Longhandled vs. Folding Shovel?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanForNow

Reaction score
I just bought a folding shovel at the army surplus vendor's kiosk at Q.

I like the compactness of the folding shovel, but are there situations where a longhandled shovel is preferable? On the whole, which shovel should I keep, if not both?

When I was younger I hated folding shovels as I always seem to pinch myself or not have enough leverage to move dirt easily but now I'm older I tend to use the folding shovel like a hoe and manage to do more digging that I want. Most people don't realize how hard desert pavement gets but they work fine in loose sand. unless you have a lot of room the folding shovel gets my vote.

Let's see....leverage, reliability, earth moving capacity and a damned good snake killer. Full sized shovel wins hands down imo.

Folding shovels are short-handled, requiring constant deep bending and/or kneeling to use. 

Since I'm no longer a young whippersnapper, the long-handled shovel works fine for me.

What the hell are you guys digging for?? I mean unless it's to hide the body of someone who didn't think you'd pull the trigger it's a waste of time... :D

Pick mattock to break the surface before you dig with a long handled shovel.

Don't you know thar's gold in them hills! Ha!

A folding shovel is to a quality spade as a jackknife is to a solid, dependable, properly sharpened full-tang knife. I don't use the former in either category.

Now if I had to choose between "no shovel" or a folding shovel, there are *some* instances where I'd go with the folder...

You ever have to shovel snow drifts for a 1/4 mile you will surely thank heaven that you have a real full size shovel. Been several times in my life when having to go over a mountain pass that was snowed in I needed to shovel the road to keep the axles from high centering.

But then a snow shovel is not the same really as a digging shovel. The preppers gold standard is the Cold Steel shovel. It is short handled, nonfolding so may not be for everyone. Folding shovels are used but remember the folding mechanism may be a limitation in what it can do.

www.coldsteel.com/special-forces-shovel2.html (you can find this for about $25 without the sheath)

RVTravel said:
But then a snow shovel is not the same really as a digging shovel. The preppers gold standard is the Cold Steel shovel. It is short handled, nonfolding so may not be for everyone. Folding shovels are used but remember the folding mechanism may be a limitation in what it can do.

www.coldsteel.com/special-forces-shovel2.html (you can find this for about $25 without the sheath)

The snow I had to remove was the partially hard packed center stuff between the two wheel tracks.  A snow shovel would not have worked on it.  I only carry one shovel so for me I find one really good general purpose fixed shovel works best in most situations. Flattening dirt berms, digging out stuck vehicle, in high centering vehicle on snow, temp latrine holes, etc. Those shorty shovels will hurt your back  quickly when you are older.

Apparently everybody's never been around a prison road crew, a short handle shovel is a big part of the punishment.

Wanderer said:
What the hell are you guys digging for?? I mean unless it's to hide the body of someone who didn't think you'd pull the trigger it's a waste of time... :D

I have yet to actually use my shovel, but I'd much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. :dodgy:

Long handle is first choice for me. I have a camp fire lots and often cook in a camp oven. I also travel in sandy areas and sometimes need to dig material away from the front of a tyre. Easy digging if a cat hole is needed. Long handle keeps me further away from the nasty stuff if someone has not cleaned up after their dog. I keep the blade sharp with an occasional touch with an angle grinder.

Wanderer said:

I use mine every morning.