Matress for van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRRNeiklot

Reaction score
My van has one of those old roll over sofa beds.   It's not a jackknife, the back of the couch rolls all the way over.   It's pretty worn out and I can feel the metal supports on my back no matter which way I lie.  I need to make this more comfortable somehow and could use some advice.  I was thinking of buying a memory foam topper and cutting it to size.  The problem is doing that would require two different sized sections, so I couldn't easily lay them on top of each other when it's in couch mode.  I don't have much room in the van, so I don't know where I'd keep the mattress sections.  Here's a link to a similar - but newer - type of sofa bed: 

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks.

Have no direct experience with this type bed but did have a fold down benchseat/bed in a VW Eurovan Camper, brand new. No amount of under blankets or pads, foam, or anything ever fixed the poor sleeping on that setup. Putting stuff on top of broken down materials might ease the feeling of metal but you are still sleeping on lumps and bumps. Not a good fix

The split on this bed would be a concern for me. Can it ever feel good? -But if the split doesn’t bother you, just the fact the couch inners have broken down, I’d consider looking at getting the seating redone. If the fabric is good, doesn’t smell, look into new and better innards. Foam has different grades and firmness.

Another possible option remove all the cushions to the metal supports, fasten plywood to each section and put down your chosen mattress, in sections or one piece. This would be my action choice if possible to fasten plywood to the frame. Then You’d  have a firm level base with the option of changing the sleeping material to suit current needs. -We slept on a futon for number of years, you could feel the metal frame regardless of top until we put some plywood underneath. Then it was a dream.

Here's a picture of the underside of the couch.  You can see the metal braces that are giving me fits.  Could I just slip a piece of plywood between those and the couch?  Or bolt it in under the braces?  I'm seriously considering junking the couch and just slapping a board down and putting a mattress on that and doing without a couch.

2e2jdc9.jpg

hi there,
keep the frame, use thin plywood on top and a memery foam twin 6" or 8" split down the length about halfway through so it folds, use some cordage to make it stay on the frame or use spray adhesive to attach it to the ply. cover with heavy cloth and your couch/ bed it back in business. 70-100$ for the mattress and <20$ for the ply and 5$ or so for the adhesive, as far as material a few $ a yard depending on your choice.

those supports are always crappy for sleeping, good luck whatever you do
jim