Macrame anyone?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
So from what I recently seen in the world of craft and interior decorating either Macrame is actually taking one of those media revival trends that is just hype or else more people are actually taking it up as a hobby.

Being of the age of Aquarius I did try my hand at it in the early 70's but it did not become a hobby. Of course now there are a number of generations who did not live through the pre-disco '70s but seem to be vicariously enjoying that era.

Now it really did not get started in the 70's that too was just a revival. In the Victorian era it also had a big revival. Then in the 17th century at the English court of Queen Mary II it had its spin as the hip new craft to play with. It is pretty ancient all the way back to when people started tying things together and like to make it look interesting which as we know included early cave dwellers and the early Celts, Egyptians, Moors, etc.

Of course it was not just for women, sailors were very skilled at making objects with knotted rope and many of them did macrame while at sea. They had a variety of things they made, many of them for household use, others were things such as belts, baskets, mats, fobs, etc. When they got into a port they would then sell them for extra income.

If you like making fiber objects or making knots it would seem like an easy fit for a van dweller to enjoy the craft and even turn the hobby into a bit of a cash flow now that it is popular again.

There is an old Victorian era book with illustrations that can be downloaded for free from archive.org. It was the book that many persons used to learn from and was later reprinted in the '70s.  But free is good when you want to try a new craft without a lot of investment of funds. Here is the link to the book from the archive.org website  Slyvia's Book of Macrame lace

So do you want a hanging fruit basket, or a lidded basket, an intricate wall hanging or window curtain? Or perhaps a new belt, guitar strap or dog colar? Or what about a necklace and earings set made with what is called "micro macrame". They used to create designs inside of metal hoops or hoops made out of thin branches, Victorian dream catchers :)

Thanks. I’m going to check that book. I enjoyed a bit I macrame back in the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do several types of crafts and recently started learning a bit of macrame. Although I was much too young in the 70s to remember it, my mother tells me she seen thousands of owls.
I am currently attempting a hammock of sorts for my cats, complete with a pillow so they don't fall through.

tree of life.jpgA lady van dweller I follow in the UK does macrame and sells it through her Etsy store.  I bought a piece from her for my first 'art' for my van.

But me and string are a bad combo, along with knots :)  It's pretty work, and I was around in the 70's when it was the big deal and everyone had those plant hangers with the wooden beads included in the design.

Attachments

• tree of life.jpg
    tree of life.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
if you are traveling with a caravan it might be a fun to do some simple projects such as fobs as a group sharing skills activity. The cost for materials is pretty low. Could work nicely for one of the USB devices that has a hole in the end for putting them on a keychain or lanyard. In fact lanyards are also a good potential project to do in macrame.

Good for people who like to relax while keeping their hands busy but don't want to dive into big projects that take a long time to finish.

Strings and knots are always fun..... There are so many things to make. My mom really got into it in the 70's. There was rope and string EVERYWHERE. I like to make small things now and then.

We used to make and sell or give away the hanging planters in order to get a spot in the farmer's market in Little Rock Arkansas during the summer of 1973. We would bring a big ice chest full of cold drinks that the girls would offer to all the other farmers that had stands and at the end of the day any produce they hadn't sold that would soon ruin they would offer to us to can. We didn't sell many planters but sure did eat well all winter long!