Mr. Buddy portable heater

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheli

Reaction score
I am so excited that I finally got one of these for what I think is a great price, $39.99.

I've had it on my wish list on Amazon and they're $79.99, a little pricey for me right now so I thought I'd grab one as I get closer to hitting the road.  Then when I found out Sports Authority was going out of business I went in a couple of weeks ago when everything was supposedly marked down 30-50%.  At that time they were priced at $69.99 and I was mad because they obviously marked things up to mark them down and if I didn't know what they go for I may have fell for that crap.  But I left without it.

So tonight I was up near it for another store and thought what the heck, I'll check again.  And there they were, marked down to $39.99.......so I grabbed one.

This was on my "must have" list for van dwelling, so it wasn't a needless buy.

If any of you have a Sports Authority near you and need one of these, get on over there.

MrBuddy.JPG

Attachments

• MrBuddy.JPG
    MrBuddy.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 20
I know it's silly, but it's my first official purchase for van dwelling. And I did NOT want to pay $80 for this thing. hahaha It's the little things that make me happy. :)

I bought one two days ago too Cheli. My first official purchase as well. I'm still not sure if I'll actually need it, but for $39.99 it was tough to pass up. I actually went there to buy cheap knee pads for Amazon this fall. Only $6 for them

That's what I was thinking Madpeep......not sure if I'll need it but for the price I couldn't pass it up. Although I've read a lot about it and a lot of others say even if I'm chasing the warm weather it can still get cool at night in certain areas. So I'd rather have it and not need it, it won't take up too much space. And if I find after a while that I would never use it then I'll donate it to someone who will.

I also saw a Castaway double hammock a couple weeks ago and looked for it again last night but they were gone. I was bummed because that would have been maybe $20 at this point.

One of the best investments ever for vandwelling, and at a great price!
I haven't been to an RTR since 2013 in Flagstaff, but hope to see you in January.
~Steve~ (a fellow Masshole)

I have one but always was advised to allow for replacement air via an open window and to have a real CO detector with an alarm.
Any truth to that or are these things really safe enough to use as is?

WTG on that....I thought I'd get paid today, but sadly it'll be Monday (Dang it!) so I may creep over there (One is quite clsoe) and look into shoes more than the heater....

I bought the big monster last year (Replacing the smaller one) which does 4K, 8K and 16K....I had planned to be in a bigger van at this time is why....Sheesh! :)

DreamTransit1 said:
I have one but always was advised to allow for replacement air via an open window and to have a real CO detector with an alarm.

I plan on have a CO detector in my van anyway but it does say it's completely safe for indoors and has "auto shut-off if tipped over, if pilot light goes out, or if detects low oxygen levels".  I've heard a lot of people talk about them so I had to get one.

Reno said:
One of the best investments ever for vandwelling, and at a great price!
I haven't been to an RTR since 2013 in Flagstaff, but hope to see you in January.
~Steve~ (a fellow Masshole)

I thought it would be a great investment too, and I love a bargain.  hahaha

Hope to see you in January.  Fellow Massole. hahaha

I got the Big Buddy last November and used it a LOT last winter here in Maine.(23' class C)
Much of the time was below 20* and a good amount around 0*...... I only used the 16K setting when starting out and mostly used 4K or 9K so the medium Buddy should have you good to go .
I did crack one of my roof vents but there was so much leakage through the fridge vent and around my rear door I probably didn't need to.
I also have a CO detector and the digital display never went above ZERO !

Yeah Wanderer. I already bought 4 pairs of shoes there at 70% off. So last trip was for knee pads, but I ended up getting the mrbuddy and socks too

DreamTransit1 said:

The instructions that come with the unit will specify how much ventilation (i.e. outside air) is needed for safe operation.  Never hurts to have CO and propane detectors.

I stopped using mine because of too much moisture.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
The instructions that come with the unit will specify how much ventilation (i.e. outside air) is needed for safe operation.  Never hurts to have CO and propane detectors.

I stopped using mine because of too much moisture.

-- Spiff

What do you use for heat in place of the Mr. Buddy?

Dennis said:
What do you use for heat in place of the Mr. Buddy?

Escape.

Being from Minnesota and a former mountaineer I can handle cold weather; although as I get older it seems my tolerance for cold is diminishing.  Used to be able to handle -20° wind chill, but not any more.  I have a sleeping bag rated to -40° and other cold weather gear that helps but I usually try to move to somewhere warmer or back to the S&B (I'm not a full timer).  I am seriously thinking about adding a RV furnace to my camper so I can stay comfortable in my old age.

-- Spiff

I hear you, Spiff. Something about the birthdays that add up and desire for comfortable temps seem to go together. :)