LowPro Generator Lock

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit

Reaction score
This is a link to a generator-locking gadget called the LowPro--

http://lowprolockdown.com/

I've been considering buying one for several years due to the numerous positive reviews and videos I've seen. But... All of these reviews seem to have been written/filmed by people immediately after buying and installing them. They say things like "This looks like a great idea!" What I'd really like to see instead are testimonials from people who've owned them for years, and say something more like "I'm a van expediter and have parked for thousands of nights in high-crime truck stops, often with my generator running overnight right in front of everyone, and have never had a single problem while using one of these."

LowPros cost $200, roughly, and that's about as much as a cheap generator costs outright. Before I spend that kind of money... Has anyone had any real-world experience with them? Does anyone know of cases where the generator has been stolen regardless? No lockdown is or can be perfect-- I know that. Still, I'd like to get a feel for how effective this device actually is. Or... Does anyone know of a good cheaper alternative? Thanks!

It looks like a well intended product, well constructed product and could hold up pretty well.

One thing I notice right off the bat that if you really wanted to secure your Generator...You want to have a lock smith swap out that Master Lock core with a higher quality anti pick lock core. Preferably one recommended by the Lock Picking Lawyer or Bosnia Bill youtubers.

The Master Lock stuff is one of the easiest locks to pick that is commonly sold. Scarily Easy!

But I have no experience with the item.

If you didnt need to move the generator you could just bolt it from the bottom to where ever you wanted to store it.

More involved after seeing the product you could have a local fabricator cut you a piece of heavy gauge steel to your dimensions similar to the product and leave enough on the ends to run your lock of choice. paint it yourself same idea with out the fancy lock and price tag. Might run you all in half the price. Depends on how good you are at DIY though.

I have no need to secure my generator when on the move as it’s stored inside a compartment. I use a cable when I drag it outside when in use.

With the generator exposed like that even if a thief did not manage to remove it they will be tempted to try and could cause significant damage to it including perhaps, spite damage, because they could not get it off the base.

It would be best if it was also inside of a housing. Twice the effort required to steal it and less visible than a bright red generator. But of course anyone who walks up looking for stuff to steal will be curious as to what is inside the housing. So be sure that no electrical cables are visible and that from underneath it is not apparent what is inside that housing. Best they think it is a storage bin for hoses and other stinky stuff.

Thank you all very, very much! I'm going to have to give this more thought, I think. It's much appreciated.

I've always been told that even the best locks only stop "honest thieves". Where there is a will there is a way. I've read stories of civilians stealing things like a jeep engine from a military base and floating it away on a raft. If they want it bad enough theyll get it.

I'd agree a cage of sorts would be better. And as mentioned damaging out of spite would be a concern of mine. Imagine some dope fiend is CERTAIN they can get some crack for your genset and then they cant steal it theyd possibly be inclined to cut and break every exposed piece of it. Maybe even siphon the fuel and replace it with piss.

I have learned in this life. Ppl are A** H****!

They do make generator boxes for the Honda eu2000i series. The generator can be run inside the box without removing it. You can also secure the generator to the box and the box to a support structure. The guy who welded my trailer frame is going to weld a platform on the tongue to make that possible. But I have a eu1000i so I will have to fabricate my own box. I do not have a window that opens on the front wall of my trailer so no issue with fumes. I will put vibration isolating material under the generator. But I won't be running it for long hours when I am inside so it is not a big deal if it does vibrate a bit. Besides that I am used to working in very noisy factory areas that sometimes vibrate.

In post #7 I forgot to add that my anti-theft scheme is to store the generator inside the van.

It's a propane model so no gas fumes to worry about.

I own an eu2200 with a propane conversion added on. This conversion works magnificently, but is probably physically large enough to prevent the generator from fitting into a standard-sized generator box. I like this generator very much so far, especially the conversion. I'm going to need to leave it running outside at high-crime truck stops while I sleep. In the absence of the "I've used this device for years without a problem" testimonial I was hoping for, I guess it's time to rethink the matter all the way back to zero. I don't think I trust cables on a plastic-handled generator. It'd be too easy to just cut the handle off.

Thanks again!

Rabbit said:
I'm going to need to leave it running outside at high-crime truck stops while I sleep.

What are you powering at night?   I'm guessing A/C that can't be run off battery power?

If you're often in high-crime areas what may be needed is a combination of devices. The LowPro plus a cable and also a proximity light directly above the generator.

Can't blame you. I'd hate to lose a $1000+ genny.

Actually as most cyclists will tell you, it's easier to cut the cable. With the right tool a cable can be cut in literally less than a second. That tool is a cable cutter and you can buy them for less than $30.

Most of your bike owners will tell you...if they want it they are going to take it.

Even the best bicycle locks can be cut through and removed in about 90 seconds with a cordless grinder with a cutting wheel in it. Less than $100 dollars for the grinder setup and it can be bought at any big box home improvement store.

Also sadly in most instances people will just watch them steal whatever they are taking.

Just the sad truth about it!

It's not to say that locking stuff up doesn't work. But if you have a determined thief or a professional one it's not going to stop them. There are literally youtube videos showing how to defeat almost any lock out there by picking, bypassing or destruction. But even for them if yours is locked up and someone else's isn't they are going to go after the low hanging fruit.

pure_mahem said:
Even the best bicycle locks can be cut through and removed in about 90 seconds with a cordless grinder with a cutting wheel in it.

Yes and if you're tired enough to actually sleep at a typical truck stop with a generator running outside your rig, you're not gonna hear someone grinding away on your cable or chain.

I'm very grateful to everyone for all the replies. Thanks again!

Lock picks are very quiet to use, hardly make a whisper of a sound. Most anyone could sleep through that noise.

^
These days a large percentage of the thieves out there are tweakers. They would tend to have shaky hands and be in a big hurry so most would probably opt for a grinder.

slow2day said:
^
These days a large percentage of the thieves out there are tweakers. They would tend to have shaky hands and be in a big hurry so most would probably opt for a grinder.

Professional thieves might carry a cordless grinder...

But in most cases, most 'tweakers' ...if they even managed to acquire a cordless grinder somewhere, or stole it from the back of a pickup, will have pawned that tool for drug money. They just don't own or carry expensive tools for very long. They pawn them, or sell them at the nearest bar.

^
Probably true of their set of Acme Lock Pix also. Long gone.

Professional thieves?  In this booming economy?