Looking for a comprehensive solar power resource guide

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 27148

Reaction score
I'm looking for a website, book, or other media that is a comprehensive resource for solar power setups. I can page through the threads here, but it would be nice if there was a resource set up somewhere. If one already exists, let me know... and yes, I have looked.

P.S. I've looked at a number of sites, most seem to be motivated by sales, which makes their information suspect as marketing material. That sets it apart from being fully trustworthy.

I'd highly recommend Will Prowse's site Mobile Solar for good advice and guides. There are really good breakdowns based on need.

The product recommendations are pretty well researched. They go through an affiliate link, which you can use or not.

Use the forum there for generally knowledgeable feedback.

I would add to the above......
Just keep in mind that solar power in the winter in northern latitudes may not give the results you need or expect.

Anything above Latitude 32N gets iffy imo between October and March or April.
Many people in Northern Latitudes find off-grid solar practically useless outside of the summer months.

I'm only mentioning this because many people don't fully understand this aspect of solar power before getting in deep.
You might....not saying that you don't. I don't know your level of knowledge and I fell into this trap myself.

Yes and even at the lower lattitudes in the southern US, solar production might be 1/4 to 1/2 of what it is in the summer.

If your panels can be tilted towards the sun most of the day, you might be able to harvest closer to (or above) that 1/2 level over the course of the shorter winter day.

Non-tilting panels (flat and level on a vehicle roof) will yield closer to 1/4th of what the panels are rated for.

GntlStone
Thank you, I will check it out.

Tom_M
Thank you, I will check it out.

PeterPiper
I was aware of the going north problem, although I'm not an expert on the subject by any stretch of the imagination.

tx2sturgis
I wonder how easy it would be to tilt on the truck without being complicated or ugly. I'm looking for comprehensive knowledge, although I'm just a van-lifer. Still, if I was to settle down in the woods somewhere someday, knowledge is good and often power.

Thank you, everyone!

Yes and even at the lower lattitudes in the southern US, solar production might be 1/4 to 1/2 of what it is in the summer.

Good point.

I recently ran the min/max numbers for my flat-mounted array at summer and winter snowbirding latitudes.
  • daily power requirement for my normal lifestyle is ~1.6kWh. I can back that down to 1.0kWh/day by cutting out some extravagances (laptop, crockpot, etc)
  • summer in Leadville, winter in Quartzsite
  • at summer solstice I use about ~62% of the system's capabilities to reach 1.6kWh. Easy peasy.
  • at winter solstice I use ~93% of the system's capabilities to reach 1.6kWh. Not a lot of wiggle room there, and cloudy days mean I may have to return to basics.

My current RV is a kia Sportage with a portable 100 watt solar panel. For now it is mounted in a rack under the roof-top carrier. I slide it out and set it up when I'm making camp. I don't use the carrier in the summer, so the panel will be fine flat on the roof. I added the carrier, which I already had, because I wanted to carry more stuff in the winter.

Then Omnicron came and storms wiped out most of the highways in BC, the places I usually camp in the winter got 2 feet of snow already and I'm having some health problems. I'm still thinking though. If I don't go for a larger vehicle, I think I'll put this carrier or something else on the back of the car so the panel can stay on the roof. I intend to fasten one edge to a pipe in 2 clamps so that I can swing it up and down. The other side will have some form of quick release so I can raise it to the desired angle and fasten it at the required angle.

If I park the car with the fixed side of the panel on the south side I should be able to maximize my power harvest during the shorter days and it will be easier to prevent snow build-up or remove it.

Here's some help calculating the angle.

http://www.solarpaneltilt.com/
MG

I second the recommendation of Will Prowse.
His youtube videos are the least spammy and most informative I've found. He also gets to the point. Unlike some channels where the speaker is just mumbling along aimlessly.

He does sometimes talk over your head, and he is a little bit too in love with the tech and crypto scene for my tastes. But he knows what he is talking about.

Will is killin it. I have followed him for years as he grew up and as he grew into his now full-fledged solar business. Very proud of him and his accomplishments. He is following his passion and making a fortune doing it. He is an authority in the solar business.

I’m Not Lost I’m RVing has a YouTube series that explains the basics as well as a bunch of info in their site. I found their info most helpful. https://www.imnotlostimrving.com/rv-solar/

I purchased a solar kit from Continuous Resources in Utah and installed it myself (with their approval) in their parking lot. It was great to be able to ask questions as I was installing- they also helped me with some troubleshooting and double checked everything before we turned it on.

Mainly,just realize you will never have enough to do all you want.