Mobile Library Audio and Ebooks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanch

Reaction score
A friend told me about this and I finally tried it. I went to a library and got a library card, it wasn’t as easy as it should be, but I did manage to get one. Here is a hint, get it while you still have a physical address.

Then you get the LIBBY app. It is a library app that allows you to “borrow” audio books for up to 14 days. Most libraries allow you to use Libby. You can also check out ebooks and you can put a hold on any book that isn’t available and you will be notified when it is available.

This is the perfect NOMAD library. It is all digital and can be done on a phone. I enjoy audiobooks and ebooks. I have listened to my first audiobook and it was just as good as if I had bought it, no difference, other than the fact that using the app makes it all free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using 'Overdrive' for my e-reader and now Kindle for  years!

I love being able to borrow books from the library from anywhere in the world that I can get cell service or wifi.

Overdrive allows me to put books on a 'wish list' and/or reserve books that are not immediately available. Depending on settings, the library automatically 'loans' you the book when it becomes available or you can simply be emailed that the book is waiting for you. I can set the borrowing period for either 7 or 14 days as well.

The only problem I am about to run in to is that the library where my legal residence is has a 5 book limit instead of the 10 that I am used to. As an avid reader I  will be pushing the limit on the number of books constantly. My solution, going to have to get the kid to get a library card as well so I can flip back and forth between 2 library cards. Overdrive currently doesn't let me 'return' a book when I'm finished reading it, I have to wait for the loan period to expire!...small problem for sure!

Amazingly enough, you can get library cards, valid for e-books and audio book, from universities and other libraries across the country. Many big libraries not only don't care whether you live locally or not, but charge very low yearly rates.

And they're often better with availability than local libraries, which may (like mine) have long waiting lists for books and only carry one or maybe two copies. Some of the big-city/university libraries might have 20 or 30 copies at a time.