Mobile Handyman Service (rolling workshop ... have tools will travel)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.he I.nvisible M.an

Reaction score
For those of you interested in this fine profession.

Check out this link ... as the information is spot on.

http://www.angieslist.com/articles/how-much-does-it-cost-hire-handyman.htm

Plus I did a copy paste below.

I would be happy to answer any questions ... :)

T.I.M.

CREDIT: repost from Angie's List
]

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO HIRE A HANDYMAN?

hiring%20a%20handyman.JPG

A handyman may charge you by the hour or by the job, but get a written quote.
Handymen are a great resource for homeowners, whether it's for tackling a small, technical job or starting on a major project. But good help comes with a price.
Handyman prices explained
It's first important to understand how handymen charge for their time. There are two common methods: by the hour or by the job.
If the work is straightforward and will take no more than a day or two, you'll typically be charged by the hour, plus a fee for mileage. Things like hanging a new door or repairing a leaky toilet fall in this category.
Be aware that professional services — for example, a plumbing expert — will cost more than handyman services with broad skill sets.
RELATED: Hire a Handyman to Complete your Honey-Do List
Angie’s List members who had similar handyman jobs done in 2014 reported paying an average of $83 per hour with a general range of $50 to $100, not including discounts many service providers offer to Angie’s List members. Costhelper.com gives a similar range of $60 to $125 per hour.
Larger jobs will often be quoted in total, with contractors and homeowners negotiating when payment will occur; many handymen prefer to be paid by milestone. For example, they might charge half of a total basement renovation price when the framing and drywall stages are completed, and the other half once the job is finished. To estimate the cost of a larger project, homeowners should research the basic price of preferred materials and fixtures, then double it. This is a good baseline for what a handyman will charge.
Regardless of which method your handyman uses, make sure to get a written quote detailing costs, payment expectations and timelines. In addition, get any guarantees about work or warranty in writing. Plumbing repairs, for example, should include guarantees about leaks over a specific length of time. Reputable handymen should stand behind their work and won't have a problem correcting mistakes at no cost to homeowners, but a written agreement is always preferable to a verbal contract.
MORE: Angie's List Guide to Hiring a Handyman
Keep handyman costs down
There are several ways homeowners can help lower the cost of a job. The first is preparation, which includes cleaning and prepping the area where a handyman will be working. Move out any furniture and sweep or vacuum before your contractor arrives.
If you're having multiple small tasks completed, prepare a list in advance instead of standing around discussing what needs to be done. Some jobs also offer specific ways to save money. If you're having new carpet installed, for example, you can choose to tear up and dispose of the old carpet, saving yourself several hundred dollars.
RELATED: Hire a Handyman for Odd Jobs Around the House
Another way to save on work is to buy your own materials. Be sure to do research first to ensure what you buy will work in your home. If you buy the wrong materials, however, it will cost more to correct the mistake.
Also, remember that experience plays a role in cost. If your neighbor down the street has done a few projects for other homeowners, he won't be as expensive as hiring a local handyman, but his work won't be of the same quality and it may take him longer to complete.

And now you know ... :)

The only suggestion I can offer is, if you intend to go this route, build the interior of your rig to the highest possible standards.  Then you can point to your rig as an example of your work.

Regards
John

If you are thinking of being a handyman, make sure you have the proper insurance and business license(s).....not sure how this would work for a 'mobile' workshop.
If you are hiring a handyman, make sure they are insured and licensed....if they suffer an injury on your property, guess who they sue.

And speaking of lawsuits....Angie's List is currently on the receiving end of a class action because they actually do have a system in place where contractors can improve their 'placement' in the rating pool via compensation paid to Angie's List.
Angie's List does not deny this and says it is spelled out in the 'fine print'. They are also accused of suppressing negative reviews of contractors who pay to stay at the top of the search lists.

IMHO....I'd avoid Angie. :(

That said, if you decide to work 'off-grid', then it's all about integrity, finding a niche, and you wouldn't be on the interweb. how you handle complaints would be paramount to continued business (and unbroken fingers). :rolleyes:
Accepting the barter system would be a good thing for 'off-grid' work as well. :)

I am offering the inside scoop on my business (what I do every day) ...

