Mini Rocket Stove

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Fisher

Reaction score
Anyone use one? I was looking at all kinds of camping stoves to use with my van. I have a small BBQ, but loading charcoal and lighter fluid is kind of a pain (and messy). I looked at other Coleman type stoves, but I would always have to have some gas bottles around to use it. These little rocket stoves look like what I am needing. It looks like you can cook with it just using small twigs and branches as fuel (no charcoal to carry with you). In addition you can also use alcohol for indoor cooking. Another big advantage I see is that it is very small and actually very inexpensive.

Here is the link to the one I will probably buy. Anyone use one or have any feedback they can offer?

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Porta...e=UTF8&qid=1494874937&sr=1-17&keywords=lixada

I've never used the rocket stove but bush camp with a Trangia alcohol stove.

I found them too tippy for my own sense of safety inside the van so I now use a one burner butane stove inside and the two burner propane outside. It also means that I can keep the lightweight Trangia pots strictly for use in the bush and use my regular kitchen pots in the kitchen in the van.

I use a small alcohol stove that I made for free from scrounged materials--two empty cans, a strip of muffler tape, and some cotton balls.There are instructions to make them all over the Internet.

Works just as well as anything you could buy.

When using wood, they will produce lots of soot on the bottom of your pots and pans. Not easy to regulate heat output. Simmering may be difficult. Not easy to turn off when done. There is usually a catch to free.

There's usually a catch to practically everything.

I suspect that most people here have at least a couple of types of stoves, suitable for current conditions, such as for use inside the van (open or closed), outside on a table, during a burn ban, etc. There could be a soda-can alcohol stove, a tin-can hobo stove, a tuna-can stove, a rocket stove (real one w/double walls & insulation), a small propane stove w/a one-lb bottle, a propane stove with hose and larger tank (often the same stove), a butane stove (shop around for fuel -- prices are all over the place). There are one-burner, two-burner, stoves with legs, etc.

When you're in a new place, and there even might be a burn ban, stop at a ranger post and ask. Rules are all over the place: no campfire, but you can burn charcoal in a certain type of unit. You can't burn charcoal, but you can use a rocket stove on bare ground. You can't have any kind of open flame unless there's a valve you can turn off instantly. Find out what the local rules are, because if you start a fire, you're responsible for it.

burn bans come in all flavors in extreme cases they just close the forest. highdesertranger

didn't some goofball just get heavy time for starting a fire?

DannyB1954 said:
When using wood, they will produce lots of soot on the bottom of your pots and pans. Not easy to regulate heat output. Simmering may be difficult. Not easy to turn off when done. There is usually a catch to free.

As above. Was curious after seeing many types on YouTube. Built different sizes to play with. Negatives as stated by Danny. However, it can boil water, soup, canned goods, eggs for breakfast with only a handful of twigs and sticks. Single fuel load lasts about15 mins, boils once to temp in about 5 mins. 
Use old pans to cook as it will soot and tar the bottom, especially if you only have softwood fuel source. As a backup, great. In windy conditions, tricky to get going and maintain. Another alternative is just using a stainless steel kitchen utensils holder at Walmart for $3. It has large holes throughout for great air flow, will go about 20-25 mins once at temp. Too much wind, problem as well. Used 6*10 flashing sheet from home depot to cover 3/4 to minimize wind. 
Overall, Not convenient or controllable, windy conditions difficult. Probably not ideal for most except the woodsman boondookers to appeal to their caveman instincts. Lol.
NOT for fire ban areas and seasons. But doable outside of those restrictions.

My next attempt will be too develop bread pan stove utilizing 1-3 charcoal briquets. Longer burn, better wind resistance and affordable consistent dry fuel. 
Any gas stove will be cleaner and more convenient of course. 
IMG_20170815_182742-480x640.jpg
IMG_20170815_183923-480x640.jpg
IMG_20170817_182525-480x640.jpg

IMG_20170911_175408-480x640.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170815_182742-480x640.jpg
    IMG_20170815_182742-480x640.jpg
    68.1 KB
  • IMG_20170815_183923-480x640.jpg
    IMG_20170815_183923-480x640.jpg
    60.1 KB
  • IMG_20170817_182525-480x640.jpg
    IMG_20170817_182525-480x640.jpg
    139.6 KB
  • IMG_20170911_175408-480x640.jpg
    IMG_20170911_175408-480x640.jpg
    111 KB
There are two solutions for soot:

1. Smear dishwashing detergent over the bottom of the pot before you set it on the stove; it will wash off.

2. Let the pot cool and set it in a sturdy plastic bag.