Mini Van, Cargo Van or Conversion Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiseguy5513

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm new to the forum but have actually been thinking of van dwelling for about 2 years. Once my sublease is done in a month and a half, I've decided I'm going to make the jump into vandwelling full-time!

As I think about which van to get, I can't seem to come to a firm conclusion as to which type I should go for. So I'm hoping I can write a little bit about me and then maybe some of you can share your wisdom and advice?

I have a budget of $4000 (I could spend more, but I don't want to) and live in Central NJ. I also have a full time job, so I wouldn't be hanging out in my van all day. During the week, I'd only really hang out in my van after work. I'll probably do some reading, maybe watch something on netlfix, work a little on my laptop and then go to bed. On the weekends, I'm hoping to take shorter road trips to places where I could camp out and explore the east coast, visit friends, etc. Those short trips would really only be from Friday night to Sunday afternoon, and hopefully I'd be spending a lot of that time outside seeing new things (until winter comes, when I'll either have to toughen up or find new hobbies).

In terms of actual "stuff", I don't have much. Just some clothes, a few books, sleeping bag, mattress pad, laptop, and a bike. I know a place where I can get free storage also, if I feel I need to get rid of some things. And in terms of cooking, I'd be able to cook at work (we have an oven) after everyone leaves for the day (I close our office). Gas mileage is a concern, but it's not the end all. If I'm not paying rent, I'd be able to be just fine only getting 10mpg as opposed to 20 or 25. But I'd of course rather save as much as possible.

The way I see things, I like the gas mileage of the minivans, as well as the stealth that it could provide (since 5 nights a week I'll be in suburbs or parking lots). But I'm also intrigued by the comfort that cargo or conversion vans could offer. Yet since 5 days a week I'll mainly be using my van for sleeping, I don't know if that extra comfort is enough of a reason for me to get one. Oh, and I'm around 5'8", so I'd easily fit in any of the options.

With all that said, which one do you think is the best fit for me and what I'll be using it for? Should I go for the minivan with the better gas mileage and stealth? Or should I try to get a larger cargo or conversion van for the comfort, even if I won't be in the van most of the time? Any tips or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

You'll really appreciate the added a space a full sized van provides, and even more so with a high top. I'd suggest estimating the mileage you plan on putting on the van and see what the fuel savings/costs might be. My guess is that savings from the mini van won't be enough to outweigh the living space deficiencies of such a limited space.

I was wondering about the same issues a while back and what "turned the light on" for me was several people mentioning the fact that even though a full size van gets 16'ish mpg that's fully loaded. The mini-vans say they get 25mpg but that is when they're empty. Fully loaded they drop down to the 18-20 area . If the difference is only 3-6 mpg's then it's a simple decision : FULL SIZE CARGO VAN.
That's my story and I'm stickin' with it !!
Ken in Anaheim

P.S. I also like the fact that solar panels on a full-size van are less "available" for theft/vandalism then ones on a mini.

I had two van's recently;

Loaded and HWY miles...
1996 Ford Aerostar (sold last year) = 26+ mpg
and a 1989 Dodge B250 extended (still own) with topper = 13-14mpg

When towing (same little fiberglass trailer)...
Ford = 18-20 MPG
Dodge = 10-12 MPG

It will cost you about double in fuel to have a very large van. A little cheaper to go with a regular sized van (not extended or topper), but you will save tons (if you drive a lot) with a mini van. To put it into perspective, a 1000 mile drive in my large van costs about $300 in fuel, while costing less than $150 in the minivan. Remember, fuel is only going to be going up, so the savings will get larger and larger each year.

If you really do not see yourself driving a lot, the larger van will be worth it's extra-space in gold. I hated camping in the minivan, while I regularly turn down a bed in a house to continue to stay in my big van. I've been in the full sized van for 921 days and counting.

wiseguy5513 said:
Hey All,

I'm new to the forum but have actually been thinking of van dwelling for about 2 years. Once my sublease is done in a month and a half, I've decided I'm going to make the jump into vandwelling full-time!

As I think about which van to get, I can't seem to come to a firm conclusion as to which type I should go for. So I'm hoping I can write a little bit about me and then maybe some of you can share your wisdom and advice?

I have a budget of $4000 (I could spend more, but I don't want to) and live in Central NJ. I also have a full time job, so I wouldn't be hanging out in my van all day. During the week, I'd only really hang out in my van after work. I'll probably do some reading, maybe watch something on netlfix, work a little on my laptop and then go to bed. On the weekends, I'm hoping to take shorter road trips to places where I could camp out and explore the east coast, visit friends, etc. Those short trips would really only be from Friday night to Sunday afternoon, and hopefully I'd be spending a lot of that time outside seeing new things (until winter comes, when I'll either have to toughen up or find new hobbies).

In terms of actual "stuff", I don't have much. Just some clothes, a few books, sleeping bag, mattress pad, laptop, and a bike. I know a place where I can get free storage also, if I feel I need to get rid of some things. And in terms of cooking, I'd be able to cook at work (we have an oven) after everyone leaves for the day (I close our office). Gas mileage is a concern, but it's not the end all. If I'm not paying rent, I'd be able to be just fine only getting 10mpg as opposed to 20 or 25. But I'd of course rather save as much as possible.

The way I see things, I like the gas mileage of the minivans, as well as the stealth that it could provide (since 5 nights a week I'll be in suburbs or parking lots). But I'm also intrigued by the comfort that cargo or conversion vans could offer. Yet since 5 days a week I'll mainly be using my van for sleeping, I don't know if that extra comfort is enough of a reason for me to get one. Oh, and I'm around 5'8", so I'd easily fit in any of the options.

