Looking for site recommendations Southern California

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satellite5812

Reaction score
Hello fellow rubber tramps! I'm wondering whether anyone's found any good boondocking in Southern California lately. I've been looking at the Anza Borrego area and the Otay Mountain Wilderness, but am finding conflicting information online about whether they're open or not. 

I'd also love to go to the coast, but going into a city seems like a bad idea right now, and the only spot I'm seeing on freecampsites.net is a rest stop. Anyone been in these areas since the closures? Found any good spots to social distance in?

For clarification, I'm currently near the Salton Sea. I need another spot to move to for a little bit, so I'm looking for someplace that's still in the general area where I can remain socially distanced. All suggestions welcome.

Are you at Dos Palmas? I think it’s open. Anza Borrego is closed. If you aren’t from California and don’t have to be here I’d go. One day beaches and trails open the next they close again. We are in strict lockdown now until the fall. I think it’s the worst in the country period and for sure for nomads.
Can’t figure out which BLM land is open.

Spaceman Spiff said:
If you are in California you are supposed to stay where you are (shelter in place).
If you are not currently in California you shouldn't go there.

https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs/
Thank you!
Great. That link has been updated to Sept 14th and says the same thing. Also, almost all the counties in California say covid is widespread. All the counties I want to go to. Both my grown kids live in CA and didn't tell me they are still "officially" in lockdown or shelter in place. I know they are. I am a senior with asthma. I take covid super SERIOUSLY.
If I get stopped driving into California from Arizona or from Nevada, what should I say to get in? I'm visiting my grandbaby or I'm moving back? or?
And, does anyone know why Santa Barbara and Ventura counties are at "widespread?" It would seem like those counties would have a much lower rate than San Fran or LA.

Edit: to answer “widespread” it’s because God help you if you aren’t wearing a mask around people in LA. A lot of states and counties are more lax but we’re not allowed anywhere without a mask. Except outside walking in parks. Sometimes police are called.

LA County is chock full of out of state cars from across the country. Nobody’s going to stop you. I mean they got here somehow. My friend bought property in Del Norte and has been going back and forth and sometimes crossing into Oregon with California plates and no problem there either. Sure we’ve been masked since March and only markets and outdoor seating restaurants are open but lots of people walk around outside without masks. And one more time, tons of people from out of state. I think some are ex-locals because I always check the license plate holders and sometimes they’re from California even though the plates are out of state. We usually have a lot of AZ plates but lately entire country.

Thanks Lerca! I am leaving Colorado in a week. I can't even find my homemade black curtains I had packed in my closet for 5 years! The top priority things you need when on the road are totally different than in a house.
I have so much stuff I accumulated!
Biggest priority is a daily shower! 24 hour fitness closed down in California. They are open in Colorado.
Snow starts here in a few weeks. I do not want to be here for the cold weather.