MPPT controller with PWM output?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphim

Reaction score
Can anyone explain what this phrase means? Considering a MPPT controller, but in the features it states PWM output. Doesn't sound encouraging to me..

Mppt, maximum power point tracking, is only used in bulk phase.

Bulk phase is the chargng stage before battery reaches absorption voltage.

Once Absorption voltage is reached, the amps required to hold that voltage decrease and Mppt is not needed or desirable as there is no need to seek even more power from the panel.

So the controller then Pulses the current extremely rapidly, just long enough to pass enough current, just to hold that absorption voltage.

Pulse Width Modulation.

The Marketers were hoping to impress you with 2 features for the price of one.

But it is likely they are completely ignorant of the product with which they were tasked to sell.

Thanks. Wanted to make sure they weren't essentially marketing a PWM controller as an MPPT

Well, they could be. Certainly some 20$ "mppt" controllers on Ebay, which are just PWM. It seems truth in advertising and marketing is to be avoided these days.

I think I trust Renogy though. It's not a cheap controller, nor is it one of the most expensive.

While there may be more power needed in absorbtion or float, an MPPT controller may still be providing more to your battery than a PWM controller could. This is more likly with high-voltage panels, but even on my system with 18v panels it happens almost every day for a few minutes.

Stern Wake, will you please just get busy and write us a manual on all this stuff. :D

Having it scattered throughout all your words of wisdom is going to cause my eyes to roll when I have to seriously start figuring out the electrical for the conversion!!

Please, pretty please!!....:angel::D