Looked at Mattresses at Wally World and Need Advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you get a foam mattress you can simply cut it to size. I trimmed 6" off the edge of mine using a utility knife.

Hi Reducto - cool name btw.

Okay, new question: where do I buy said foam mattress? is there something special to do with the sheets? Is there anything I should do to prevent mold? Would a cot work bettter? If so, are the cheap ones at WalMart okay?

Sorry to overload you, just trying to get it all sorted. Be well my friend. =D

Prisoner Of Knowledge said:
Hi Reducto - cool name btw.

Okay, new question: where do I buy said foam mattress? is there something special to do with the sheets? Is there anything I should do to prevent mold? Would a cot work bettter? If so, are the cheap ones at WalMart okay?

Sorry to overload you, just trying to get it all sorted. Be well my friend. =D

If you stick with standard sizes, sheets are no problem. Although a 32" wide bed would give me more room in my Dodge van, I chose 39" X 75" so I could use standard fitted sheets. I've had "bastard" sized beds before and I don't want to do that again.

BTW, cutting your 4" foam with a utility knife will probably end up giving you a ragged edge. It's best to order it professionally cut to the size you need.

My brother is a trucker and he said there are mattresses available for semis that are narrow and long, around 28" by 6'6", I think. Sheets and blankets are also available that size. I didn't have time to research right now but might be worth checking out.

I have the 3" MF topper from WM on a lumpy futon, it still needs the 2-4" of Firm support underneath.

A word about Foam Factory: they offer several different levels of firmness/quality and I found it hard to get what I needed. I ordered the firmer,higher quality 4" base because I'm heavier but it turned out to be hard as a rock! Then I bought a 3" MF gel topper from Walmart but for me it was still too hard. A 2" layer of super soft from FF was added but it was little more than air and I sunk right down to the hard stuff. I finally found decent comfort by adding a 1" self-inflating camping pad under the super soft top layer. I'm a side sleeper and I think that made it more difficult.YMMV

Interesting topic and in my case I'm looking to make my bed only 24" wide.

I've been looking around at both Air and foam types but nothing seems to be pre made in that width.

Any ideas?

The big advantage of foam is you can just cut it to size. For example you could get a 2 inch pad, that's 48 inches wide, cut it in half and stack it on top of each other and have a 4 inch thick by 24 inch wide bed.

It shouldn't slide but if it does put some glue inbetween and it won't.

Another option is finding an upholstery shop and get some furniture grade foam and they will cut it to the exact size you ask for.
Bob

here is my observation on air mattress. I have used them before. my biggest problem with them was the big temperature swings in the western deserts. it can be in the 80's during the day and drop to the 20's at night. this will deflate your mattress during the night. so I was always playing with it, air up, air down. it was a pain in the..... well you know where. so I got a foam mattress and it works great all of the time. highdesertranger

I have a Walmart Spa Sensations that I am putting in my van. For the money it is a good mattress. I have the 8 inch one. It is memory foam on the top layers. If you look through the Walmart reviews some say it is too firm. Don't know where they get that from mine is very soft.

Although it is a good mattress as far as I am concerned nothing beats latex. Especially talalay latex. I just can't afford one to put in my van right now.
A SEEKER

I spent three and a half years on board ship in the Navy sleeping on a mattress like that! Our beds were called "racks". Picture a steel box, 6' by 24" by 24", open in the front. We felt like just another piece of equipment stored on a shelf. But it was 'home' for those years. I slept pretty well on that thin mattress pad.

I second the long serrated bread knife. I got one at a thrift store for $1 and it works great for cuting all kinds of styrofoam or even foam for a mattress.
Bob

I'll triple the bread knife. I just added the Costco 3" memory foam/gel topper to our van' s bed. The bread knife made short work of lopping off the excess. Got mine from the kitchen. Don't tell my wife.