Looked at Mattresses at Wally World and Need Advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanman2300

Reaction score
OK so I'm looking at mattresses for the first time and need opinions to guide my choice. I will be in a cold environment at times that typically reach down to the teens so warmth is important. I'd also like the mattress to make up for an uneven surface so I don't feel things like edges or small bumps underneath. If the mattress could be rolled up after use that would also be a plus although not entirely necessary. And if there are other concerns I should be aware of please feel free to include your thoughts on that too.

Here's what I found at Wally World:

1. The most expensive $100+ was a three inch thick very high density foam very much like orthopedic memory foam. It also had a covering to increase airflow.
2. Much less expensive $25+ mattresses that had half the density of #1 above but that would support my weight although I might have to buy 2 of them. This mattress comes with no covering...just the foam.

It probably comes down to what you prefer. Some people can sleep on a piece of plywood with no problem, others like 20" of foam. I personally have the following; plywood base, one layer of foam board, the type used on floors, 4" inch foam mattress with 2" base layer and 2" top, and a 3" tempurpedic mattress topper. Very comfortable.

Last winter in Colorado my memory foam mattress froze solid as a brick in 20 degree weather. I had no idea it would do that. If I was going to a cold environment I'd look for a different bed material. My .02 cents, your mileage may vary. :-/

gypsycowboy said:
Last winter in Colorado my memory foam mattress froze solid as a brick in 20 degree weather. I had no idea it would do that. If I was going to a cold environment I'd look for a different bed material. My .02 cents, your mileage may vary. :-/

Wow! Never considered that the foam could freeze solid like that at 20 degrees. What type of material did you go to in order to solve that problem?

I splurged on a $300 Ikea mattress that has 4" of dense latex foam and 2" of memory foam on top of that. They had a cheaper, thinner one but I tried it out in the store and it was very uncomfortable. It's easy to fold in half and provides a nice flat surface despite being on top of slats. 25 degrees is about the coldest I've slept in and it was nice and warm.

The 3" foam might not provide enough cushioning, but then again WM's return policy is lax enough that you might be able to take it home and try it out for a night or two. I definitely wouldn't go with just the low density one - you'll find that you can feel the floor through it.

A lot depends on your weight. If you're still in an apartment,etc. you should try whatever mattress on the floor. WM is good about exchanges although repackaging a foam mattress is a bit tough.

If you have the space, a regular innerspring mattress could work best. I have several layers of foam plus a self-inflating camping pad in my van now that isn't quite comfy enough for my bad back. A Murphy-type bed with a regular twin mattress that will swing up and out of the way lengthwise behind the driver's seat is what I will try next.

vanman2300 said:
Wow! Never considered that the foam could freeze solid like that at 20 degrees. What type of material did you go to in order to solve that problem?

I took the topper off and slept on the dense foam mattress below that. In the future I'm just going to avoid places that cold. :D

vanman2300 said:

That's a specific problem of memory foam. Doesn't happen with regular foam.

Most people don't realize that memory foam mattresses aren't solid memory foam all the way through - rather, they are all 3 or 4 inches of memory foam laminated to a 6 inch or so base of regular foam.

Theoretically, you might be able to flip a mattress like that over and sleep on top of the base foam when it gets cold. Not positive about that, haven't had to try it personally.

Regards
John

vanman2300 said:

That's a specific problem of memory foam. Doesn't happen with regular foam.

Most people don't realize that memory foam mattresses aren't solid memory foam all the way through - rather, they are all 3 or 4 inches of memory foam laminated to a 6 inch or so base of regular foam.

Theoretically, you might be able to flip a mattress like that over and sleep on top of the base foam when it gets cold. Not positive about that, haven't had to try it personally.

Regards
John

At home I have a very nice 12" or 14" inch tempurpedic mattress that I slept on last winter, with no heat in the house, some nights went well below minus 15 and yes, the mattress was a little frozen, but after a few minutes and it was very comfortable.

gypsycowboy said:
I took the topper off and slept on the dense foam mattress below that. In the future I'm just going to avoid places that cold. :D

Or you could have just flipped the mattress. :D

My philosophy is to never cheap out on a mattress. Expensive mattresses aren't always worth the cost, but cheap mattresses are never worth the savings.

I bought that mattress from Walmart--very poor!! It's now in the trash.

I found a 3 inch memory foam at Costco that cost $130 and it is outstanding! Highly recommended!

If you can find an upholsterer in your town they sell furniture grade foam cut to any size and it your best choice. Insist it is the highest quality furniture grade, nothing else will do. 4 inches will be great. It used to be cheap but because its a petroleum product it has been going up in price big time.

The memory foam does get hard when it's cold, but it will soften up right away from your body heat and then you sink into it and it's great!
Bob

my mattress is mem foam (2in mem/4in 'support'), it does turn into a concrete slab in cold but returns to normal as you heat it up...just expect discomfort for 20 mins as it 'melts' still its more comfortable than any other bed i had.

We sleep on an air mattress (Ozark Trail... it stretched for a month and we added air nightly until it stopped stretching) with a thick memory foam topper on top of that. It didn't take too many cold nights on an even colder mattress (the air mattress added to the cold memory foam) to slap a heated mattress pad (uses little electricity) on top of the memory foam topper. Now we can turn the heat on, crawl into a warm bed on really cold nights. It's dual controls so one side can be turned on and the other side not. So if one of us is sick, sore muscles the bed sized heating pad is very nice. No one ever told us about the Frozen Foam Syndrone. Another thing about memory foam is it likes to suck up moisture (heated pad helps dry it out). Keep an eye on the bottom side. It can get yukky. The covers on the mattress topper can be washed and you can flip the mattress over to air out the bottom. I have heard of a pad that you can put under memory foam mattresses that allow it to have air circulation on the bottom side.

Luisafernandes said:
At home I have a very nice 12" or 14" inch tempurpedic mattress that I slept on last winter, with no heat in the house, some nights went well below minus 15 and yes, the mattress was a little frozen, but after a few minutes and it was very comfortable.

The quality of memory foam varies from one manufacturer to another. Some will harden in cold weather, others not so much. Bringing up the interior temperature by means of a heater or even body heat will usually solve the problem. Personally, I hope to never be in my van in 20 degree weather. I much prefer to follow the good weather and enjoy life a bit.

I have an odd question. I've been measuring for my bed and I'm coming up with only y' in length (no more room) and 27" wide. I normally sleep on a couch so 27" is fine, but do I build a bed frame? If so, where do I find a mattress that size? Would a cot work better? I will definitely need storage under the bed, whichever way I go. Any and all help is appreciated...also, I've been told that the bed is the most important factor in mobile dwelling. At 6'3" 215lbs, having been in car and motorcycle wrecks, multiple sports injuries and still being very active (running) are these dimensions even doable? I'm worried that I'll be forced out of a new job as I'm going to need to travel and stealth in my Trooper. This job pays well and in this economy... Anyway, I hope this message finds the reader happy and well prepared for winter! - Slim.

Crap. 6' in length.

Custom sized mattresses are fairly common in the boating world, where they often end up with oddly sized or shaped berths.

The Foam Factory

Will make any size mattress you want, or sell you the raw materials to DIY if that's your pleaure.

Regards
John

compassrose said:
We sleep on an air mattress ... It didn't take too many cold nights on an even colder mattress ...

One trick my dad taught me, that he did during WWII, is to put an ounce or two of down into the air mattress. Greatly reduces the convective heat loss. If you are not deflating the mattress a lot, you don't have to worry about loosing the down.

-- Spiff

Latest posts