mom's daily car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CautionToTheWind

Reaction score
Hey guys, Looking for ideas to help my mother's daily driver (91 Cadillac DeVille front wheel drive) rear ride height. Not by much...

First off, today, all four struts were replaced along with separate rear coil springs (all Moog parts). The old rear springs were shot because the rear end would bottom out on bumps (strut air bladders were shot too). When the old springs are compared to the new, they appear sprung (taller) than the new ones. The coil springs were cross-referenced with other suppliers and appear to be correct for the car.

I am looking for a simple, hopefully, reasonable cost solution to raise the rear end about 2 inches. The whole reason to go through all the work and money was to raise the rear end. Today's work did help lift however not to extend I wish for (a front to back level). Car rides good and no longer bottoms out. Cadillac is just not level, rear end sags just a bit. Original rear struts had the air bladders (air ride struts w/ compressor). Replaced rear suspension with a passive strut, no air.

Coil spring Spacers?
Coil spring Tall isolators?

Ideas, please. Thank you!

Sounds like you got springs designed to work with the air leveling system. Ya might research of the model had a non air level option. If so, those are the springs you need.

Vern

Those spacers have a pretty large diameter and are more for full-size coils + they add just 1". The rear struts probably have coils smaller in diameter, so not sure if you could get these to work.

Yeah, they don't say front or rear, do they. I'd have to call/confirm/order something else. Thanks.

An inch minimum is the target, 1½ would be perfect. I've done so much research for the final "rear conversion," I should let go of an inch difference. lol The front end went up a bit than previous too. Hindsight 20/20, I should have replaced the rears only. Although wanted new all the way around; just made sense.

Mom's car is a "looker;" many guys have wanted to buy it. Factory phaeton top (simulated convertible top) which is quite rare. Medium gray Metallic color (whole car). I'm kind of partial to the car because I bought it for her.