Magnetic knife bar?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJRW

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a strong magnetic knife bar (under $20)? I just sent one back to Amazon because it was way too weak. I could tell, first pothole and everything would be on the floor.
Thanks.

MJRW said:
Any recommendations on a strong magnetic knife bar (under $20)? I just sent one back to Amazon because it was way too weak. I could tell, first pothole and everything would be on the floor.
Thanks.
MJRW, could it be that the items you tried might have a little SS in the composition?  Just wondering...

neodynium magnets embedded into a nice strip of wood?

Those magnets are super strong..less than 5 bux for 10 at harbor freight. Double that price at home depot but the HD ones are twice as thick and twice as strong.

Attachments

• CE1E54AE-2D60-44C2-AB96-CAC91A842F6A.jpeg
    CE1E54AE-2D60-44C2-AB96-CAC91A842F6A.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 3
I just use the Neodymium magnets. but I have a trailer I would never do that in a van where in an accident the knifes could become airborne. highdesertranger

desert_sailing said:
neodynium magnets embedded into a nice strip of wood?

Those magnets are super strong..less than 5 bux for 10 at harbor freight. Double that price at home depot but the HD ones are twice as thick and twice as strong.
:thumbsup:  Sound good!

after buying stack upon stack of neo magnets I used fabric patching material and ironed my magnets onto my curtains.. (no can sew).

It worked great til I discovered that heat destroys the neodynium magnets. :(

I don't recall the temp at which that occurs.. but I saw warnings against using hot glue as that could damage them as well...

Just in case you were going to attach them in that manner... I used a ton of gorilla glue to put them to the curtains.

I keep my knives in hard plastic sleeves in a shoe box sized Sterilte container. Not as handy as hanging them on the wall, but it works for me.

A friend cut slots in his counter top, like in a knife block.

highdesertranger said:
I just use the Neodymium magnets.  but I have a trailer I would never do that in a van where in an accident the knifes could become airborne.  highdesertranger

We hang the cutting board across the knives when we travel, it has handles and I put up hooks.

The Harbor Freight magnet bar works well. Several years of use and never had anyrhing fall off while driving.

Agree - I have several of them mounted in my trailer and they hold very well. I’ve even left a pistol on one while in transit with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ikea sells very strong and good looking magnet bats.  I have a couple of them i have been using for quite a few years. Ehen I get the work finised in my travel trailer the will be installed in it.