Portable Propane water heater ideas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelagoon

Reaction score
I am looking for a personal water heater to use while camping. Right now we camp with just tent and car, no RV.

We frequently camp in cooler temperatures in the woods so a basic heat transfer black bucket isn't going to produce water warm enough for use.

The have a couple of ideas for this. One is Costway Propane Gas Portable Instant Hot Water Heater 

This one is a box about 13" X 10 X 11 that has a 12V operated pump to pump water from a bucket and a propane gas water heater that hooks to a standard 20 gal propane tank. This one is a box so basically can sit on the ground and run and let it vent from there. The problem I see with this one is that is requires a 12V cigarette lighter power for the pump. I would prefer not to run cords around.

So I suppose would run some batteries to this by doing some retrofitting or buy another portable shower that has battery pump then hook that to this instead.

The second option I have found is a Camplux 5L 1.32GPM Ventfree Outdoor Portable Propane Gas Tankless Water Heater 

This is basically similar to the appearance of a tankless water heater found in a residential home but is made to be hung up on a pole or wall at eye level or above. This is the problem with this system as it requires a tree or something to hang it from. I suppose I could drill a screw in tree if there but prefer not to. Has anyone mounted these to be self standing off of a 20 gallon propane tank? 

Having a system like this self standing on propane tank outside of privacy shower tent would be ideal so vapors can vent outside tent then run shower water line and shower head under tent. The second system there are many different brands available. Most don't come with pumps so would have to rig something up to it.

Do a Google search for...…. Zodi Hot Tap Shower

I have one and like it!

Jeff

you said it, those have gone up. I have one too. mine is at least 20 years old. I think Coleman has a newer model out now. highdesertranger

Note camping ones, lower GPM flow is better, since water is so heavy.

I read how someone rigged a recirculating setup, so one gallon could be used for a nice long hot high-pressure shower.

We have used the Coleman water heater for years. As long as you have a place to recharge the battery it works great. We have two batteries, as one doesn't last for a week of dishes & a quick shower for 6 people for a full week.

If you are camping where you will have water, get a 55 gal plastic trash can with a lid. Cut a flap in the lid to insert your water line. Fill with water and it will last at least a week. No hauling water everyday for dishes.

Any ideas what the ideal GPM flow rate is for an acceptable shower? I don't expect a super strong stream but just need enough water coming out that it comes out of showerhead in normal pattern and not a dribble. The current one in house is 1.5 GPM but looks like 1.25 and as low as .5 gallons per minute available for shower heads.

That question is like "how long is a piece of string"?

It is all a system, all flow rates are possible, the components just need to match.

People boondocking without a local water source there measure usage in gallons per day, not per minute.

A garden sprayer can be filled with hot water, or if you only camp near water, so can a 44gal drum.

I use a Coleman and rigged it up so it recirculates into a cooler that holds about 10 gallons. Once it gets to the temperature you like you can just run the pump for a really nice shower without having to adjust the temperature. Charging the battery is sort of a pain, too bad I can not use a Ryobi one 18 volt battery.

That's how the Zodi Hot Tap works.

The heater comes packed in a 3 gallon plastic box with a removable lid. 

You set the heater up and recirculate the water through the heater back into the box till you reach the temp you want.

Shut off the heater, turn on the pump and take your shower.

Normally more than enough water for two showers,

Jeff