Looking for campsite (AZ,NM,CO) and to meet others!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greattrails

Reaction score
Greetings - first post on the forums. I'm traveling around the west from NC and currently in Flagstaff. Would enjoy meeting some other members of the tribe and also looking for camp site suggestions. The current fire restrictions are making it difficult. Was hoping for some elevation to be able to stay cool. Leadville area?  Thanks for any suggestions! Jeff

go to the "Newcomers corner" and give us an intro and we will give you an official welcome. highdesertranger

In Buena Vista, CO now.  Weather is beautiful.  Heading to Leadville today and will look for a place to settle in around Torquise Lake or nearby.  Met my first member of the tribe a few days ago in Durango. Kim who's from the Denver area.  Delightful to chat with.

Greattrails said:
In Buena Vista, CO now.  Weather is beautiful.  Heading to Leadville today and will look for a place to settle in around Torquise Lake or nearby.  Met my first member of the tribe a few days ago in Durango. Kim who's from the Denver area.  Delightful to chat with.

You're in our favorite place in CO. Have a great stay!

Have settled into the dispersed camping area Bob mentioned awhile back just outside Leadville, CO.  The Half Moon Creek area is just south of Turquoise Lake in the San Isabel National Forest. It's absolutely beautiful here - poderosa pines, aspens, creeks, lots of hiking and spectacular views of the snow capped mountains. It's been warm during the days and cool (30's-40's) at night.  

Access to this part of the forest is easy.  Campsites are not far off local paved roads and the forest roads don't require 4 wheel drive. The camping area is pretty heavily forested so there can be a lot of privacy between campers.  It's not very crowded now - surprising.

I'll probably be here until around July 8. There's a lot to explore nearby.  Leadville, Buena Vista, the maroon bells (sp?), Twin Lakes, Arkansas River rec area, etc.  If anyone needs help finding the area or just has questions, feel free to reach out.

Jeff

I plan to do a lot of dispersed camping in CO this summer, starting with the Traveler's Camp Fest on July 12. Looking for any music lovers, chill vibe, young at heart folks to camp with and maybe work our way out to the PNW a little later on.

I am currently in Prescott national Forest. Next week heading to CO for campfest. Never campeed. In CO. Looking forward to it.

[quote pid='390088' dateline='1530248430']
I plan to do a lot of dispersed camping in CO this summer, starting with the Traveler's Camp Fest on July 12. Looking for any music lovers, chill vibe, young at heart folks to camp with and maybe work our way out to the PNW a little later on.
[/quote]

I should be at the Camp Fest as well. I'd be happy to share what I've learned so far about dispersed camping in CO. PNW sounds like a great next destination.  I traveled a lot of the PNW coast quite a few years ago in a VW camper van.  Really enjoyed that part of the trip.

Jeff

[quote pid='390628' dateline='1530476160']
I am currently in Prescott national Forest. Next week heading to CO for campfest. Never campeed. In CO. Looking forward to it.
[/quote]

Sounds good. I haven't been to any kind of gathering before so looking forward to meeting others and sharing stories and plans.

I'm in the Pike National Forest near the cute little town of Woodland Park, Colorado. It was 78 degrees today, 9200' elevation. You or anyone are welcome to join me and my 2 pups. PM me.
- Lisa