Monstaliner paint job

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van-Tramp

Reaction score
The project has started... a "monsta" of a paint job coming

14956017_1326817620691327_3000998109952469635_n.jpg

Step one has been spread out over the past few days.

1. Remove all externals (bumpers, grill, awning, ladder, spare, solar, etc)
  2. Remove all brand badges
  3. Fill all holes and dings from the above list, including branding logo mounting holes
  4. Sand
  5. Sand
  6. Sand some more
  7. Buy a new sander, more sanding.
This has all take 4 days so far, but I have not worked more than 4 hours a day on it. I have another few days of sanding before I give it a good washing, then start taping everything else up that should not be painted. The paint (8 gallons of Monstaliner truck bed liner) does not arrive until late next week, so next weekend is when the big transition takes place.

wow that's quite a commitment. once you do that there is no going back. I love it, keep the pics coming. highdesertranger

An interesting concept, just curious why such an extreme? Should be very distinctive (may have answered my own question) and good for those trails and avoiding 'pinstripes'.

Gunny said:
An interesting concept, just curious why such an extreme?

Painting your car with bed liner is nothing new. People have been doing it for a while, and it looks great IMO. Two years ago I got to meet Glen, of ToSimplify.net. He has his VW van painted in bed liner so we talked about it and I got the scoop on what it would take for Big Blue to go that route.

I figured, for me, bed liner would be perfect. Looks great, super rugged, and impossible to scratch. Who cares how narrow that dirt road is, I can just let the trees scrape my sides without any reason to worry. The bed liner stands up to the elements and actually adds a nominal bit of insulation and sound deadening. It is also going to 100% seal up the exterior of the van... no worries of leaks until I start drilling holes again.

Lastly, it is significantly cheaper then to go the auto-paint route, because I can do it myself. Since the paint has texture in it, the surface underneath does not need to be perfect. The texture will hide it all once two coats are applied.

Decided to go with the desert sand color, like this...

89796d1369774792-monstaliner-write-up-2013-05-25_14-10-01_139.jpg

Shows to go ya you can learn something everyday. Looks good. And makes perfect sense.

Yup yup
I guess it better look good for what it costs !

I thought you'd passed the van on to your son.

Just curious, roughly how much is 8 gallons of Monstaliner? I just painted my topper to match my new truck. Well, a friend sprayed it in his barn, but I did all the prep work. It took a quart of epoxy primer and 2 quarts of 1 step auto paint, along with the associated hardners etc... I spent about $350 just on paint.

IMG_20161113_154534410.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161113_154534410.jpg
    IMG_20161113_154534410.jpg
    201 KB
That's an awesome idea! I've been considering paint after I finish the interior and this would really be the best for the places I go. Thanks!

Thanks for the link Mr Noodly, I have a CJ7 I'm thinking of going this route with.

Yea I bought 8 gallons to ensure I can do the entire van at a cost of just over $1100. I can return any unopened gallons which I suspect I may have one or two.

They advertise that a gallon is good for a 60 sq feet (two coats). I worked out that my van is - ballpark - 100 square foot per side, 120 for the topper, 60 for the rear and front. That is 380 square feet - ballpark - which comes out to 6.3 gallons required for my van. Since they will take the return, I made sure to have some extra just in case my math is a bit off.

Plus all other supplies (sander, bondo, paper, tape, etc) I should be well under $1500 for the entire job. I suspect in the $1300, give or take a $20, once I add up all the receipts.

You wouldn't have got anywhere near that paint job at a bodyshop for that coin !!!!!

rvpopeye said:
You wouldn't have got anywhere near that paint job at a bodyshop for that coin !!!!!

Nope, I was being quoted anywhere between $4000 and $8000 for a professional paint job, and most places said they couldn't do it anyway because it would not fit in their paint-bay.

Cheap automotive paint like Omni might have been a cheaper DIY job, but a few more specialized tools needed like a Harbor Freight HVLP gun, plus it's nowhere near as cool! Can't wait to see the finished product!