Mattress Options

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shamoo said:
I bought one of these which I use in my little scamp.  It's cot-sized, a pleasant level of firmness, AND it folds into thirds.  Just thought I'd throw it out there for your consideration.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W67PJ4M/

Good luck.  -- Sharon

That does look comfortable! I will keep my eye on that. It's currently out of my price range. I need to measure the pull down bed in my RV, because it would be great for whatever I get to work there as well.

akrvbob said:
The Thermarest brand makes very good pads! I'd also look at REI brands. The key thing to the self-inflating is they have insulation in them so they will keep you warm where an air mattress will be a nightmare in the cold. They are also easily adjustable so you can make it harder or softer.

I've been sleeping on a self-inflating in my van for the last few years and don't plan to sleep on anything else.

I have to agree with Bob , thermarest makes good prods.  Therms at REI can be a bit pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for.  I don't know, I look at REI as the Whole Foods of camping items lol.

Blasian_Invasian said:
Whole Foods of camping items lol.

It totally is! And I used to work at one. As of right now, my road trip planning is on hold because I just had a job interview. I had applied and written it off because I had been told the position was already filled. It's a job I've been trying to get an interview for for 3 years but I've also got the itch to get out of here. Once I know who they hire, then I will know what I'm doing.

Not sure if we should wish you luck...   ;)  Here's wishing you your next best step, whatever that will be.

SeekingPeace said:
Not sure if we should wish you luck...   ;)  Here's wishing you your next best step, whatever that will be.

You get it! Thank you.

As a parent without a steady income, I cannot turn down a job offer. But, we live with my mom outside Flint, Michigan and I really want to get on the road. This whole camping road trip is being planned so I can source more books, increase  my  income, meet someone I have been getting to know online for 6 months, and work towards getting my motorhome ready to go. If I get the job offer, all of that is scrapped and I have to put my 4 year old in preschool (I think I found one I feel really good about, so that helped me go into the interview less anxious). But, if the job needs to start within the next two weeks, my mom will be out of the country and I won't have childcare sorted out. Also, there is a month between when my mom goes back to work (teacher) and when preschool starts. Either way this turns out there are pros and cons so if I get the job offer, then I accept it, and if I don't then I go buy a mattress and a stove and it the road when my mom gets back (I have a sick cat that has to stay here). Just gotta go with the flow here!

CautionToTheWind said:

This is the sort of thing I'm planning on using (except mine is all regular foam instead of memory foam). I'm already using it indoors as a cheap mattress, on top of a camping cot. Not perfect, but it will be better on the firmer, flatter surface inside my Expedition, I think. And it sure made my move into a third-floor apartment easier!

I have a big Luxury Map Thermarest, and now it's too long for my new shortened bed. I look at it and nearly cried at the thought of giving it up. But no, I WILL NOT give up my Thermarest! I'll just fold the excess underneath itself. Problem solved.

There are many options out there but it truly depends on how you sleep and what you find comfortable. We live in a Saturn coupe and currently have a four inch thick foam pad with feather blankets and down comforter. This is super comfortable for us but can be a pain for others. We are thinking of upgrading to a futon mattress for more comfort and insulation.

waldenbound said:
I have a big Luxury Map Thermarest, and now it's too long for my new shortened bed. I look at it and nearly cried at the thought of giving it up. But no, I WILL NOT give up my Thermarest! I'll just fold the excess underneath itself. Problem solved.

I was going to say fold it under or finding a way to fold it down the end of whatever your sleeping platform is. I wouldn't want to give up something that has been working for you!

ChickadeeJP said:
I am going to be tent camping and need something I can sleep on comfortably.

I chuckled because this reminds me of a camping trip I took years ago with some coworkers. A guy and his wife, who were far from the outdoorsy types, showed up with the mattress from their queen bed. They managed to stuff it into their tent. It was funny as hell, but they were the most comfortable people there.