Meat and freezers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added a lot of insulation to my 5-day cooler. I used Gorilla Glue to glue 2 inch thick pieces of blue (or pink, but not white) styrofoam to the top, bottom and all the sides.&nbsp; <br>that helped a lot. I also put a empty kitty litter tub in the middle and put the ice in it. That way when it melted the water stayed in the kitty litter tub and my food stayed dry. It also helps to keep the cooler cold. If the whole cooler has water in it, the water transfers the cold very quikly to the outside walls. Air does not transmit cold anywhere near as well as water and actually insulates the ice in the kitty litter tub.<br><br>Whenever possible, buy block ice, it lasts much longer. Also, keep the cooler as full as possible which will keep it colder longer. Once you move into the trailer, the savings on rent should help pay or a new cooler.<br><br>I see jackrabbits on a daily basis out here in AZ and NV. I take my dog for about 2 hours worth of walks a day, and it is an unusual day we don't see at least one. I've often thought if the s**t ever hits the fan I could live for awhile on jack rabbits. Bob<br><br>

Thanks for the tip on the cooler. I'm still not sure how much refrigerated food I will need or want to travel with still. Mostly my plans are to travel with lots of dry foods and buy fridge stuff as I need it. At least until I work out the "how long does it last" to "how often I go to market" ratio.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>I've always thought the same about jackrabbits. I had an opportunity to try blacktail jackrabbit once, and they're really good. Anything you make with chicken you can make with these guys.&nbsp;</div>

i just picked up a&nbsp;<b id="mainContent" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-align: left; font-size: small; "><h1 itemprop="name" class="vi-is1-titleH1" style="font-size: 18px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-family: Trebuchet, 'Trebuchet MS'; ">Dometic CF-050DC Waeco Portable Fridge Freezer i set it on 29 degs it took about 30 mints to get there im realy happy with it</h1></b>

Seeria said:
There are a few folks over on the skoolie.net forum that have regular chest freezers setup to to battery/solar power. Something I plan to do myself since I'll need a way to store food hunted.
do you have a link , I'd lreally like to read that , as I have a small deep freezer that draws little power but I'm not sure how it would work with a battery . When I bought the freezer last year the tag said it only cost $ 25. 00 a year to run . Surely I can run it on a deep cycle battery for a couple of days before needing to recharge .

<P>
akrvbob said:
I've heard of those Edgestars, and the price is terriffic! They are too new to know if they will be reliable, so report back to us Reddo on how you like it.
</P><P>There is a very long, detailed thread about these at the&nbsp;Expedition Portal forum.&nbsp; <A href="http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23350-Cheap-Fridge-lt-400-shipped" target=_blank target=_blank>http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23350-Cheap-Fridge-lt-400-shipped</A></P>

Latest posts