Making a choice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DodgeRam

Reaction score
Hi all, well to the question "Which one should I get?" Here's the details. I will be using the vehicle in the city and working, but when retirement comes, it's off to the hills and I'll sit there for a few months. Maybe make jewelry to later sell.

Retirement in 8 years. So, I am wondering would it be better to get a RV now or a step van and covert it?

I have seen some older RVs, some Step vans. The step vans would probably last longer and thus, might be a better option. Either one can be junked out. at anytime (Hopefully not for years after purchase though!)

So any thoughts?

Anything used/older is going to need some kind of work on it.
The important question is what amenities do you require. Once you know what you can live with reasonably you can determine how much space you'll need.

bindi&us said:
Anything used/older is going to need some kind of work on it.
The important question is what amenities do you require. Once you know what you can live with reasonably you can determine how much space you'll need.

Well, just what an rv would have. stove, shower & bed I realize things need work, but that wasn't the question nor part of it.

Ok, from my point of view, I'd have built a box truck if I'd had the place and time when we had to make our choice. We're happy to have gotten a good one.
I like steppies, but I had a plan in mind.
That couldn't happen, so we got the RV.

judging from what you said your needs were.....an RV....everything is in it ....all support systems are already in it in it.....unless you are planning something different.

you say its going to be your daily driver in the city til retirement......for another 8 years I wouldnt be planning this far out.....good deals are a daily occurrence...and vehicle problems on new really begin at 7......

Lucky mike said:
judging from what you said your needs were.....an RV....everything is in it ....all support systems are already in it in it.....unless you are planning something different.

you say its going to be your daily driver in the city til retirement......for another 8 years I wouldnt be planning this far out.....good deals are a daily occurrence...and vehicle problems on new really begin at 7......

OK, I see what you're saying. Don't plan far just yet deal with the here and now. Probably best advice.

I would plan....and as you know plans change , needs change....early planning is a good thing ....saving for it would put you in a better position a year out from retirement when its time to implement it.....then find your deals and set things in motion.....your chances for loss are cut down and your chances for success greatly improve.....rather lose a good thought than lose a big chunk of change on a bad one!

If you are going to be doing daily driving, the smaller the better. Perhaps a conversion van. But you will have to think of the things you are used to now. Running water, shower, power, flush toilet... (rv)

If you are going to be staying in a house until retirement, put away so much a check, and look but do not buy until you are no more than one year from retirement.

I am 4 months out, and an converting my Ram Van into a portable living space. I have a way of getting free showers across the country, and will have power a fridge, and possible running water. The only thing holding me back is money. (and a bad back)

My journey to the perfect vehicle took an interesting path.

I'd originally started off two summers ago looking for a high top van. Never quite found the right one and then got tied up for awhile with the re-modeling and sale of my house.

After the house sold, I moved to another part of the state and continued my search for a van. I was having no luck and getting pretty frustrated, and then around the first of the year I saw a very nice Capri rodeo camper FS about 150 miles away. I'd always liked these, and this was the top-of-the-line model with sink, water heater, standup shower, AC, etc, so I went down to check it out and ended up buying it.

Cart before the horse? Well, in the used car market where I'm at there aren't many vans, but there are dozens and dozens of pickups. Cowboy country, everybody has a truck. I started looking for something to set the camper on, and within a couple weeks bought a very nice Dodge/Cummins diesel truck. Yep, it's a Dodge Ram, your internet handle namesake! VERY nice truck, and will haul a camper this size like it's not even there.

So my rig has turned out to be very different from what I'd originally envisioned, but to me, it's turned out to suit me much better than a van ever would have. I just didn't know it until I had it!

Anyway, my point is: keep an open, flexible mind as far as a vehicle goes. I think when you see it, you'll know if it's a good fit. I'm extremely pleased with how my search has panned out, even though it took some time and had some twists and turns. Good luck with yours! You'll get there eventually.

Mike

My personal preference would be a step van. The motorhomes have to many bells & whistles to go haywire years down the road. If you are handy & don't mind living without some bells & whistles build out a step van. You can customize it to your liking that way. Sounds like you have plenty of time to do it.

That said, either one of these options as a daily driver would drive you to the poor house buying fuel. You need a little car too. Sell it or tow it when the time comes. It will pay for itself, over an 8 year period, just in fuel savings.

Welcome to the board!

lessee...

I'm a stepvanaholic, so I nearly always suggest these for folks, but I may be a bit bias. :D

however, do you have any building experience?? If not, then a ready made RV may be the right choice for you.

What kind of budget do you have to work with?? Can you afford an extra vehicle right now??

also, seeing that you're not making the jump for another 7 odd years, then I'd just keep driving whatever it is that your driving for day to day use...but maybe consider getting yourself a van or small RV to start getting the feel of what it's like living on the road. Camping is a great way to getaway for the weekend (or more), and will show you what works and what doesn't for your needs.

