Most wouldn't think a van could be both a home and a work truck, but then...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
For those who have followed along with my story I have been busy as of late. I have a regular construction job in which I've been working 50-60 hours/week. After that I work my own side gigs 10-20 hours/week. After that, I modify the van.

To what end? Well, work, of course.

I started with envisioning various ladder racks. They began with the idea of welding hitch points to the van body. I gave up on this concept when I realized welding to the body would set the van interior on fire. Undeterred, I slid comfortably into a less sophisticated solution: Sheet metal screws. I bought steel flat stock. Put an abrasive disc on my cordless circular saw. Spent an evening in a Lowe's parking lot cutting the flat stock into steel plates. Lowe's kicked me out. Never been told off by an 18 year-old girl in a red vest before, but there's a first time for everything.

To each plate I welded a 1/2" nut in the center. Couldn't get weldable steel nuts, so I used zinc nuts and ground the plating off. After welding I drilled eight holes in each plate. Then filed burrs, cleaned with mineral spirits, primed, painted, clear coated, and created rubber gaskets of the same size. Each of these plates and gaskets I screwed to the van body using stainless steel sheet metal screws, at predetermined points. Sealant under each screw/hole.

U2OnUxw.jpg

At this point I had a set of hitch points laid out in a grid.

rrldzXy.jpg

Cut, drilled and primed some lumber to match my hitch points.... these are my cross-members...

zxmQfG2.jpg

Cross-members going on....

IGU7XN3.jpg

Passenger side now carries a 6' step ladder and adjustable 22' Little Giant ladder.

TQhVGwX.jpg

Driver's side is a little more substantial. On top of the cross-members are vertical uprights, upon which are attached lengths of flush-mounted angle iron. The angle iron makes this rack modular in that I can move hooks/blocks around for my needs. It is designed to carry sheet goods on the face (plywood, drywall) and on the backside, between the fiberglass top and the vertical uprights, I made a space for an extension ladder. Extension ladders are only 5.5" thick so this was an easy solution. I can slide a 40' ladder in there no problem.

p9cB7ND.jpg

Okay, maybe my van is starting to look a little crazy. But I'm okay with that.

cZkOKkX.jpg

I also remodeled the floor. In the back of my van is this area which has been built up to allow space for the table leg receivers etc. The only usable storage they made is a little carpeted section you see my hose in here. Barely big enough for that. It's about 5" of dead space.

tQ6nFuc.jpg

With the floor up, see all the dead space underneath.

2J5BL27.jpg

I tore out all of the plywood rips that old floor had been blocked up with an re-framed it with some rips of 2x material running lengthwise.

C1sWw0X.jpg

This means that from the back doors I now have two bays each 6' deep that I can use to store lumber cut-offs, etc. I also bought a pair of sawhorses that fit comfortably into this space. Trimmed the floor back out after this picture too of course.

KcyiVa7.jpg

Very interesting design. Keep up the good work!

Wow, ingenuity and problem solving at its best. Nice work. Working all those hours must be making your bank account very happy!

Nice, you can never have to many ladders. I currently carry 5 on my truck and another 2 in one of my trailers.

Yep I do have hobbit feet.

My craziness is way classier than that guy's. :D At least my 2x material is painted.

I have up to a 28' ladder but could carry a 40'. I actually need something smaller now, like a step stool.

I carry a 3-step stool between the passenger seat and door. Fits well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk