Looking for a magnet recommendation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbuelaLoca

Reaction score
I've decided making my own screens for the windows/doors of the van is a good idea, but what magnets should I use? I want the strongest possible.

I found the no-see-um screen at SailRite.com for $2.95/yd and 3.95 shipping for priority first class, so I thought I'd be pretty silly not to do this myself!

SternWake said:
Careful with them:  

Like around credit cards and such?? I did find a 20 pack set that's not priced too bad. Would these hold the screens? I'm looking at making a big screen for the back doors while they're open, and two over the door screens for the front doors... What dangers are there with them?

20 Pack Neodymium Disc Magnets

Not so much the credit cards, but getting a piece of a finger in between two of them that were searching for each other. Blood blister city.

I use some rectangular 1 1/4" long by 1/4 inch square. If one sticks to a flat metal surface, I need pliers to get them off, and I work with my hands/ have a strong grip

Too strong for me, then!!! I cannot pinch my fingers together with any strength at all, and I will want to remove the screens at some point! LOL

AbuelaLoca said:
Too strong for me, then!!! I cannot pinch my fingers together with any strength at all, and I will want to remove the screens at some point! LOL

The thickness of the screen would help keep them from requiring pliers to remove.  Better too strong than too weak.  If way too strong, add another layer of screen around magnet. The added stiffness/strength along the edge with two layers of screen surrounding a magnet could be advantageous

Mine hold my doubled layered curtains to door window frames but are easy enough to remove.

SternWake said:
The thickness of the screen would help keep them from requiring pliers to remove.  Better too strong than too weak.  If way too strong, add another layer of screen around magnet. The added stiffness/strength along the edge with two layers of screen surrounding a magnet could be advantageous

Mine hold my doubled layered curtains to door window frames but are easy enough to remove.

Or maybe put a layer of duct tape on one side of the magnet if it it too hard to get off.  Experiment!