Hello from Oregon!!

I'm a step van junky too, the conversion is half the joy for me. I should be able to run Thirsty as long as I can drive if I keep up with the maintenance. Parts are plentiful and reasonable for the 70-90's, and they are relatively simple to work on. Admittedly, there are few bells and whistles, which I prefer to add as I choose anyway. Sometimes it is difficult to find one that is not too big and in good shape, but they are around.
Whatever and whenever you decide on- Happy Trails!

Greetings!

While step vans and RV's are great (I've had both...), there is a huge problem with them in some areas. In some area's you can't park either one on the street without getting them ticketed and/or towed. In some area's they can't even be parked on private property, only in RV Parks. Some RV parks will turn away converted step vans as well.

Because of these unjust problems and the fact that I travel all over the country, I currently have a high top 15 passenger Dodge Van. Legal to park most anywhere, and it gives me about 6' x 12' of living area.

Personally, I like to put together my own interiors, so I can utilize the space my way, but wrecked or cheap tent trailers, camper vans, and pickup campers can provide cheap ready made kitchens and bathrooms. Some areas even have RV wrecking yards.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

Greetings!

Looks like I forgot to mention my own personal preferences, for what they're worth...

I don't really care for ready made camper type interiors. I prefer to re-purpose other household furniture to my own uses.

My current kitchen/work area consists of a solid countertop kitchen base cabinet which is 40" long with drawers and cupboards underneath. I can use this counter top for my cook stove, my sink, or to work on whatever else I choose, so it is multi-purpose. Additionally that gives me the option of using these outside if I choose to do so without the need to have two of them if one set is permanently mounted.

I also have a house style night stand beside my bed which has one drawer with a cupboard below that.

I paid $10 for my kitchen at a garage sale, and $5 for the night stand at a thrift store. I got my futon single over double metal frame bunk bed and my handicap toilet for free off Craigslist.

My point here is that with a little ingenuity, and for VERY little money, you can build your own comfortable living space to suit your own personal needs better than pre-made rigs are designed.

I used no tools and no carpentry or anything building my van, and as far as comfort goes, I wouldn't trade it for a brand new fancy one.

All told, I'm guessing I might have spent a total of $500 for my complete, self contained, van interior which includes fridge, stove, sink, toilet w/shower, beds for 3, complete heating and cooling systems, generator, and my swivel rocker/recliner.

Add that to the $750 that I paid for my van, and that makes for a pretty economical home that I've lived in for the past 12 years.

Money doesn't have to be an issue to hold you back. I could have walked in and paid cash for a brand new rig, in fact I looked at a LOT of them, but after all was said and done, I decided that doing it the way I've always done it meant a more comfortable life for me. Just try getting a rocker/recliner into a ready made camper van... You can't without a total remodeling job. And I refuse to give up my La-Z-Boy!

Hope this helps someone...

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

RVs are generally junk (Airstream and Alaskans are the only exceptions) and have the resale to prove it. Stay with the step van idea. You will make it your own.

I 2nd this remark!

spd2918 said:
RVs are generally junk (Airstream and Alaskans are the only exceptions) and have the resale to prove it. Stay with the step van idea. You will make it your own.

spd2918 said:

That reminds me. I need to buy the winning lottery ticket. I would LOVE to get a diesel Airstream. :heart:

GotSmart said:
So in a 6X12, you have 3 beds, a toilet, shower, sink, stove, fridge, nightstand, counter cabinet, generator, and a full size recliner without using any carpentry skills, and have been living in it for 12 years?

Pictures PLEASE!

Greetings GotSmart!

That is correct. I've had this van for 12 years now, but I've been a Mobile Homesteader since 1962 when I bought my first VW Van, and moved into it to be closer to both school and work.

I would love to send you pictures, but alas, I don't have a camera, so I will attempt to draw you a picture with words...

First, it is a 1982 Dodge 15 passenger window van, with a high top. No extra insulation or anything, it had just had the seats removed when I purchased it. The windows are also non-tinted. The vehicle remains totally stock, I have not drilled a single hole in her. If I moved out today and took my belongings with me, it would be in the identical state that I purchased it in. My personal "Leave No Trace" philosophy extends to my vehicles as well.

Okay, so we'll start behind the drivers seat... First is the plastic battery box which houses one deep cycle RV battery, with four cigarette lighter outlets mounted into the box facing the aisle way. Behind that is my kitchen counter with drawers and cupboards. Next is my handicap style toilet sitting in a metal oil drain pan as a catch basin for my shower. Attached to the legs of the toilet are 2 pvc pipes which go up to support a hula hoop which is my shower/privacy curtain rod. This hula hoop is hung from these pipes via a hook, so when not in use it can be lowered to rest on the toilet so I have an unobstructed 360 degree view.

