Maine gun control laws have changed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good news. If that had been the case over the summer I would have carried mine with me, as I have a permit for NH and VT does not require one.

Personally,I like the women's protest at the University of Texas More."Cocks Not Glocks"

Yeah, well if you open carry around the old port in portland, LEO will give you a hard time...

Saw on the news where a woman with a ccw permit opened fire on a fleeing shoplifter in a Home Depot parking lot.Guess she will get a little vacation at the Graybar hotel.Prosecutor says he will prosecute.

An important part of our CCW course here is to learn when to NOT use one's weapon.  She failed in that regard.  Somtimes stupid can hurt.

Many people leave their homes every morning armed with nothing more than their intellect and their wit, for some that could prove to be disastrous.

Bob Dickerson said:
Saw on the news where a woman with a ccw permit opened fire on a fleeing shoplifter in a Home Depot parking lot.Guess she will get a little vacation at the Graybar hotel.Prosecutor says he will prosecute.

Ya know what makes me nuts about this? The fact that she had a CCW, HTF did she get that and then do such a stupid thing that absolutely was made crystal clear during her time qualifying for the permit. 

"They are among us" :(

MikeRuth said:
Ya know what makes me nuts about this? The fact that she had a CCW, HTF did she get that and then do such a stupid thing that absolutely was made crystal clear during her time qualifying for the permit. 

What makes you presume that she had any training?  When I got my permit - way back when - it was "suggested", but not required, that I take a handgun safety course.

Even today, as I look into various non-resident permits, some of them require the NRA handgun safety course, some don't.  A lot of them expect you to read some pamphlet on their state's self defense laws, but they really don't have any way to verify that you did.

Let's face it.  Training requirements are all over the board in this country.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
What makes you presume that she had any training?  When I got my permit - way back when - it was "suggested", but not required, that I take a handgun safety course.

Let's face it.  Training requirements are all over the board in this country.

Regards
John

A handgun safety course would not cover the legalities of shooting someone fleeing.  It would address the proper way to handle a firearm.  The handgun course for the permit should cover the legalities of firing your handgun.  This is part of the Texas permitting process.  Fire only in self defense or the defense of others when life is threatened. Expect a big lawyer bill even if proved right though.

I wish I could carry a cop around so he would be there when needed; but they are so darned heavy :p

For CCW permit in Arizona, AZ has a class for handgun safety and, if you have a good instructor, they cover the legalities and other aspects of concealed carry and proper use.

in Virginia a 'private citizen' and a 'LEO' share the same responsibility if they ever have to discharge a firearm. When I first got my permit in 1988, our safety class was 4 days, with days 3 and 4 being aided by the addition of a Deputy Sheriff who explained the legalities and liabilities faced by anyone who might need to fire their weapon. Day 4 was at the range where the Deputy passed along more legal info as well as practical info while we expended as much practice ammo as time would allow. Shooting at a range is just plain fun! ...even in a learning environment.  :cool:

B and C said:
A handgun safety course would not cover the legalities of shooting someone fleeing.  It would address the proper way to handle a firearm. 

Yes, I understood that. My point was that not every jurisdiction REQUIRES a course on the legalities.  Thus, we have no way of knowing if she even HAD any training on the legalities.

Regards
John

Latest posts