I am fairly sure I could help or at least guide someone to jump in safely as the water is fine.  :)

I am a professional builder by experience. I have built several thousand frames as a hands on framing carpenter over the years. My preference is new construction but since booms come and go I have leaned heavily into remodeling. In the 37 years I have been working I have learned all the other trades at this point, and I am able to perform at equal or better than most of those who do a single trade only. I currently qualify an Architectural Seal (in a state unmentioned) and I am working on part 4 of 7 as far as the ARE tests go. For the past five years I have been doing Handyman type work while selling jobs and putting together projects for my "crew". If it was small and I could make a few bucks I did the work on the spot. Now fast forward to today and I find myself "crewless", for the past 2 years, as I no longer wish to keep people busy in a harsh business environment. I have had up to 10 calls a day this past summer and there is no way to see that many people in a day much less do all the work.

So now as it turns out and especially since being "homeless" as some might call it since March of 2015. I rather like the idea that I have adapted nicely to my "mobile" situation. And made my "shop" my home.

I am an expert at getting work and have honed my skills to a fine resolution on this interesting corner of the remodeling market (The Handyman).

All being said I bring the "secret ingredients" to the table that define the differences in success or failure.

The key to success is very subtle and this "subtle difference" is something I study.

In the Handyman business EVERY structure is in a slow rate of decay.

EVERY homeowner or commercial building owner (if they aren't capable) must pay someone to roll back this decay on an ongoing basis.

Unlike other highly specialized businesses, where not everyone is a potential client, EVERY STRUCTURE needs repairs and maintenance. Even newly built structures need repairs and maintenance. EVERY LAST STRUCTURE YOU CAN SEE needs this type of service.

And so ...

Not every potential client is a client to be chased or to work for.

If a client EVER asks you for a reference ... then your presentation went off the track somewhere.

A client who asks for a business card at the end of your presentation is usually brushing you off.

Asking for references is a delay tactic.

Using a 3rd party objection is also a delay tactic.

Most people who are looking into or getting prices for something are going to purchase that something at some point.

You are looking for words such as "I want" "I need" "I would like to do" these are all strong buying signals.

You are also watching for people who are wasting your time. Instead of I want or I need to have X done. They might say something like "I need an estimate" those 4 words to me draw an instant red flag. "I am taking bids" (personally I don't really want to bid on anything. I want to go to work, then get paid).

If you give the potential client a firm price you might find yourself at the end of a long conga line.

NEVER give out a price unless you bargain or trade for a commitment.

Finer points of bringing in a project as mentioned below.

There are differences in an objection versus a condition.

All objections can be overcome absolutely by someone who knows what they are doing.

All conditions are like landmines waiting to blow up.

A pro knows the difference between the two and after finding a condition works to figure out what kind of condition they are looking at. Is the condition time based? As an example nobody will say "yes" if they don't have the money in hand unless you are providing financing. If time based you must figure out how the time is effecting a decision. Pushing to close on any condition will blow up. Pushing to close on objections can always be overcome.

This a small example of my expertise.

I sell 100 percent of my work with out giving out references, or a business card, or a visit to my "shop". My "close rate" is in the mid to high 90s which is fairly unheard of.

In any case IF someone here had a like mind and wanted to improve their financial situation ... (this type of work isn't for everyone)

I might be able to help.

And now you know ...

T.I.M.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
The only suggestion I can offer is, if you intend to go this route, build the interior of your rig to the highest possible standards.  Then you can point to your rig as an example of your work.

Regards
John

Been like that since the Spring of 2010 ...

3BFBPC09530073C.JPG
van_back.jpg

A Hungarian carpenter buddy of mine and myself built the 4 bays on each side, with shelves that tilt back 5 degrees, so that when items bounce, they bump to the outside wall versus falling out. On the top are two continuous shelves front to back with a lip facing the isle, one on the left and one on the right, for ladders, lumber, copper, storage etc. (or pretty much anything that can fit up there lol). There is a cleat hanging down on the underside of each shelf, on the outside wall, so that the removable shelves "lock" into place after installing them. The weight of the items above then hold the shelves securely until removed.

