Male and Female Nesting Urges

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcal

Reaction score
At the risk of offending absolutely everybody, I contend that there are generally differences in what men and women require to fee content in their home base and that these differences need to be considered in a build or remodel. I am not going to keep writing "in general" because it takes too much time. Please assume that it is there.

For instance, I have seen builds where guys will toss in a price of plywood and a mattress and a sleeping bàgs, and that's Home. A woman will want things painted or "finished" and will add frilly curtains. Men seem to be happy with function, while women want ambiance, too. An example is a recent Nomadic Fanatic video in which he made a little unstained, unsanded, untrimmed plywood  box for a price of equipment and just screwed it to the bottom of his nice RV cabinets and was happy. He wanted and got function. But I have seen women rv'ers, like escapee2012 and reignbeauhounds, do similar projects and they are always painted or stained. Men seem content to stop when something works and move on. Women need something more, a visual satisfaction.

Another example. DH likes to do woodwork. He likes to work with different woods because he is interested in how they act and perform while being worked. After that, he is done with the thing he has made. He uses it but does not "see" it, anymore. I am the one who wants various woods used in various places because I am going to "see" it as part of the whole unit for as long as we own it. Not sure if that thought is clear or muddled.

Priorities.   :blush:

My idea of a nest revolves around function and comfort.

A friend and I had a long discussion about this sort of thing recently. I believe it also relates to "in general" the tendency of men to go buy something, while women go shopping.
I think it is based on the aeons old difference in brain structure that our survival was dependent upon.

Men hunted. If it tries to get away, it is made of meat and can be eaten.
Women gathered. If the berry is this color and on a bush with this shaped leaf, you can eat it. If the berry is the same color but on a bush with that shaped leaf, you will die a slow painful death.

I believe many of the differences between men and women harken back to this difference of wiring.

*disclaimer: This is just My belief. No need to take offence if your beliefs differ from mine.*

GypsyDogs said:
A friend and I had a long discussion about this sort of thing recently.  I believe it also relates to "in general" the tendency of men to go buy something, while women go shopping.
I think it is based on the aeons old difference in brain structure that our survival was dependent upon.  

Men hunted. If it tries to get away, it is made of meat and can be eaten.
Women gathered.  If the berry is this color and on a bush with this shaped leaf, you can eat it.  If the berry is the same color but on a bush with that shaped leaf, you will die a slow painful death.

I believe many of the differences between men and women harken back to this difference of wiring.

*disclaimer:  This is just My belief.  No need to take offence if your beliefs differ from mine.*

I had not thought of that, but it would certainly explain why women seem to react more to color. They were after things that were not trying to hide from them and which showed their ripeness by their color. Women spent more time hanging around the cave and the teepee, too. Maybe decorating that became a more important area to them.

Like shelf paper. Is there a man on this board who uses shelf paper? I am not talking about that non-slide mesh stuff you use to keep your gear from banging and sliding around. I am talking about real shelf paper that you put down so your drawer and cabinet bottoms are protected from crumbs and drips.

I don't know.  You won't find any 'frilly curtains' in my rig.  :)

I admit it. "Brave ain"t I " ha My blue MaGoo "van" is old and has a few rough corners. Not very pretty. But like me it is still going along fine. Just takes a little longer to get there but that gives you more time to enjoy the ride....HoboJoe

I just had this conversation with my son coming home from Home Depot night before last. I'm in the planning stages of making my bed frame and and was looking at paint colors. He's like I thought you wanted to build a bed? and I'm like I do but I have to decide what color I want it too!! :p

Whenever we have moved into a house, I didn't "nest", I "staged". It took me awhile to realize this. I was always preparing for the day the house would be on the market. I think I was born a minimalist and am always miserable around all of this stuff as it smothers my life. Getting closer every day to be done with 90% of this "stuff". Practical is where I am.

I'm guilty of being male. Lol I have nothing decorative on the walls, my bed frame is unpainted, my curtains need hemming, my pillowcases don't match. But I have carpet on the floor for comfort, I keep everything tidy and in it's place, and I have a pillow top mattress that feels awesome! Comfort and usefulness is definitely most important to me. Besides, I'm colorblind so visual means less to me.

In that case I am both female and male, I am the guy that goes hunting and enjoys berries along the way, I like it functional and it has to look good. Esthetics keep me calm, order and functionality keep me sane. It does not require much more effort to make something both functional and look good. I am always blown a way by businesses, or people for that matter, that have everything going for them except their presentation. It is not like it takes a lot of money or effort. It is also easy to go the other way too pretty not functional.

Function before fashion always.

But when it comes to wood, I need to make that wood's inner beauty show.

I'm with Flyingkurbmaster. It has to be functional, but I like it to look and feel good too. That's why I switched out my burlap feed sack curtains for some very colorful ones. Does this mean I'm more in touch with my feminine side than others? I hope I don't have to give up my man card? the guys in hunting camp will be so disappointed!

speedhighway46 said:
Functional, yes; sloppy and half-assed, no.

I need anime wall scrolls, much like what you see here on the wall of my "office" at work.

Photo on 10-8-14 at 2.22 PM #2.jpg

Attachments

• Photo on 10-8-14 at 2.22 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 10-8-14 at 2.22 PM #2.jpg
    206.2 KB
speedhighway46 said:
Functional, yes; sloppy and half-assed, no.

I agree on this. Something slapped together and called functional....hell no. My dad once told me, have pride in what you do. Even if no one ever sees it, this is the standard you set for you and everyone around you.

John

mockturtle said:
I don't know.  You won't find any 'frilly curtains' in my rig.  :)

I don't have frilly curtains either MockT, but their color is stunning.  (and they are very functional in that they block heat/light)  And I made them myself.

Guess mom was right- I am the son my father never had. lol

I was a metal fabricator for many years but since retirement I also do wood carving and some wood working. Function is most important but I have always taken pride in the finished product. It takes very little extra time to make something you can be proud of.

On the other side as far as decorating, My father in law lived in an apartment in a retirement complex and my wife and her sisters were always concerned about him having the proper seasonal decorations on his door. I tried to tell them, all a man needs on his door is a door knob.

Another Bob

I guess I'm greedy... I want it all, form, function, cleanliness, and visually appealing.

I use both shelf and drawer liners, and I have always been a clean freak. My van is clean enough to eat off the floors at all times.

I've never been a frilly type guy, but I would also never consider bare or unsanded wood as passable either, but I do prefer the wood look vs. painted. Finished wood has a warmer and more welcoming feel to me.

Unlike many guys, and girls too for that matter, I am a slave to organization. Everything has a place, and is returned to that place as soon as it is done being used. That way the next time I need something, I know exactly where to find it, and don't need to go hunting for it.

I believe that when others see a nicely finished, clean, and uncluttered camper van, that goes a long way to separate you from being one of "those people".

I'm a cabinet maker by trade, so i'm plagued by perfection. And my dad owned a floor covering business, so I need my floors to be perfect too. I've custom made furniture to fit every need in every home I ever had, and all my friends make fun of me for it, but deep down I know they are jealous, I can build a house and it's furnishings too : )

Welcome aboard the forums ! (guess I missed your first few posts)
On behalf of myself and the rest of us I promise we won't make fun of you.
Well , maybe a little . Just kidding!
We can always use another experienced point of view when doing rig mods.....