low income

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a loophole in the system anywhere? Say you take out a loan for 5k on your vehicle. Could you then have 5k in the bank? That way you effectively have zero? If not then I'd def keep $1000 in cash around and $1000 in the bank so you can at least have some sort of cushion. Not very fair system though as you could own a 200k house outright and a brand new car but still be eligible when technically you're worth 225k. But if you don't own a house or car you're not allowed anything. That's government for you.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Is there a loophole in the system anywhere?  Say you take out a loan for 5k on your vehicle. Could you then have 5k in the bank? That way you effectively have zero? 

I wish. Doesn't work that way. :(

I apologize for getting this thread so off topic. The savings issue seemed relevant with regard to discussing budgets and what amount is doable to vandwell with.

I agree with everyone. Your monthly income is low (by Southern California standards)
Low but doable. Before anything you really need to put together a
Budget, so you know exactly how much you have to work with.

The way to save money without the Government cutting off your SSID, if you go over is. Take your money in hand as soon as it's on the card.
Having cash in hand is better than leaving it on a card. That can be tracked. Any money you don't use at the end of the month. put towards
savings. ( put in a safe place near you.... A cash box).

With SSI they track withdrawals and require an accounting of where the cash went, along with supporting documentation.

Every two years they do a review where they require all your bank statements (or verbal agreement to contact the bank directly for them) and especially look at any cash withdrawals, then require you to explain what the withdrawal was for and provide documentation to prove you did with it what you're telling them you did.

Furthermore, even when you provide a full accounting of everything, often times this is not placed correctly in your record. This means you end up needing to provide all the information multiple times. 6 weeks ago I received a letter that, as of next week, my income was being stopped completely--all because I bought a van in November 2014 with a loan from two friends. I had given them all the information multiple times, in fact the notes explaining it were right there on record in the paperwork they sent to me--and yet it was filed incorrectly, and when my review came up it was flagged, and my income was stopped. I had to contact my congressman to get it sorted out. Just like I had to two years ago, too. Different issue that time.

That's what happens with a single instance of withdrawing a bunch of cash. They know that once you withdraw it, they can't track it, so they force you to provide an accounting of where it all went.

It would be my life goal to beat them at their own game. One other suggestion. You can buy stuff at Home Depot on a debit card and get the receipt. You can return it with out a receipt cause they will have your debit card in the system. When returning stuff bought on a debit card they will give you cash back. You still have your original receipt so it looks like you purchased the items when they do their audit. Could buy a few things every month then return them and stock pile the cash. Paper towels, cleaning supplies, area rugs, wall mirrors, batteries, etc. They have lots of stuff that could be used in everyday life so it doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary. I'm guessing other stores can do the same kind of returns with out a receipt but I don't know of any off the top of my head

I have -- somewhat accidentally -- tried this a few times when the card I'd purchased an item with wasn't on me. So far every store I've done that at has a policy against cash refund when it was purchased by card. In those cases the best I could do was a gift card for the store with the refund balance on it.

Honestly I'd far rather make it my life goal to obtain independence from them than to beat them at their own game. I've concluded the difficulty of the former cannot be greater than the latter and would also be a more satisfying outcome by far.

gsfish said:
Welcome to the group!

As to your question you didn't give much in the way of information.

Do you already own a suitable vehicle?

Have you itemized your expenses for a month? That would be the first step.

Guy
I dont own anything yet...but have two grand set aside when i find a van
Im vegan so meat isnt a issue to keep cold
Am wanting to run solar  as wind when sitting
Am a artist  and photographer  for extra cash
Am 51 and been a wanderer my adult  life

I cant own anything movable over two grand..a van cant value over. Two grand...and i cant have over two grand in the bank if i have a van value of that...they watch everything i do...i am buying things for the van i get now in case money is too tight...will boondock...like solar...i have a solar cooker and lanturns ...

tericalvery64 said:
I cant own anything movable over two grand..a van cant value over. Two grand...and i cant have over two grand in the bank if i have a van value of that...they watch everything i do...i am buying things for the van i get now in case money is too tight...will boondock...like solar...i have a solar cooker and lanturns ...

A van can value over two grand, as long as it's your only vehicle. They don't look at the value of your first vehicle. If you have more than one, they consider the other a "resource" and the value of one of them is counted against you. But with just one, they record its value for their paperwork and thereafter are "blind" to its value. My current vehicle, after I swapped with someone, is valued at about $7500-$9000 (if setup value is included) and my SSI payments are not affected by it.

My advice would be to make sure you get something as mechanically sounds as possible. My first vehicle was a lemon and I poured several hundred into her every month in emergency repairs right up until I was stranded without any further options. Both maintenance and repairs cost money, even on a good vehicle that has few problems. I'm no expert but the cheaper ones tend to have issues that need fixing. Choose carefully and best of luck!

Edit: One more thing, if you purchase a vehicle outright with cash you've saved in secret, Social Security is going to require an explanation of how you were able to afford the vehicle. If you paid $2000 but also had money in the bank, then you've been over two grand and they'll have a problem with that.

GotSmart said:
I have spent the last 20 years traveling in, and meeting with the men of influence in those states.  There is a reason they are the cheapest places to live.  (Can you say, "HUMIDITY?")

Nice people, nasty survival conditions.

To say any more than that would break the rules of this forum.

Not to mention TORNADO ALLEY  :(

Bitty said:
Honestly I'd far rather make it my life goal to obtain independence from them than to beat them at their own game. I've concluded the difficulty of the former cannot be greater than the latter and would also be a more satisfying outcome by far.

I agree with this, if you are able to work and can find a better source of income by all means go for it.   But if you can't work for whatever reason than I have a real issue with the gov't treating people this way.  Attacking the lowest paid people in the country over a few dollars is insanity.  The amount of money they spend to keep track of this has to be more than it saves.  But those are conversations for another day and another forum.

Bitty said:
It isn't "$2000 in savings", it's $2000 total--the difference being that the most you can have by the end of the month is $1267 to avoid going over when the $733 comes in. Which means, in practice, $1000 savings is typically best case scenario.

SSI and SSDI have a lot of differences... :/

I hadn't thought of that, derp
And yes, SSI and SSDI are different, I was so glad when Mom went from one to the other
I think your goal of getting the heck off it is the best solution
I've been on and off various forms of assistance all my life, and off is definitely better

Every Road Leads Home said:
   I agree with this, if you are able to work and can find a better source of income by all means go for it.   But if you can't work for whatever reason than I have a real issue with the gov't treating people this way.  Attacking the lowest paid people in the country over a few dollars is insanity.  The amount of money they spend to keep track of this has to be more than it saves.  But those are conversations for another day and another forum.

Thanks so much for your concern, and upset on our behalf. It really is touching.

For me personally, I'm too ill to work a conventional job, just barely well enough to work a few odd jobs (within extremely selective parameters) if I cut out all social life and extracurricular activities and accept being utterly exhausted all the time. Even then, I currently have 4 regular gigs and it's still not nearly enough to support myself independently of SSI.

I've simply reached the point where I'd rather work myself to death than go crazy trying to squeeze into the box SSI forces upon me. Doesn't mean I'm well enough, just that I've realized there's no hope for me if I don't.

Lots of folks are in the same boat and we all deal with it differently. @tericalvery64 I'm really glad to hear you have some additional income on the side, that can make a big difference. Keep us updated, I'm rooting for you!!