Mixing Batteries?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Guy

Reaction score
Hi All,<br /><br />I want to use AGM batteries in&nbsp;my van for "house" power. Do I also need to change out the starting battery to an AGM? I've read that mixing battery types is a no-no, but haven't found out if using the two types in different circuits can cause problems. I will be charging from the altenator through a voltage sensing relay if that's important. I'm guessing it is because when the engine is running both batteries will by hooked together.<br /><br />Thanks, Guy

It is a yes and no thing from the practical side to the enthusiast side of thinking... AGM batteries are completely different in make up than lead acid batteries but they are the same in that they are 12VDC and charge the same way... <br /><br />What you are only doing is charging the 2 batteries, you are not using the two batteries together as a whole, right...<br /><br />So I think you are OK, BTW when using 2 or more batteries as a whole it is best to have them match up in AH, type, and age...