Maxxair VS Fantastic Fan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score

By the time I pay US to CDN exchange and with shipping the maxxair is going to cost me almost $500cdn. Is it worth it?

I currently have the Fantastic Fan base model and it does me fine. However on my latest build I want a permanent rain cover so fully open my vent when its raining... which is very often in Vancouver. Once I add the cost of the cover to the FF the price is getting up there.

The main draw of the maxxair is that on its lowest setting it only uses .80 amps. Cant remember what the FF lowest setting is.

Any other thoughts between these two?

One Awesome Inch said:

By the time I pay US to CDN exchange and with shipping the maxxair is going to cost me almost $500cdn. Is it worth it?

I currently have the Fantastic Fan base model and it does me fine. However on my latest build I want a permanent rain cover so fully open my vent when its raining... which is very often in Vancouver. Once I add the cost of the cover to the FF the price is getting up there.

The main draw of the maxxair is that on its lowest setting it only uses .80 amps. Cant remember what the FF lowest setting is.

Any other thoughts between these two?

Installed Maxxfan over a year ago and love it.  I would think the lowest amp draw of Fantastic Fan would be close to same.

The built in rain guard works great.  I have used it in hard rains with no problem.  If however the wind/rain is blowing sideways directly at the exhaust louvers it is possible to get some water blow through.  When I had this happen it was only like I could barely feel it as a slight mist on hard wind gust.  If fan speed had been on a higher setting would probably not have felt the mist.

Maxxfan does not have lifetime warranty like FF.

Excellent. Thanks for that link.

Question : Is a lot light able to penetrate the smoke colored top of the maxxair? One of the things I really like and want is the "skylight" type function I have from my current FF. If the maxxair doesn't let much light in that's a dealbreaker for me.

Hey I know i'm late to this party, and you may have already ordered your MF...
WE LUV OUR 5100K in white. And for us, the lowest setting on that model is 0.2 amps as measured on a Xantrex meter in the system. On letting light in? We have the white model and like the soft diffused light it yields.

Great for the soggy PNW typical weather. . . WET!

: ) Thom

I had a fantastic fan on my last van and now have a Maxxair. It's a big improvement and am extremely happy with it.

It does let light in. So much that I'm planning on painting the inside of the cover black and the outside white so I can sleep in late. It's diffuse light, though - the FF would let slivers of light in through the edges that always seemed to hit me right in the eye when I was sleeping.

The fan is very quiet. The FF got loud after a while, but that was probably due to me spending time in dusty areas.

The top is very solid whether open, closed, or in between. The FF rattled around in the wind.

The rain hood thing would fix some of these problems but not all.

I've been in pouring rain with heavy winds and have yet to have any water get in.

I bought the Fantastic Vent and the Maxx Vent at the same time.   Although I have not installed the Fantastic Vent (top of the line model) I do note that the Maxx Vent has 2 vent supports holding the lid, whereas the Fantastic has only 1.   The most important feature to me is that I can remove the screen and clean the screen, fan blades, and inside of the vent from the inside of the van.

The bad:   The bearings went bad on my Maxx Vent in a few short months.

I had one of each on my last rig ....the Maxx bearings started squeaking after a year or so , sent email to cust service, never got a response. Unfortunately , that was the one mounted in the bedroom.
I had the Maxx covers on both,,,,those were nice !

I also thought about one of those radiator fans, cheap as dirt off Ebay, but not too sure about the power draw. The pics show stickers with either 80 or 90 Watts, regardless of size. ..Willy.

Willy said:
I also thought about one of those radiator fans, cheap as dirt off Ebay, but not too sure about the power draw. The pics show stickers with either 80 or 90 Watts, regardless of size. ..Willy.

Mnes a 9inch fan , 80watts ,, I think its like 1750 cfm.
I rarely use the fan , all heat rises out anyways so I only use the fan sometimes for 5 minutes max when cooking .
I honestly could get by easily without a fan  , the vent is a must have and is great because you can leave it open in the summer and don't have to worry about rain.
You do have to fabrcate something to cover the hole in the winter