Mighty Kool

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theiznezz

Reaction score
I bought one of these a month or so ago. They are a bit pricey but I am happy with it. Here in PA temperature was 105 last week and I was comfortable. Before I got this I just relied on reflectix and fans. This has been the most comfortable summer I've spent in my van by far. Sometimes I even get under a blanket while it runs. Just thought I'd share with you all.

the mightykool is a swampcooler. 

I researched it before but it requires modification to run in a van, you need to buy a special air intake housing for it to connect to outside air. For the price that should be built-in. You have to more or less mount it by an open window to use as is. That might be inconvenient in most vans.
mightykool full.jpg

This is the backside with the (extra cost) intake housing/ducting. Without the flexible ducting its hard to get maximun performance out of a swampcooler. 
mightykool addon.jpg

I dont have a mightykool but use my own handbuilt swampcoolers, almost none that I seen on the internet have an intake housing, to me thats the most important feature for use in a van. This is how I feed my swampcooler through side vents. 
side vents.jpg
Just went through a heatwave here in southern california, humidity was high, temp was high, sun was brutal, but couldnt make it without my swampcooler. Had it running practically 24/7 the whole time. They work pretty well, better then just a fan or roof vents.

Attachments

• mightykool addon.jpg
    mightykool addon.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 8
  • mightykool full.jpg
    mightykool full.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 10
  • side vents.jpg
    side vents.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 9
You don't need the hose. I don't at least. The gave it to me free when I told them what I intended to use it for.

I just have the hose running to the window. I don't notice much of a difference without it though

I tried to post pictures but the site wont let me. Sorry

Sofi said:
I just found a bunch of reviews for mighty cool, and it appears it is not all that mighty after all...
http://swampy.net/kooleraire.html

Your link is for Kooleraire which is not the same as a Mighty Cool swamp cooler.

Mighty Cool does not require ice, just water and it is not an air conditioner and will not cool a room but will blow cooler air at you than a fan.

My Mighty Cool works just fine, but like any swamp cooler it does not work in areas of high humidity so mostly it is for use in western North America.

Mighty Cool does not require any ducting but must be in a room or RV with plenty of fresh air ventilation.

The Zero Breeze looks like another great option. It's a small 12 volt, 1100 BTU AC unit that only draws about 1 amp. It also has a battery pack, which you could charge up beforehand, to extend your run time during off peak hours.

Problem with the Zero Breeze seems to be they can't or aren't meeting production - some people paid for them three years ago and still haven't received the product. Just like the 110 v portable AC you have to duct the exhaust out an open window. Could be a great thing IF they were out there.
And that is my uneducated two cents worth.

Latest posts