Mattress/foam -what do your sleep on?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymie

Reaction score
Wondering if people used a mattress or memory foam or what was the choice of sleeping bed?

When I built my bed, I was an idiot and went to Tallman's House of Foam in Palo Alto Ca. where I payed $160 for a 6' X 36" piece of foam.  

It's really good foam, but $160?!   :s

Stymie said:
Wondering if people used a mattress or memory foam or what was the choice of sleeping bed?

There are a lot of threads on this subject.  Just search!

Stymie said:

I use 2 outdoor chaise lounge pads, they were cheap, thick, and my bed is a pull out that makes a twin size bed so they were perfect to have one for backrest when its pushed in.

I have a 10 inch dual density foam mattress that was taken out of its' cover and trimmed two inches on the side to make it fit.  I then glued a 2 inch memory foam pad to the top of the dual density (glue was expensive) pad and reinstalled the cover.  This bed sleeps better than the high dollar king bed in the S&B.  When we move into the addition we are building for us to grow old in, I will be converting two twin XL mattresses in the same manner.  We have adjustable twin bed frames to fit the king size headboard.

I use a combo of a chaise lounge pad and a few backpacking style pads. It rolls up nice, which is crucial to my setup and I've never had reason to upgrade.

I sleep on a memory foam and love it. It's more comfortable then the bed I used to sleep on when I had a house. Plenty of deals out there on mattresses all the time. I found the local outlet for the bigger chain in my area and got a smoking deal.

The other benefit of the memory foam was that my bed is an irregular size. It started as a full but ended up with 4'' cut off the side of it so it would fit better. I also had to cut out the corners a little bit because of a protrusion in the van at the back corners. Memory foam cuts very easily with a bread knife and made for a perfect fit.

I sleep on a regular foam Twin XL (longer than a standard twin) mattress from Mattress Firm. I added a 4" memory foam topper. Best bed I ever slept on.

Scout said:
Could this be cut down or folded 90 degrees?

It can be cut down easily.  I have owned a couple of these mattresses and the first one I bought while I was living in a minivan so space was tight. I cut it down to fit almost perfectly around the curve of the wheel well just using an exacto knife.

Folding is harder.  It will fold if you need access underneath real quick(I have my plywood bed hinged in the middle so I can fold either end up to get at storage) but I wouldn't try to use it as a couch or anything without some serious modification.  Does that make sense?

NickTheoBennett said:
It can be cut down easily.  I have owned a couple of these mattresses and the first one I bought while I was living in a minivan so space was tight. I cut it down to fit almost perfectly around the curve of the wheel well just using an exacto knife.

Folding is harder.  It will fold if you need access underneath real quick(I have my plywood bed hinged in the middle so I can fold either end up to get at storage) but I wouldn't try to use it as a couch or anything without some serious modification.  Does that make sense?

Yes thank you.  I intended to use it for a couch/bed. Maybe ill have to find something else. I saw another link on here for one that fits on a foldout couch.