I had a hard time to convince him that I would ONLY build removable shelves as I still wanted the full "cargo" option. He refused initially so I started building them ... lol. After a while he could see it was going to work out just fine, but you needed precise measurements, as all the shelves are identical. He finally was able to see it my way and jumped in to help finish a great project.

I LOVE THOSE SHELVES ... lol

1005151647.jpg
Today I am uninstalling everything and going into the "cargo" mode to complete my downsize move.

Attachments

• 3BFBPC09530073C.JPG
    3BFBPC09530073C.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 11
  • van_back.jpg
    van_back.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 1005151647.jpg
    1005151647.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 17
johnny b said:
If you are thinking of being a handyman, make sure you have the proper insurance and business license(s).....not sure how this would work for a 'mobile' workshop.
If you are hiring a handyman, make sure they are insured and licensed....if they suffer an injury on your property, guess who they sue.

And speaking of lawsuits....Angie's List is currently on the receiving end of a class action because they actually do have a system in place where contractors can improve their 'placement' in the rating pool via compensation paid to Angie's List.
Angie's List does not deny this and says it is spelled out in the 'fine print'. They are also accused of suppressing negative reviews of contractors who pay to stay at the top of the search lists.

IMHO....I'd avoid Angie. :(

That said, if you decide to work 'off-grid', then it's all about integrity, finding a niche, and you wouldn't be on the interweb. how you handle complaints would be paramount to continued business (and unbroken fingers). :rolleyes:
Accepting the barter system would be a good thing for 'off-grid' work as well. :)

I have learned all about Angie's list and a few others such as yelp. The complaining party has all the advantages. Both companies will call you up and offer better "placement" if you join and pay the monthly membership fee.

Best Advertising is to be Vague about the name of the business ... "call John at xxx-xxx-xxx" and to not post any license numbers just to name a few strategies.

Over the years I have known several traveling handyman people. They made a good living, while traveling.

For many years, I was kind of the local handyman in whatever neighborhood I happened to be parking in. I never charged for my services, even though I was frequently offered good pay. For me it was about being an asset to the neighborhood so I would always be welcome to stay for as long as I liked. Worked out great too.

I think you have a viable plan and should go for it. Put some signs on your rig, and maybe local Craigslist ads, and you should be good to go. Since you will be charging for your services, be mindful of city/county/state licenses, regulations, and such, and obviously have insurance and maybe even get bonded.

For several years before me and Vic started working seasonal,(like 30 years)I had a Home Service business.Maybe I was lucky but I never encountered all the problems and frustrations T.I.M. did.I have never had a license other than a refrigerant license to buy refrigerant with.I did heating,refrigeration and a.c.,plumbing ,electrical,remodeling and storage building construction.The biggest problem I have saw with self-employed small business is that the people don't charge enough appropriate to their abilities.If you don't act professional and charge professional rates,your customers will think of you as only a "handyman".

Bob Dickerson said:
For several years before me and Vic started working seasonal,(like 30 years)I had a Home Service business.Maybe I was lucky but I never encountered all the problems and frustrations T.I.M. did.I have never had a license other than a refrigerant license to buy refrigerant with.I did heating,refrigeration and a.c.,plumbing ,electrical,remodeling and storage building construction.The biggest problem I have saw with self-employed small business is that the people don't charge enough appropriate to their abilities.If you don't act professional and charge professional rates,your customers will think of you as only a "handyman".

I have very little problems if I am doing the work. My clients feed me. Bring me hot and cold beverages. Offer Alcohol from time to time (I hate to admit but I am a teetotaler). The other day a client gave me what looked like a diet coke to go. I put the "diet coke" in my pantry thinking nothing of it. The next night I am thinking hmm I would like to drink that diet coke so I reach up and grab the drink and toss it in the cooler. When I get it out after about 3 to 5 minutes it's ice cold and just as I am about to pop the top I notice it's Budweiser in a small silver can lol. So I put it back on the shelf and later set it down near a trash can. Maybe a passer by would want it. :)  My clients usually pay cash as I give them a discount for such and I knock off minutes here and there as a good will gesture which always seems to make them happy. My referral rate is very high. Occasionally a client might mention about how much they paid but none are unhappy with the work. :)

Been there, done that, got the tools and scars to prove it.