Behind my bathroom is my kerosene powered fridge, scavenged from an abandoned boat in the middle of the desert. It is an under the counter size fridge/freezer in a beautiful teak cabinet. If I decide to watch TV or movies, I will set it up on top of this, and either aim it towards my recliner or towards the bed.

Across the back is a futon style bunk bed with a metal frame, it is one of those with a twin bed above a double bed, and the double bed can be folded into a sofa. I had to shorten it about 6 inches to make it fit width wise, and I raised it about 6 inches so that the main bed is at the same height as the side windows. This gives me just enough room that at 5'8" I can stretch out flat including my pillow. After raising it, I then added another full size foam mattress on the floor to make bed #3. There is just enough room on the very bottom bed that I can sit upright comfortably.

Heading back towards the front, now on the passenger side, is my night stand with a single drawer over a cupboard. Next is my 2x 7 gallon water containers, followed by the double side doors. Directly inside the side doors, taking up both the passenger side and part of the center aisle is my swivel rocker recliner, which gives me just barely enough room to swivel it completely around to any direction and still have foot room.

Directly behind the passenger seat are my 2x 7 gallon kerosene jugs which hold a tv tray up against the back of the passenger seat. This tv tray is both my dining table and my desk/laptop stand. The front passenger seat can be swiveled to face the back, and the tv tray placed between my recliner and the front seat to accommodate dining for two should I have company.

Half way between my recliner and the bed resides my 23k btu round kerosene heater in the center aisle. My kerosene cookstove stores on the floor just inside the rear most passenger side door, just in front of my water jugs.

The top bunk bed is used mainly for storage, and also the back half of both bottom beds. It is very rare that I convert it into a sofa, since I am usually living alone.

My home made 12v generator, my air conditioner/self contained swamp cooler, fire coils, tools, etc. reside on the back half of the bottom most bed just inside the rear doors.

Above my kitchen counter, attached via metal conduit to it, is a matching upper unit kitchen cupboard. Above the drivers and passenger seats is another matching upper kitchen cabinet running almost the width of the van, also supported by metal conduit and held in place to keep if from falling backwards by a tension shower rod which can also double as a curtain rod if need be.

I have blackout curtains for all of the windows, but hardly ever use them. When I do use them, I simply use suction cup hooks attached to the windows to hang them by.

My 12v marine air conditioner was salvaged from the same boat that my cookstove and fridge came out of, then I modified it and improved upon it for my use. At 120f outside I can keep my interior between 70-72f for about 2 days on the house battery between charges, while still using my laptop etc. Normally I can get almost a week between charges. (this is if I'm not driving during that time...)

One of my two water jugs is painted black for solar hot water, if I am parked in the sun, in the winter, I can place it either on top of my nightstand or my fridge, inside. If I'm parked in the shade, I can take it outside to place it into the sun. Failing that or at night, I can either heat water on the stove in a tea kettle or use one of my fire coils to heat all of the water in the one jug if needed. The Fire Coils can be used either with my stove, with my kerosene heater, or even in a campfire. Although I have been lugging it around for years, and never used it, I do still have the kerosene fired water heater that I salvaged from that same boat years ago. But 99% of the time I just use either solar hot water or a tea kettle.

While I have devised a presurized water system by pumping air into the water containers, and having a hand held hose and showerhead with an on/off valve on it, I rarely ever use it. Normally I have 3 el cheapo spray bottles that I use for everything including my showers. One is clear cold water, one is clear hot water (also heated via sitting it in the sun), and one either hot or cold bottle with a little dish soap added.

I typically only use the kerosene heater or AC in EXTREME conditions. My usual form of heat consists of a clay flower pot on one of the kerosene cookstove burners set to an almost non existant flame. While my heater is either on or off, the stove allows for total flame adjustment.

Then to complete my total personal comfort goal, I have two 12v electric blankets which each have thermostats, and are available on Amazon or at truck stops. One for my bed, and one to snuggle in my recliner. I don't like disturbing my bed by stealing it's blankets... I always want my bed ready to crawl into without any extra prep work. For the hot weather, I have two cooling blankets, one queen sized for my bed, and one twin sized for use in my recliner. These are also available via Amazon or at truck stops. They require no power, and while I may not know how they work, BOY DO THEY WORK!!! The one I use on my bed, I use in sleeping bag style, wrapped around so you have one layer over you and one layer under you. Believe it or not, one HOT, HUMID, BREEZELESS night, 95f+, I woke up shivering, and needed to toss if off to warm myself up! I wound up with one of the worst summertime colds I've ever had. I quickly learned to dress warmer when using it. I think I paid about $60 for the pair at a truck stop near Albuquerque, NM.

My apologies for the long message everybody, but I wanted to demonstrate to everyone how you can not only survive, but THRIVE and be totally COMFORTABLE in a very low cost, low budget, camper van, and how you can do it nearly without the use of any tools.

If anyone needs better descriptions, explanations, or help with anything, please respond and I will be more than happy to help in any way I can.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man