I gave her MSM every day for arthritis. The lady that owned her said without it she could not walk across the pen. I saw that myself when we ran out and feed store was out for a few days.

Mileage always varies......

I stopped taking a few supplements a month ago, including MSM. I'm definitely feeling it. I have RA. I'll be back on it the minute some money hits the bank.

I take MSM with glucosamine and chondroitin

I've recently started taking Turmeric each day and it's helped tremendously. I am no longer dosing at least once a day with Ibuprofen for osteoarthritis.

I take it along with Milk Thistle which helps the absorption of the Turmeric.

Last winter a friend put together a concoction for me that he had been using that contained a lot of turmeric and black pepper along with a whole whack of various nuts and seeds. He mixes it with yogurt and berries each day but I found that I wasn't consistently adding it to my diet each day. It just wouldn't find it's place in my daily regimen so I was missing it more days than not.

Tossing back the  capsules once each day is much easier for me.

I have been working on the race tracks for more than 20 years. Thoroughbred horses.

I can tell you this.. The best product? DMSO

It has been in the public domain for more than70 years. Hence, no patent.
Of course, with no patent, no pharma ever did clinical trials.

So with that said...also, let me mention... DMSO has been in world wide use for all of those 70 years with no documented case of adverse effects.

When I first encountered the use of DMSO the grooms were pouring it over the back haunches of sore horses. I saw sore horses able to run 30 minutes after use. The grooms told me that people reported that the arthritis in their hands diminished and even went away.

I have used DMSO on my hands and feet and other joints when painful for these 20 odd years. I once thought I was starting with arthritis... but I do not have arthritis. It reduces inflammation quickly and thus reduces pain in joins and soft tissue.

There are some basic issues with use. Because it passes quickly thru the skin barrier... it has the ability to carry whatever is on your skin thru that barrier with it....wash and rinse your skin before use. Most people have a garlic like taste in their mouth from it. It is therefore impossible to hide its use (making clinical trials impossible anyway).

I was told that MSM is just a digestible form of DMSO. But..lots pricier.

Finally...it is cheap. I pay about $6 for a 10 oz jar. They also sell it by the gallon for cheaper yet. Get it at any tack shop

Dimethyl sulfoxide is a great cure for inflammation of all sorts. Used it for years. I too had a horse trainer source. LOL. It is a controlled substance in Canada so be careful at border points. I thought the FDA blacklisted it so you probably need a horse source to get it. I don't know. Safe and cheap to produce clean so it is like Fish Antibiotics Same for them same for us. I can't read Russian well enough to know if what I am buying here is the right antibiotic, You can buy over the counter and I was going to do that and saw a fish store. Went in and sure enough English spelling on European produced antibiotics for aquarium creatures. Read they were the same as human concoctions so four bucks later I was stocked. Worked like a charm!

One very important thing is it takes things into the bloodstream, will dissolve cheap Nitrile gloves. And take that into you. Morphine, LSD, and a few other drugs have been added by not so nice people in the past to dose someone without them being aware. Little sponge under the car door trick, used by some intelligence agencies. You never notice you got dosed and then while you're driving "purple Haze time."

A great use for pain and sprains. Just be really careful what is on your skin or hands before application.

Ultrasonic cleaners are awesome too. Gout pain in the big toe? Place it in an ultrasonic cleaning bath for ten minutes and gone. Destroys the little crystals too so it doesn't come back. Had an outbreak here, too much beer, and our medic found a gun store. They have big ones for cleaning weapons. Horrible pain gone in ten minutes, cured no further issues and it has been three months. No beer since.

I'm sorry, but what is a "tack shop?"

My wife has RA and would love to try this DMSO.

sometimesido said:
I'm sorry, but what is a "tack shop?"

Your horse source for cowboy duds. 

If you live in the midwest just ask for a tack shop

IN LA you need to find an equestrian store  :D :D :D :p

Horse Walmart. They will have the stuff. Farm supply store as well. In BC if you come in looking like city folk they may not sell it to you. It is controlled. SO is Bag Balm used on cow udders to treat chaffing from machine milking. City girls learned it was the bomb in face creams and for pennies. Locals got pissed because there cows got sore teats and had nothing to treat it.

A tack shop it any place that sells products for a horse.

You can always find a tack shop at the stable gate to a race track

But..any place that sells stuff like saddles, bridles, horse blankets, etc.

Get it there really cheap

No..FDA has not banned it.

VanKitten said:
No..FDA has not banned it.

I never said the FDA banned it. I said they blacklisted it.

It has no potential to make money and competes directly with companies that make a great deal of money selling Arthritis treatment medication. 

I get the word has a British origin, but I thought it was a common enough term. Medication blacklisting comes from the United Kingdom's National Health Service. A medication not approved to be prescribed by an NHS physician. I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, a US physician will not prescribe DMSO. Hence, my usage of the term blacklisted. 

A banned medication, Larium for example, is prohibited from being used, sold, or administered, because the dangers outweigh the potential cure. 

Sorry for the confusion.

Fun with semantics Scott?  

Many doctors will tell you what works, and where to find it.  Others ~~~  are on the big parma gravy train.   The worst medical office  I went to had different drug reps cater lunch there every day.   They pushed pills like crazy.  "Informational" trips to the Bahamas, wkith exremely nice "door prizes"

One of my ex wives was a medical receptionest.   The stories she told me...  The US needs to cut the heads off of the drug, Insurance, power and banking cartells.

Not really semantics, just trying to be as accurate with English as I can. I forget growing up using British and French words makes them perhaps only common to me. Here the two words, in Russian, are commonly used and very different meanings.
Yeah America has its pill pushing.
Russian has it's quack cures.
Canada has its long lines.

Each a little different problem. Here (Russia) it is popular to infuse your blood with O3. Ozone infusion. Tesla first studied it. But despite his intellect, we now know it is quack science. Another common one here is blood filtering. 24 hours of mild sedation and they hook you up and take from one leg your blood, filter it and fill you back up in the other leg. The process is supposed to be very good. But I just go wait in line at home.

In Canada it is controlled substance and only for use on horses. Could jam up a person crossing the border. Glass thermos bottle as it is a solvent should be fine. Amen to the cartel destruction.

Just my two cents worth here.....I've found *** balm is far superior than anything else for my aching joints. Contrary to popular belief, it does not contain THC. I get mine from vapencbd.com Also, to those thinking of trying turmeric, just know that it cannot be used in conjunction with several medications. Please check before you try.

Boyntonstu said:
I noticed that MSM was on an expense spreadsheet posted on the forum.

Do you have experience using MSM to relieve arthritis symptoms?
This post dates back.

Yes, this DEC. will be 6 years I been on MSM. It took about 3 months for it stop my back pain. I take around 6000mg a day,
of Doctor's BEST brand. It's organic sulfur, also good for skin, bones,nails and good for your immune system. For it to stop pain, you have to take vitamin C with it.............

It might be a good idea to build up slow the amount you take.

I used to get temporary relief from arthritis from bee stings. Then when I went on a **** way of eating, it completely cured my arthritis. I went from taking ibuprofen like candy to none at all. I no longer need it. I can only say it worked for me. Everyone is different. I also reverse my type 2 diabetes with the same way of eating.