Monthly rates?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRRNeiklot

Reaction score
I'm going to hit the road soon and I'm looking for cheap extended stay campgrounds.  Does anyone know of any campgrounds with monthly rates under $250?  The state doesn't matter, but federal campgrounds are a plus, due to my Access pass. 

Thanks.

I don't know of any, and often with lower monthly rates, electricity is charged separately. I know that the Corp of Engineer Parks doesn't allow more than 2 weeks at a time (with our pass here, and 1/2 price, it is $10 a night for electric/water sites), although in non-busy times, they say that one can try to extend. Mobile homes parks that accept RVs are often a less expensive option.

Are you looking for full hookups or just a place to camp?

The cheapest way is to "boondock" on National Forest land (not National Parks) or Bureau of Land Management land. There are no hookups for this. You generally have to move 25 miles every 14 days though. When you move it is time to dump and fill tanks and groceries anyway. I only stay in campgrounds one night when it's moving time. Dump and fill tanks, do laundry and let's not forget those long hot showers.

There are some campgrounds in the Elephant Butte/Truth or Consequence area of NM that have very reasonable rates.
Here are a couple of examples:
http://enchantedviewrvpark.com/rates.htm It's $165/mo. for a FHU site + electric.
http://www.caballolakervpark.net/ It's $150/mo +elec. for FHU with free wifi and it's on a lake with good fishing. The catch? It's a 55 yr old and up park.

Chip

Thank you for the info on a park with cheap rates and good fishing.

Just what I need after working for 49-years and counting.

THANKS

Bob Wells talks about Coyote Howls Campground in Why, AZ in this video.  $42 per month and $500 per year, to start.

When looking for "cheap" keep in mind what they charge for electricity, even propane in the area and also look at services you might need (shopping, medical, etc) as you might be driving quite a distance and/or paying a lot more for gas and other necessities than you are used to. (learned that pretty quick moving around the country)