Million Ways to Make Meatloaf

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annapearl

Reaction score
I just recently found out that some people make meatloaf using oatmeal!  This realization opened my mind to the fact that there must be a million ways to make meatloaf!  How do you make meatloaf?  Do you use bread, breadcrumbs, crackers, or oatmeal?  Do you use eggs?  Do you use ketchup, mustard, worchestershire, picante?

being zero carb I use meat and eggs and dash of onion salt powder for taste only. done deal and fab with a smidge of beef gravy over it to make it decadent.
hubby loves oatmeal and ketchup in his meatloaf, worchestershire, chopped onion and a few more things but I don't really know cause it ain't what I eat, lol but he sure jacks it up for himself.

wonderful thing about it you can make mini loafs for individuals, giant loaves to feed a ton of people etc. :)
meatloaf is a wonderful meal and stores so well for leftovers or freezing if needed

My favorite meatloaf uses eggs onions and rice with ketchup on top.

There are even vegan and vegetarian meatloaves. The british have nut loaf or nut roast I think it's called. It's a chestnut, mushroom, grain, egg, whatever roast that sometimes is roasted in a tomato pasta sauce and basted with the sauce. Looks a lot like meatloaf.

The nut loaf as I understand came about in england during WW2 when meat was in short supply.

Cold day old meatloaf makes a great sandwich. Or you can put it on a sub roll with sliced provolone cheese and toast it and it makes a great meatball sandwich type of flavor.

I use whatever comes to hand to soak up the juices, be it oatmeal, bread, crackers, croutons, etc. Onions and bell pepper make it stand out.

I make meatloaf with oatmeal, of course.

One big handful of quick oats and one egg per pound of meat, squirt in ketchup for one count per pound, one good dash of Worcestershire per pound, a good sprinkle of onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Mix well, shape into oblong loaf and bake.

Serve with cooked corn and red potatoes mashed with sour cream and garlic.

Now I'm hungry for meatloaf. Doh! I like to cut the meatloaf into the mashed potatoes and mix well :p

Leftovers on sliced bread with a gob of mayonnaise and with a leaf of lettuce. My mouth is watering.

cool ingredients all use

vegan meatloaf, I can't help but laugh so hard and don't try to sway me or dissuade me or change my mind on any of this hilarious crap LOL :) :) sorry in advance HA....AT LEAST name it something else :)

Tofuloaf, is that what the vegans eat? IDK and don't care. Tried tofu once, enough for me.

I actually like tofu. It's all in the way you prepare it. But yeah vegan style meatloaf I've never tried but it's usually nuts and grains.

I'd rather have the real stuff though.

I haven't done meatloaf in quite a while, but when I did I'd use whatever I had at the time that seemed good.

very true, meat is meat and some love turkeymeatloaf and all

but plant meatloaf is not meatloaf.....call it NONmeatloaf I guess HAHA who knows, too funny

How about meatlessloaf? Whatever it is, not sure I want any. I would be expecting one thing and get another. Sounds like disappointment waiting to happen.

I have wanted to try a british nutloaf recipe I found but chestnuts are wicked hard to find near me and they're more than meat. Maybe I'll make a meatloaf soon.

Xertyx do you pre cook the rice? My niece uses rice in meatballs and doesn’t precook. Comes out surprisingly well.

I love meatloaf.

Hmmm....I heard of rice in meatballs, don't see why it wouldn't work in meatloaf. I use the instant rice in my porcupine meatballs. It plumps right up with the juices of the burger. I like the idea of making the meatloaf in little loaves. You could make a full recipe and freeze some in our tiny little freezers (if we are lucky enough to have one). Curious about the nut loaves.....not at all curious about the tofu.....not for me. I am making turkey Mexican meatloaf tonight for dinner with baked potatoes and broccoli. Yum, Yum!

I put anything I have laying around in meatloaf. rice, tomatoes, peas, green onions, onions, green chili's like Hatch, green beans, bread crumbs, croutons, sausage, eggs, hash browns, cheese, cream cheese, bacon(a must), corn, gold dust, carrots, black olives, crackers, Worchester Sauce, milk, garlic(raw or roasted), potato flakes, and basically anything else that isn't sweet that I have laying around. highdesertranger

Gold dust... you’ve lost it HDR.

Are you going to the van build thing?

no oven in my RV so I just make burgers instead of meatloaf.