Microwave Oven

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmith58

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice. Is it possible to run a small microwave oven off an inverter? If you have some experience with this, what are you using.
Thanks,
Don

There has been a lot of discussion about microwaves,  here are a few links.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-microwave--11759?highlight=Microwave+Oven 

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Low-wattage-microwave-or-toaster-oven?highlight=Microwave+Oven

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Microwave-Ovens?highlight=Microwave+Oven

Bottom line, It can be done but you need plenty of solar, good size battery bank and a pure sine wave inverter.   They are a big power draw but only run for minutes at a time.  I plan on having one in a cargo trailer next spring but I'll be driveway surfing.

I've heard but not confirmed Panisonic "Inverter" microwaves don't mind modified sine. (The inverter refers to their internal parts, not use on an inverter.)

I don't know why anyone needs a microwave. Just pretend you have a double boiler. Put a pan on the stovetop with some water, put a smaller pan inside it with your food. Glass Pyrex dishes work great for this. I store my leftovers in Pyrex for that reason - the next day, I just take the container from the fridge and put it in a pan of water and heat it up.

Works better than a microwave. It does take slightly longer but it gives a much more even and thorough heating without worry of drying out or burning things the way microwaves can. In fact the ambient steam does a great job of keeping everything hydrated and much more like its original texture when cooked vs after microwave reheating. And it uses zero electricity.

I gave up on microwaves years before I even thought of living in a van.

TMG51 said:
I don't know why anyone needs a microwave.

No one needs a microwave.  No one needs a motorcycle.  I could go on and on with a list of stuff that no one "needs".

Point is, some stuff you have just cause you decide you want it.

Me, I like cooking in a microwave and I plan to have one.

Regards
John

ps:  neat idea about cooking with Pyrex in a double boiler set up.  I hadn't run across that idea before.

My RoadTrek came with a "Danby" (Canadian?) Microwave that works just fine on my Xantrex 1000 watt (modified sign wave) inverter.  I usually run the engine also when I'm using it for more than 20-30 seconds--to add a few extra amps to my two original 12V house batteries.   Can't beat a microwave for reheating  'Wienerschnitzel' Chili dogs!

PS  I hate the noise, smell and hassle of generators...IMHO avoid them at all costs...and consider 2 or more house batteries+solar.

I don't need a microwave and I don't want one. however some people do want them. you need a large battery bank and a PSW invertor, although some say a MSW works for them.

what I don't like about a micro wave is it makes meat tough, it makes bread chewy, it makes pasta rubbery.

I have done the double boiler to reheat food this works especially good on spaghetti. however it consumes a lot of propane to reheat this way. highdesertranger

TMG51 said:
I don't know why anyone needs a microwave. Just pretend you have a double boiler. Put a pan on the stovetop with some water, put a smaller pan inside it with your food. Glass Pyrex dishes work great for this. I store my leftovers in Pyrex for that reason - the next day, I just take the container from the fridge and put it in a pan of water and heat it up.

Works better than a microwave. It does take slightly longer but it gives a much more even and thorough heating without worry of drying out or burning things the way microwaves can. In fact the ambient steam does a great job of keeping everything hydrated and much more like its original texture when cooked vs after microwave reheating. And it uses zero electricity.

I gave up on microwaves years before I even thought of living in a van.

1) NO dirty dishes 
2 EASY, I'm done before you can get the two Pyrex dishes out
3) FREE from the sun--NO propane, NO electric bills

I can't think of  single reason why I would even consider giving up my mircowave.
Bob

It's not that hard to run a microwave, I have 400 watt of solar, 4 golf cart batteries and a 2000 watt Pure sine wave inverter. Use BIG wires on the inverter, I used 2/0 two-ought.
Bob

From the time I lived in LA, 1988, to the time I moved out of Tucson on a motorcycle, 2012, I had a nice little 600 watt microwave. I wish I had never gotten rid of that thing. It would have been perfect for RV life.

I've used a microwave for the last 10 plus years called the Wave Box, developed in Australia.  It came with 3 power cords...cigarette lighter, alligator clips and shore power.  5.5 amp draw on the 12 volt side and 425 watt when plugged in to ac source.  Granted it's not as fast as a household one and it's not much bigger than a lunch pail but it's served this truck driver well during times desired.  Besides....the last thing I plan on doing as a van dweller/retiree....is being in a hurry :). I don't know if they even make them anymore/offer in the U.S, I bought mine at a truck show when they first came out.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 15
Our Roadtrek came with a 700 watt microwave. There are two of us and it is too small and heats stuff slowly. We have a 1100 watt counter top in the S&B that fits nicely in the same space the small one fit in. Unfortunately we have to run the generator to use it. Microwaves are just so handy though. Want a baked potato to go with that steak? Generator run time about 10 minutes to do two potatoes.

Panasonic Inverter  series microwave does much better on MSW inverters than any other microwave due to it's use of wide voltage range switching  power supply rather than a transformer power supply.   

Coffee cup test, one minute on shore power and one minute on MSW inverter power, Panasonic Inverter series both have the same temperature, transformer microwave, MSW inverter temp is about 60%.  You need a voltmeter that reads in RMS voltages to see why.

Corky

Why do I need a microwave? Number 2: Steam in Bag frozen vegetables and S-i-B brown rice. 8 or 10 minutes in the microwave while the beef cooks in a pan followed by red wine and brandy de-glaze as gravy.

BobBski said:
I've used a microwave for the last 10 plus years called the Wave Box, developed in Australia.  It came with 3 power cords...cigarette lighter, alligator clips and shore power.  5.5 amp draw on the 12 volt side and 425 watt when plugged in to ac source.  Granted it's not as fast as a household one and it's not much bigger than a lunch pail but it's served this truck driver well during times desired.  Besides....the last thing I plan on doing as a van dweller/retiree....is being in a hurry :). I don't know if they even make them anymore/offer in the U.S, I bought mine at a truck show when they first came out.

I was looking at these the other day, and wondered how well they work.  Sounds like you are happy with it.
http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-microwave-wavebox/12-volt-microwave.htm

It's a strange thing about doing potatoes in the microwave, but if you wrap them in Cling wrap they cook in half the time. Walmart sells them all wrapped in cling wrap and it says right n them not to poke holes in it and 5 minute cooking time. Mine gets done in 3 1/2 - 4 minutes.

I decided to try just buying cling wrap and wrapping it myself and it works just the same.

The mircowave draws 2 amps per minute (1200 an hour including 20% inverter inefficiency and Peukert) . A potato takes about 10 amps in the microwave and my 440 hour bank can afford that.
Bob

akrvbob said:
1) NO dirty dishes 
2 EASY, I'm done before you can get the two Pyrex dishes out
3) FREE from the sun--NO propane, NO electric bills

I can't think of  single reason why I would even consider giving up my mircowave.
Bob

I agree Bob!

there are a couple obvious reasons not to have a microwave, cost and space, more panels,more batteries, bigger inverter, bigger charge controller, cost of the microwave and the space all these things take up. running a micro wave can end up costing an extra 1,000 dollars or so and force you to sleep in the fetal position depending on the size of your van. The other issue with a microwave in a van is that you always have to reset the clock.