Been there and still doing it. This is our 30th year but not on the road. I would need a trailer to go behind your van just to hold the gear. Our service goes even farther though, if it happens in a household, we do it. We clean, cook, fix, paint, buy and set up what ever our customers want, if I can't do it today, I will know how to tomorrow. I often work on things no one will/can fix and no isn't a option.

Our longest standing accounts run in the decades and we have never advertised. Rich people only refer their rich friends that can afford us, can't get better advertising than that.

That said, there are a lot of things I wont take with me when I hit the road and the company is one of them. 30 years is enough and I'll be looking for something new.

jimindenverBeen there and still doing it. This is our 30th year but not on the road. I would need a trailer to go behind your van just to hold the gear. Our service goes even farther though, if it happens in a household, we do it. We clean, cook, fix, paint, buy and set up what ever our customers want, if I can't do it today, I will know how to tomorrow. I often work on things no one will/can fix and no isn't a option.

Our longest standing accounts run in the decades and we have never advertised. Rich people only refer their rich friends that can afford us, can't get better advertising than that.

That said, there are a lot of things I wont take with me when I hit the road and the company is one of them. 30 years is enough and I'll be looking for something new.

What I carry in the Van is pretty much my personal set of tools. I have enough tools in storage to outfit 15 to 25 men (depending on the type of projects). I also have two other "normal" sized cng cargo vans I still need to sell. A 3 cylinder diesel compressor and 95lb Jack hammer (need to sell) with about 500 ft of 1" hose. The list goes on and on and on lol.

I think the main reason I started this post is that I see some of the forum members going for very low wages in the work camp / trade arrangements when if they were properly equipped they could probably double or triple their pay as it's not unusual for a highly skilled tradesmen to pull 100 to 200 an hour in some instances ... Just food for thought ... =)

I was planning to do the mobile mechanic/rv tech thing. I am still carrying a bunch of tools though I have pared down significantly. I mainly want to do generator/small engine repair, but will do any repair work people are willing to pay for. I also just bought a 6' long extendable squeegee since it has been suggested that money could be made cleaning class A rv windows.

RV repair I think I could handle. At least it would be something different.

Mobile handyman services include Home and commercial building repairs like windows door installation , painting repairs, basement repairs etc..They charge per hour for their work. Each handyman have their own price for work.

Acumen Drain said:
Mobile handyman services include Home and commercial building repairs like windows door installation , painting repairs, basement repairs etc..They charge per hour for their work. Each handyman have their own price for work.

You are correct Sir ...  ;)

I'm currently trying to put a plan together that would enable me to convert a Sprinter into a stealth camping mobile work van. Thinking I need to stay with the 144" WB, but the extra space from the stretched 178" WB sure is tempting.

I have a strong set of multi-trade skills, and fortunately have many skilled friends that can help bridge my weaknesses when it comes time to do a buildout. And I'm hoping that the experience of building a "slick" and tech savvy RV will give me some new skills that relate to RV maintenance that will be marketable as well.

This is a great website...so glad I found it  :)

ps- T.I.M. your post(s) remind me of an old acquaintance, Richard Kaller, founder CCN...always loved to end things with "food for thought"  :)

BradKW said:
I'm currently trying to put a plan together that would enable me to convert a Sprinter into a stealth camping mobile work van. Thinking I need to stay with the 144" WB, but the extra space from the stretched 178" WB sure is tempting.

I have a strong set of multi-trade skills, and fortunately have many skilled friends that can help bridge my weaknesses when it comes time to do a buildout. And I'm hoping that the experience of building a "slick" and tech savvy RV will give me some new skills that relate to RV maintenance that will be marketable as well.

This is a great website...so glad I found it  :)

ps- T.I.M. your post(s) remind me of an old acquaintance, Richard Kaller, founder CCN...always loved to end things with "food for thought"  :)

Hopefully I manage to live a bit longer than your friend ... :)

T.I.M