Mini pellet stoves

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AltTransBikes

Reaction score
Just came across this, not affiliated in any way. Riley Camp Stoves of Montana makes a varied line of camp and outfitter stoves mostly for wall tent and horse packing use. Most of their stoves are traditional wood burning but they also make a line of portable pellet camp stoves that do not need electricity and are lightweight and fairly compact, the small one measures 11" x 23" x 13" and weighs 35 lbs.

Mini pellet stove.jpg

Might be interesting since a number of folks frequently ask about wood heat.
Check out their site if you're curious: http://www.rileycampstoves.com/pelletstoves.html

Kind of neat that they have a number of accessories like a 2 gal. hot water jacket for their stoves and such. Cannot speak to their quality and durability (they do have a 5 year full warranty) but their prices seem reasonable.

Attachments

• Mini pellet stove.jpg
    Mini pellet stove.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 33
8 hours of heat with only 40 pounds of pellets. I might have a storage problem.

On another page they state their smallest stove, the 11x23x13, is good for 15 hrs heat with 40 lbs of pellets. If they're rating for an uninsulated canvas wall tent, I'm not sure how that would play out in an insulated vehicle. In fact it might be too much for a small vehicle and blast you out. Maybe one could cook a meal and shut it down and stay warm overnight?

I can't really say if these are any kind of solution for the folks who ask about wood stoves for vans and rvs. Pellets are widely available though and perhaps one could buy as needed without having to store excessive amounts.

I was surprised at the availability and low? cost of pellets.

We never saw much in the way of pellets until we can out west. Or it could be that pellets really took off the winter of 2009. I'm still trying to get over the fact that kerosine isn't available at every convenience store on NM like it is in the southern Appalachians (mountains).

There are still the DIY rocket stoves if you have issues with hauling around pellets. This one uses a 1 gallon paint bucket if you need something really small. And then you may also be able to scale down a waste oil heater. They produce very little smoke (or so I've been led to believe).

I just noticed the comments by CCbreder and the 8 hours of heat out of 40 pounds of pellets. I still own a pellet stove, that is a 90,000 btu unit more than capable of heating an entire house, and on a 40 pound bag it would run a full 24 hours. If you're going thru 40# in 8 hours you might have your flume set wrong or something in error as they are burning way too fast and a lot of your heat might be going up the pipe wastefully. And when I say run a full 24 hours, mine had the electronics burn out years ago, as I had bought it used and I literally rigged the blower and feed motors to just a switch, and literally left it run 24 hours a day in the house just prior to buying Honeys Park.

No you got me wrong, Scar. I was just commenting on the information on the web site that was referenced. I like gas heat, but did use coal at home a few decades. I would not want 90000 btu in my little van. Would be like a toaster oven. :)

I was commenting on the use rate of the pellets, not meant as an attack on you sorry if it came off that way. I'm not using my huge pellet stove right now either as it would roast me out as well, but if those mini's are using pellets at a higher rate than my massive stove then they are super inefficient was my only real point.