Medical Devices, CPAP Machines

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HWJ

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experience using electronic devices long term in the vehicles. I have to sleep with a CPAP device. It uses a 90W, 24volt, 3.75Amp power adapter which isn't any different from a standard laptop adapter. The only problem is that it would have to run for at least 8 hours a night.<br />Maybe find some way to do a 12volt to 24volt conversion? Or put two deep cycle batteries in series?<br />Need some way to charge them too. I doubt the alternator could handle charging three batteries when the engine is running.<br /><br />I have a couple of 15watt, 1amp solar panels but they aren't much good except for trickle charge.

Howard....I was using a CPAP for the last several years but was just moved to a BIPAP. What I am wondering is what it is you have that requires that much juice? My first one was a Puritan-Bennett 420G and ran on 12v and had a AC to DC converter for line voltage.....now I have a Respironics Bi-flex that is also 12v and has an AC to DC converter this one draws 60W when using the humidifier....<br /><br />What I do when either in the van or traveling anywhere, is leave the humidifier at home and use the rig without it...I use a little saline spray to lube up...<br /><br />What it means is that i can get by with just a standard 12v house battery.<br /><br />When I was thinking I would camp at altitude...I would also need to plumb O2 into my CPAP as well. I have a Sequal portable O2 concentrator to travel with when needed but when all was totaled up for power needs, it came to 90 AH in an 8 hour period. Yikes...Well, I put two 6v T105 Trojan golfcart batteries wired in series. Charged with two 50W panels on the roof. It worked fine.<br /><br />I finally realized that I really didn't care that much about camping that high so i pulled the Trojans and put the marine 12v house battery back in.<br /><br />If you want to talk more about you can pm me....<br />Bri

That would be 7.5 amps at 12 volts, for 8 hours is about 60 amp hours out of the battery(s) each night. &nbsp;If you have to use an inverter to power it, add 15% more to the consumption.<br /><br />The alternator can return a portion, but after 80% State of Charge is reached, the last 20 % can take hours &nbsp;and hours of driving to reach 100%. &nbsp;After many days of not reaching 100%, they batteries will fail to power the Cpap all night and &nbsp;will live a short life.<br /><br />A 130 watt solar panel can do about 60 AH a day flat on the roof in a sunny environment.<br /><br />I believe they sell &nbsp;12 volt C pap machines, so you can eliminate the inverter losses

The CPAP has a humidifier module built in and I seem to need it, otherwise my nose gets raw. So its probably 12v per part of the module.<br />Chances are I might be able to use AC and plug in some nights while in the city, but I may have 3-4 days straight without it.<br /><br />So maybe I need to invest in better panels to charge the battery system more effectively. They just need to be small enough to be roof mounted.

Your CPAP may not use that much power, case labels are maximum not average.&nbsp; So things might not be so bad.<br /><br />DC-DC converters can be made in any configuration, actually the hardest and least efficiant are when the voltages are close.&nbsp; (Such as running a 12v +/- 5% device off of a 11-15v house battery.)&nbsp; A car laptop charger of the proper ratings may work for your application.