Looking Forward!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawnking

Reaction score
I have been posting my build pix and getting a great education here on living on the road.
Thought it was time to post a little about me.  I am not real big on the whole online presence thing but here it is in a nutshell.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Having worked in the food service industry for over 40 years and am 57 years old, I have been seeking a way to retire on little savings. I have considered moving to one of the central american countries but i love the USA, especially the wide open west and do not want to leave.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Found this web site and love it. Have always loved travel and adventure. I have a good job right now and will continue to save and plan for the next few years and when i am ready it will be time to launch![/font]

Very nice introduction Dawnking.... is that your first and last name or are you an early riser?

I just viewed a video of a really neat wooden house built on the back of a large truck. The guy used shipbuilding techniques to keep it together when he rattles up and down backroads. He mentions a few times in the interview that he began saving materials for it five years before he built it. Mostly neat old wood pieces since, as mentioned, it is built like a space efficient boat. So you are giving your self plenty of time to learn and make decisions.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

With your background I'm sure you could find culinary jobs along the way from time to time once you begin
full timing.  If you would want to of course.  Those who can cook good food are welcome about anywhere.
But this forum will have you able and enlightened to pick the type of rig you would want to travel with. 

I was offered a job cooking on a River Boat here on the Ohio River awhile back but the Coal industry came to a
screeching halt.  Got my ServSafe, CPR/FirstAid, and everything necessary.   Dream was to cook 6 months a
year and travel and work-camp the other 6.   It may still happen and I'm getting rid of stuff now and plan to
sell when the opportunity comes.   I'm in a E 350 hightop extended Ford and am looking for a deal on a 6x10 or larger Cargo Van.  (detailed in my website below)  But that's how I've figured my path since being here.

As we were talking the other day,  the newcomers who are starting with nothing have a bit of an advantage
as they can use the rest of us as sounding boards for their ideas and have our experience to go on.  So,  enjoy
learning and all the best in deciding on how you want to roll.

WriterMs said:
Very nice introduction Dawnking.... is that your first and last name or are you an early riser?

I just viewed a video of a really neat wooden house built on the back of a large truck. The guy used shipbuilding techniques to keep it together when he rattles up and down backroads. He mentions a few times in the interview that he began saving materials for it five years before he built it. Mostly neat old wood pieces since, as mentioned, it is built like a space efficient boat.  So you are giving your self plenty of time to learn and make decisions.

I am using the Dawnking handle because I have always been an early riser and love sunrises and the promise of a new day!

Welcome to the CRVL forums DawnKing! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.