Lost My Dad Over the Holidays

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanman2300

Reaction score
I've always thought that there is very little in our lives we can say we will always have except for our memories. There's no words good enough to explain what a wonderful person and father he was. I feel awful but I thank God I'll always have so many great memories of him.

You have my deepest sympathy. I lost my father in 1981 when he was only 56 years old, but still he is with me in spirit and his teachings guide me with my choices. How I miss being able to just pick up the phone and hear his voice though. Again, my deepest sympathy.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, it is a tough thing to get though.

My condolences, I lost my dad 32 years ago at 18 and I still hear his voice in my head sometimes, giving me good advice he gave me many times during his life
The older I get, the smarter he was

I'm very sorry for your loss and send you my deepest sympathy. I lost my dad 8 years ago when I was 28 and he was 58. I had lost my Grandfather 4 years before and saw a piece of my Dad die when his Dad passed.. I now truly understand what he went through as I feel a piece of me died with him. In fact his passing is what prompted me to start traveling out of a van. He always encouraged me to do some traveling before settling down as he had done 30 years prior. It just so happened I had inherited his van and decided to finally take his advice. Threw my mattress in the back and hit the road a few days after his funeral.

My condolences. I lost of my folks last year just 8 months apart.

I'm so so4y for your loss. I hope your memories will bring you solace

Sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to you, family and friends.

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Losing a parent is no easy thing to get thru, my prayers for Strength, Comfort and Peace will be said, as I know how hard it is to get thru this time.
Sharon

Sorry to hear of the loss of your father.

When you feel up to it, you might want to sit down sometimes and write down some stories that you remember.  Good memories with your dad. It would be a good exercise help get through it now, but maybe even more valuable later on.  You'll be able to reread them and remember some great times and good qualities that he had. After all, our memories won't always be what they are now.

Tom

I am sorry for your loss. It is especially hard this time of year. Somehow, Christmas will always be about him in your memory now. Light a candle against the dark.

I lost my Dad 3 months ago. I understand.

I guess what I take away from it all is certain memories are invaluable such as those of friends and family or experiences. It supports the idea that getting out there (as many of the people in this forum have) can be the wisest choice because you're free to do whatever you want to do rather then living someone else's idea of what life should be. Living every single day beats the hell out of living the usual two weeks a year that the company you work for allows you.

Vagabound said:
Sorry to hear of the loss of your father.

When you feel up to it, you might want to sit down sometimes and write down some stories that you remember.  Good memories with your dad. It would be a good exercise help get through it now, but maybe even more valuable later on.  You'll be able to reread them and remember some great times and good qualities that he had. After all, our memories won't always be what they are now.

Tom

Thanks Tom. There are a lot of funny stories about my father. He was extremely intelligent but also quirky too. A good example is whenever I was out of school sick he would drive me to school when I got better. We would sit in the car ad I would have to wait while he crafted a quick limerick to let my teacher know why I was out. The teacher would share the limerick with all the other teachers. So whenever I was out sick everyone would look forward to the limerick.

Sorry for you loss. Every once in a while I catch myself thinking"what would Daddy think or better yet what would Daddy do?)''' Daddy was one of those men that was good to have around. He could do anything. HoboJoe

As the old Gypsy saying says so well, you have to dig deep to bury your dad. Sure found that true when I lost my dad many years ago.

Sorry for your loss.

vanman2300 said:
I've always thought that there is very little in our lives we can say we will always have except for our memories. There's no words good enough to explain what a wonderful person and father he was. I feel awful but I thank God I'll always have so many great memories of him.

I'm so sorry. Please accept my deepest condolences...

VanGrrl57

Sorry for your loss, the pain will pass but the memories and flashbacks will be with you forever.

I find that the greatest impact of my parents passing is that through life I have watched the old folks die, grandparents, older uncles and aunts, etc. when your parents die you are forced to the precipice and you suddenly realize that YOU are next in line to depart! Happily, I'm the youngest sibling but still..........

Dave

Latest posts