Looking for a alternative to ciggy plugs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobilesport

Reaction score
Ciggy plugs suck , to me they feel cheap like there going to break and a lot of times the connectors make a scraping sound when pushing in your connector while plugging in your device , anybody use something as a alternative? 
These ciggy plugs have always annoyed me and I would love to have 12 volt outlet plugs that work more like the ones in a house , smooth and plesent connections.

The ciggy receptacle is convenient as it takes little skill to mate plug into receptacle. One can also just back plug from receptacle a CM or so and just push it home when needed.

But they are junk.

I first went to 12v SAE connectors with 18 and 10awg leads, but found these would wear out quickly, and 10awg would also heat up greatly at just 25 amps.

I've gone to 45 amp anderson powerpoles, can stuff 8awg wire into them with some difficulty, and they will pass 40 amps at 12.5v all day long. Will get warm at those amperages, but nothing dangerous.

A ciggy plug is good for about 7 amps, when new and the receptacle is fed with 10awg. They can pass more, briefly, but the spring steel contacts will begine heating up and lose tension in the receptacle, causing more heating and more resistance and more heating until something gives.

The 45 amp anderson powerpoles take some crimping skill, or require the purchase of their special crimper. the 15 and 30 amp ones , a simple dimple crimper can be used.

The 15,30 and 45 amp powerpoles will all mate with each other, but the 75 amp and bigger all are their own separate size and mate only with receptacles of the same amp rating and size.

These are a little harder to connect than just shoving a ciggy plug into receptacle, but are significantly battery electrical connectors, and while I have kept my 7 ciggy receptacles, none of them are asked to pass more than 1 amp, All SAE 12v connectors I once employed widely, have been cut out and replaced with 45 amp powerpoles. Man i wasted a lot of time and money on those SAE connectors.

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors

Technically the 45's can only accept 10awg wiring. I do have to destrand 8awg right at the connector and thin the insulation to get 8awg to fit them. Achieving the 'click' when inserting the contact into the plastic housing can be a bit difficult too when using 8 awg, or even 10awg that has really fat insulation.

I've not bought their special crimper, but I am sure it would greatly speed up the process. I use 3 different crimpers to get it 'appearing' as it should, then a little dab of solder mostly for appearance and soldering practices' sake, but also in case the crimp appeared OK but was less than perfect.

Too much solder can ruin the contacts, so a light touch is required. They are not cheap so screwing up the contact crimps is painful, and easy to do with the improper tools for doing so.

I will likely purchase their~40$ special crimper at some point, but still add a drop of solder to cover the end of the stranding as that is how I roll.

http://www.powerlet.com/powerOutletInfo

They do make decent 12v outlets that are much more capable than cigarette lighter sockets. SAE is a very popular connector (battery tenders, weed sprayers, etc) and there are a lot of converter cables for SAE, but I haven't come across decent mounted "outlet plate" versions, though they may exist.

http://www.12volt.com.au/redirect.html?a=/General Htmls/webcat2003/plugs2.html
These guys have a few different styles to choose from as well

Wow , I've heard of Anderson connectors before but I didn't know they had so many different products. 
Thanks for posting

I used one of their connectors for a project using 2 awg cable. Quite the burly connector. It was passing well over a hundred alternator amps to a single depleted lifeline gpl-31XT ~14 feet away (one way circuit length).

Very satisfying click when mating them, and the connector did not heat up at all passing that much current.

http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-22...sbs_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1J8H2NJ0BYB8BASQRABX

20150614_134236_zpstsmbrxaj.jpg

here are some 12v SAE connectors next to anderson powerpole 30 amp connectors for a size reference.

Do note I do not have the PP contacts oriented correctly, in the photo, they will be round side to round side when connected inside connector, with the SS leaf spring in the plastic housing pressing them tightly together, not as shown.

001copy_zps17f77645.jpg

Powerpoles are NOT waterproof connectors like the SAE connectors claim to be.
I have used 'Amazing Goop' to seal the backside of the PP connectors where the wires enter the housing, filled the business end with dielectric grease then plug them together on those exposed to the elements.

The Anderson powerpoles are not perfect, but they, in my opinion, are the best option at this point, and I've committed to them. The only issues I've had with them are those earliest 45 amp acquisitions that I did not crimp properly in the first place.

There are many Youtube videos on their assembly, to get a better idea.

Another vote for the Anderson Powerpoles. I did purchase the crimp tool for about $35, and the connectors are about $1 per pair in quantity on ebay. Buy some extras, you will ruin a few contacts until you have practice. For the Renogy #10 wire with thick insulation, just strip some extra length. (The insulation does not fit in the connector.)

SternWake said:

I'd think it would be important to note when using these connectors, that the side shown on the right with the positive wire exposed should always be attached to the device and not the power source, so you don't have a live positive wire dangling around when not connected...

ViaVacavi said:
http://www.powerlet.com/powerOutletInfo

They do make decent 12v outlets that are much more capable than cigarette lighter sockets.  SAE is a very popular connector (battery tenders, weed sprayers, etc) and there are a lot of converter cables for SAE, but I haven't come across decent mounted "outlet plate" versions, though they may exist.

http://www.12volt.com.au/redirect.html?a=/General Htmls/webcat2003/plugs2.html
These guys have a few different styles to choose from as well

You can make homemade mountable outlet plates very easily as long as you have the connectors 
Buy plastic wall plates from home depot
Cut the right size hole 
Glue in the connectors using the Amazing Goop adhesive

TMG51,

The SAE 12v connectors with the exposed (+) could easily allow shorting out when in the presence of grounded metal.

The SAE connectors could also allow one to hook up a device reverse polarity as well, and I would apply red electrical tape on both (+) ends of any Sae connector to indicate which was always positive.

The Anderson Powerpoles, red is alway hot no matter which side, direction the cord is facing, whether (+) output or input.

One can orient the red and black powerpoles in many different ways. I am not sure the standard way if there is one. When assembling connectors I Keep a preassembled one nearby so I know how to orient the contacts when crimping so I do not have to twist a wire 180 degrees when mating the plastic housings, and so they all can be mated in my system easily, but there is a 25% chance or 50% chance they will mate with someone else's.

Those Powerlet connectors look pretty neat, though pricey, and there are bulkhead mounted sockets available on Amazon. I'm tempted to get a few, but money's a bit tight for now. I have a number of connectors on the way, slow boat from China, which I'm gonna be trying out.https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00H8KT67I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem to be rated for rather high amperage and it wouldn't be difficult to fashion a bulkhead connector from one. ..Willy.

Willy said:
Those Powerlet connectors look pretty neat, though pricey, and there are bulkhead mounted sockets available on Amazon. I'm tempted to get a few, but money's a bit tight for now. I have a number of connectors on the way, slow boat from China, which I'm gonna be trying out.https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00H8KT67I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem to be rated for rather high amperage and it wouldn't be difficult to fashion a bulkhead connector from one. ..Willy.

XT60 connectors work very well. Modelers use them pulling as high as 50 amps all the time. 

Deans Connectors work well too. These are knock off but work well to about 50 amps so long as you do a good job soldering them(same goes for the XT 60's) 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201358346425?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

And of course Anderson Power poles are top rated connectors. Nice thing about them is they are crimped on. Makes a good solid physical connection without soldering.