Making the best out of my 94 Ram Diesel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmack66

Reaction score
Warm winter travels and outfitting my Ram 4x4

Thanks for all the great advice!

I am trying to figure out how to outfit for this winter. I have an old 94 ram full size single cab 4x4 with the cummins. It has only 130K and I just put a new tranny in it so I can't see selling it really. I was first looking at a regular truck camper but realize I don't really have the payload. I could get a pop up slide in. I could pull a trailer. I have always liked work and play toy haulers for flexibility, but I would like to be able to really go off the beaten path too and boondock.

I know, I need to make up my mind, but I want to leave the most options open while being comfortable and affordable on my first adventure. I work a seasonal job in the summer in Durango Colorado and could get by financially during the winter. I want to be near the beach and explore the coasts.

If I was focused on the coast, than I don't know how much back country I would need to be doing. I would like the option but, I can see having a small trailer with an ac and all that too. Parking the trailer and having my truck easily available to drive around in, maybe get some part time work and all is an option too.

So, a pop up and maybe drop it at a campground if working.... A small toy hauler and put a regular shell on the bed of my truck for storage and what not.... I don't know. Maybe even park the trailer and do some short overnights in real off road conditions when wanted.

Anyway, any thoughts would be great. I would love to meet up with warm coastal travelers this winter too!

Thanks,
Brian

I have a 6x10 enclosed cargo trailer I tow and I have been very happy with it. I've taken it some pretty gnarly places and I am impressed with it's off-road ability. You've got the truck for it!

That might be something to consider.
Bob

they didn't put the cummins in a 1/2 ton. so you must have at least a 3/4 ton. your truck should handle a camper no problem. but like bob said you could pull a trailer. the early cummins are great motors. and welcome to the forum. highdesertranger

Yes I have a 2500 3/4 ton. Surprisingly, the payload is only about 1900 pounds and it is less for a camper when you factor CG and then you have to add wet weight. That is what I understand anyway. I can pull much more weight.

Thanks

Rigs from the 90s had much lower GVWR than todays trucks. The 4x4 adds about 400 pounds and that engine is very heavy. It leaves surprisingly little payload.

I'm a big fan of Capri Campers. They build very simple little campers that are very light. Here is a nice camper that is 900 pounds. It comes empty and you order anything else you want either as a package or a la carte.

http://capricamper.com/models/maverick/

Bob

akrvbob said:
I'm a big fan of Capri Campers. They build very simple little campers that are very light. Here is a nice camper that is 900 pounds. It comes empty and you order anything else you want either as a package or a la carte.
http://capricamper.com/models/maverick/

Bob

Hoowee! Adding those option packages gets the wallet to really hurting! :(

Brian, I used to have a Four Wheel pop up on my last truck. I absolutely loved it and i took it places I'm sure even they didn't intend it to go. It didn't fit my new truck due to the tapered bed so I sold it. In thinking about what I wanted next I decided to build my own cargo trailer conversion for a couple reasons. 1) I work in the building industry and I didn't want to have to unload my tools every time I wanted to travel. 2) I also hope to one day take my work on the road, living in my trailer for a couple months at a time and working on buildings in different areas of the country. 3) If I end up traveling for any length of time I'd like to be able to bring my KLR 650 with me and it's a little heavy for a hitch hauler.
My trailer is almost done with the excepting of a few trim details. I've been able to use it a few times this summer, including a week in Montana working on a reservation. So far I'm really happy with the results. It's a 6x12 with a v nose so it's about the same size as a full size van. I built it with nice paneling and a few perks, but kept most of the systems very simple. It's proven to be more comfortable than the old popup which had more features. And my Cummins doesn't even notice it's behind it. I hope this helps with your decision. If you want to see it in person I'm only a few hours away north of Colorado Springs.

Thanks again everybody. Lots to keep thinking about. I checked out the Capri's. They look cool, but it makes me want to build one. It just keeps coming down to where I am wanting to go most I guess. I have been reading about Baja trips now. I can imagine pulling right up on the beach with a 4 wheel pop up camper and that sure looks appealing. I think that could happen in Florida too. I feel the trailer could be more comfortable for sure but I seem to be leaning toward going where I want for now.

As a dealer once told me, you need about 4 of them, trailers, campers, van, rv, to cover all the best scenarios.

Would love to see your trailer masterplumber, if I get that way. There are a few 4 wheel camper manufacturers in the Denver area too. Just expensive, but if I find a used one maybe.....

Most Florida beaches do not allow motor vehicles on them. Gotta park along the highway (many have parking areas and picnic shelters), then walk to the beach.

No problem Brian, if you do get my way I'll hook you up with a map of a Baja trip I took about 10 years ago with the Wescots of Turle Expedition fame. It was an awesome trip spent mainly in the places few tourists go and my old F350 with a Four Wheel Pop Up was perfect for it. For more pop up info check out the Wander the West forums. More of a recreational emphasis then actually living in one, but still good info. The Wescotts have lived in a couple different ones for up to 3 + years a time as a couple so it can be done.

Latest posts