Mounting panels on a rack, how to get around bolts?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwave

Reaction score
I wish I had more help to offer over here, I'm always asking questions and I appreciate the help.

I am adding a second solar panel but the angle brackets I have to mount my panel(s) is mounted to a roof rack with four bolts. In order to get a second panel up there I need to mount over a set of bolts (2), there is no way around it.

The way I see it I have two options:

1. Grind two little sections out of the solar panel frame so the bolts fit in and the panel mounts flush. I worry that makes the solar panel frame more prone to tearing apart from highway driving. Maybe it's fine? If I go that route would it be better to bolt the panel down near those cuts or further away? I think near; 2-3 inches away, perhaps add a few extra bolts and get both sides of the cut if possible?

2. Use bolts as 'spacers'. This leaves about 1/4" or so gap between the panel frame and the brackets. This seems like such a bad idea due to heavy winds while driving and less surface area. I don't think I want to do that.

Does #1 sound like an ok idea or will I regret it later? Any other ideas? Thank you.

I think I know what you are saying but a few pictures of what you have and where the new angle brackets need to go would really help, please.

I am not sure I follow. what bolts are in the way? would a different profile bolt head work? a button head has a very low profile. an elevator bolt has a very, very low profile. a counter sunk bolt is flush with the surface. or just use the same bolt to mount both panels. highdesertranger

Sounds like you don't have any extra space on the roof rack to separate the panels, to gap the angle bracket to rack bolts.
Is there no extra space on the roof to space the rack cross bars a few inches apart? Or not possible at all with your roof rack?

highdesertranger said:
I am not sure I follow.  what bolts are in the way?  would a different profile bolt head work?  a button head has a very low profile.  an elevator bolt has a very,  very low profile.  a counter sunk bolt is flush with the surface.  or just use the same bolt to mount both panels.  highdesertranger

My set up is a work van rack/ladder rack style; adrian steel. I mounted angle brackets from the rear to middle rack rails so I could mount the solar panel(s). I mounted that using hex bolts. I did not even think about trying different style bolts, I will see what I can find! Thank you.

edit: to clarify, the bolts holding the angle rails on to the rack rails are what's in my way.

Just add some solid aluminum or hardwood spacer blocks that have divot holes in the backside for those bolt heads. Then thru bolt through all the layers to secure the new panel.

Can you spin the angle brackets around so that the bolt heads are outside the area where the panel needs to be mounted?

In other words, face the brackets or angle stock the other way, so that, as the panel drops to the rack surface, it is not contacting the bolt heads, because they are on the other side of the vertical part of the bracket.

If I have this pictured correctly in my mind...that is...