With all that said, which one do you think is the best fit for me and what I'll be using it for? Should I go for the minivan with the better gas mileage and stealth? Or should I try to get a larger cargo or conversion van for the comfort, even if I won't be in the van most of the time? Any tips or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Hey wiseguy!
I kind of did the same you did. Thought about it for a couple of years, then when the time came I when out and bought a Chevy Express 2500 regular size. I'm in the process of converting it and should be done with the main stuff soon.
I also work in Jersey. Then on weekends and sometimes during the week I go to PA.

I'm assuming from your post things aren't going to change for awhile, if that's true then I think there is one factor you're not considering--the cold in NJ. I've never lived there but I understand it can be pretty cold and if so you are going to want to add insulation. And as far as being easy to insulate, a cargo van beats the others by a large margin. Being able to see and access the ribs makes insulating so much better and easier!!

Since MPG isn't all that important to you, I think I'd get the cargo van and put in some good insulation.
Bob

wiseguy5513 said:
... I close our office ...
I'd think you'll be watching netflix at the office, why not? You want a full size cargo van. I lived in one for a few months in Washington DC in 2001. I couldn't stand up in mine, and I swore I'd get a high roof next time, which I've done ever since. In my 2002 sprinter van, extended length and high roof, I got 25 mpg, and in my new 2014 I get 28. The winter will be a challenge for you but it can be done. By the way, I'll sell my 2002 sprinter for $4,000. She only has 400,000 miles, and runs great.

Hi I have a step van and always thought that was the answer for the perfect van, I was always of the thought that you had to stand up to be comfortable, and it had to be a high top or a stepvan preferably with a toilet and shower, I still do but I have learnt a few things in the last six weeks, I bought a Dodge Caravan minivan with a pop top factory built camper, for a major road trip, It has swivel front seats I can stand in it when the top is up 83 inches, it is very stealth with it down with darkened windows, it has fridge, table, stove, sink, running water, 38 litre water tank, 8kg propane tank, it also has a 1200 btu thermostatically controlled propane heater, It is small but very cleverly designed, I am really rethinking my ideal van now that I have experienced the world of poptops, some of the advantages are the drivability of the minivans, stealth, ease of parking, and fuel mileage I am averaging between 25 and 28mpg fully loaded, with food, fuel and water, :)

You all are so very helpful! I'm glad that this forum exists for us to share ideas with each other. I'm most likely going to go with the larger sized van, based on how unanimous the response seemed to be in favor of the extra space/comfort. Hopefully I'll buy something in the next two weeks or so, and then have about a month to fix it up to move into.

And in terms of buying, the advice that Bob had in his book was to get as new as possible with as few miles as possible. Is that what you all have gone by? If anyone has any additional suggestions, I'm all ears :)

I think buying the best van you an get within your budget is important. Bob's advice is sound, but doesn't help someone with a small budget. My 1989 extended with topper van was picked up for $3400 and I have probably put another $1500-2000 into it (including 2 sets of new tires an all oil changes, etc). I have the tools and the knowledge to do most, if not all, my own work so buying old doesn't bother me. For others, it may end up costing more to buy an old vehicle and pay all the money to have mechanics fix it up, then to just buy a newer vehicle

Do I wish I had a newer van? Sure, as long as it is an extended and high-top still :)

wiseguy5513

I was thinking what Bob said, I have lived NJ and it gets really cold. But also hot and humid in the summer. I think Bob is right, it would be hard to insulate something that's already finished. I've thought of customs vans, they're tempting because they look so plush and some come with a sink and icebox. I think it would be harder to stealth park with a custom van. More windows to block out at night and attract more attention then a cargo van.

I like the idea someone came up with on a another thread. They have a cargo van and they stuck some numbers on the bumper. Makes it look like a work van. Heck, maybe you could even find a "how is my driving" sticker. That's the kind of vans that where all over NJ when I lived there.

Van Tramp, of corse is right, gas will only go up. Maybe you could use your bike to offset gas a little. I heard a report last week that U.S. oil production will peak at the end of this decade. Production (in the report) will shift back to the Middle East. Maybe try a full size van to get started, then in five or six years if you want to try a mini van, get one before oil production starts to decline in the U.S.

It's easy to see into the future, the vans I could afford in five or six years are new right now. But who knows what people will be driving.

Best of luck to you.

"In terms of actual "stuff", I don't have much. Just some clothes, a few books, sleeping bag, mattress pad, laptop, and a bike..."

Unless this is a small folding bike, this is the decision maker. +1 on the full size van for me. I can't imagine trying to inhabit a minivan with a full sized bike in it. Of course, you could mount it to a roof or bumper rack, but it might not be around long! Not to mention, bikes don't like being exposed to the weather constantly.

I am about where you are (in terms of planning The Move), and already have a cargo van. Trying to find a good place inside for the bike, out of the way, has proven to be an excruciating mental exercise for me. Luisafernandes has an interesting approach to this problem by incorporating a 'garage' area in the rear of his van. Although seemingly costly for space, it seems a sound idea; keep all your tools, bike, spares, and items that you don't need constant access to between the rear doors and a 'bedroom wall' of sorts. This would make getting the bike in-and-out almost a pleasure, and will keep your living area uncluttered with only your daily necessities. Check out his build thread:

"2014 Chevy Express 2500 Van Build: Luisafernandes"

Latest posts